All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 3:27 am 

Quote:
Nothing ever happens twice or next
so you're off the hook anyway
yet the principles remain

@scarf

Appreciated your explanation of choice.

Respecting their freedom is a kind of indifference.

Peregrinus' metaphor of being the tree - strong in oneself, not controlling, allowing her her freedom to come and go. To choose. To fly away if she likes.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 10:37 am 

Let's say it is so

I'm not a nice tree though
Once the starling flutters away there's no coming back

I see some trees wanting to keep the bottom branch free
:mrgreen:

You hear about monkey branching

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 1:59 am 

That's the beauty of these threads. It started off with fufe's question and led to so much more.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 12:28 pm 

Hineini wrote: *

Appreciated your explanation of choice.

Respecting their freedom is a kind of indifference.

Peregrinus' metaphor of being the tree - strong in oneself, not controlling, allowing her her freedom to come and go. To choose. To fly away if she likes.
I'm really glad you found it useful - that was the point - that someone else may look at it and think 'hmm'.

Also, really love your interpretation quoted here. So that gives us three different versions; indifference (as proposed), not indifferent - your interests are at stake but you understand that other people have a choice and can abuse their position and thirdly, respecting someone's freedom of choice.

Really useful to have had Kidd's and Peregrinus' positions clarified in this thread too.

I would say the whole point of the different interpretations is to find what works for you. Sometimes, when you phrase something differently, it's easier to latch on to it.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 1:34 pm 
Site Admin

Scarf wrote: *
I'm really glad you found it useful - that was the point - that someone else may look at it and think 'hmm'.
I would say the whole point of the different interpretations is to find what works for you. Sometimes, when you phrase something differently, it's easier to latch on to it.
Quoted, because I cannot quote these enough!!!!

Scarf :)

In building a statue, a sculptor doesn't keep adding clay to his subject.He keeps chiseling away at the inessentials until the truth of its creation is revealed without obstructions. Perfection is not when there is no more to add,but no more to take away.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 4:59 pm 

Quote:
I'm not a nice tree though
Once the starling flutters away there's no coming back
Still nicer than the trees that try make the birds stay.
Quote:
You hear about monkey branching
This is a terribly good metaphor. Best to keep the monkeys out entirely; though my gut says Kidd would say they're all monkeys :lol:

Quote:
There is something under the words, the more different ways we hear it, the less we get lost in them.

On another level, I think I've seen you post this point before: we are all different and we'll have to find our own way.

Makes me think of a video Grinus posted on the value of bottom up learning; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tICD7YqssX8&t=640s.

Also, buried far back, a throwaway comment by KIdd!; something to the effect that this isn't exactly teachable. You need to go through it yourself.

I've been thinking lately about developing competence, and as a friend put it yesterday, "the importance of your relationship with trying".

Any real competence requires so much failing along the way. Being able to allow that is so crucial.

I'm still feeling out this space between... well space and.. doing.

Appreciate the teachers here and this space.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 2:17 am 

That's definitely a big focus for me this time back around here. To see what works for me, instead of trying to be a copy of someone else here.