Natural Freedom

Forum for the natural awakening and self-realization of men
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:38 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Why do I meditate?
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:41 pm 

Awhile ago someone asked me why do I meditate? What does it do for me?

A really good question, because I really didn't have a solid answer.

I started it because others raved about it and I thought it could help me somehow accomplish some of the things I had on my mind.

Today while driving I realized, I meditate because it helps me become more aware of what is happening inside.

:idea:

(good to know "why" I do what I do)

Post subject: Re: Why do I meditate?
PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 9:21 am 

I tried it, but never could hold it for long. Didn't provide results for me like for other people.

I do inner work, by going into what's happening inside, how I react to the world, etc. When I Find the truth, the things itself releases and disappears.

Works for me, I think different personalities different methods. I believe for some meditation will work to proccess emotional baggage (Peregrinus said it does for him), for me it didn't and it doesn't resonate with me. What I do to process emotional baggage does resonate with me

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 9:43 am 
Site Admin

Both of you make valuable points..

What works for us (me, you) does not necessarily work for others. What works for others does not necessarily work for us.

Part of the take what is useful and discard what is not, is determining what is useful or what works for me. Not anyone else, me.

Why I do something and what benefits doing it gives me is part of that process.

I use meditation as a tool and as time out. I know that did not work for me at certain times in my life, because it did not. At other times it was effective. Even the same thing can vary in effectiveness/usefulness depending on the situation..

In building a statue, a sculptor doesn't keep adding clay to his subject.He keeps chiseling away at the inessentials until the truth of its creation is revealed without obstructions. Perfection is not when there is no more to add,but no more to take away.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 3:54 pm 

"Time out" is a good word. It's helped create more space.

And yeah I agree, it's more important to do what works instead of trying to force something.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 4:26 pm 

Yeah, there's like more than a hundred of different methods... I kind of invented my own, it strongly resonated with me to do it my way, but I was also trying to listen to other guys giving me advice.
Thank god in the end I managed to pull it of, pretty much not knowing what I was doing, took a leap of faith and it worked, lol.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 4:46 pm 

Rest / sleep / cave time / meditation = build up testosterone.

Edit;

There is no set time for a man to be in his cave.
Sometimes it’s an hour. Sometimes it’s a week.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 5:29 pm 

fufe wrote: *
I tried it, but never could hold it for long. Didn't provide results for me like for other people.

I do inner work, by going into what's happening inside, how I react to the world, etc. When I Find the truth, the things itself releases and disappears.

Works for me, I think different personalities different methods. I believe for some meditation will work to proccess emotional baggage (Peregrinus said it does for him), for me it didn't and it doesn't resonate with me. What I do to process emotional baggage does resonate with me
Check out Holo Sync

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 11:29 pm 

fufe wrote: *
...it strongly resonated with me...
Bingo!

*edit just to edit :D

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:35 pm 

I think we all need some time away from the noise and crowds that urban life entails.

Nature therapy is what does it for me. Hiking a nearby forest.

Pay attention to the world around you as you walk through it. Listen to the sounds, feel the earth, the winds, the moisture, etc. Pay attention to your body, listen to your thoughts.

This time alone without distractions is vital to our good health, especially mental health.

This is why I have never been a group exerciser nor had an exercise partner. I don't want to talk to them or adjust my pace to them.

Meditation does not work for everyone, certainly not for me.

I stop thinking and just enjoy when I visit a natural attraction like this though.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:32 pm 

zogler wrote: *
I think we all need some time away from the noise and crowds that urban life entails.

Nature therapy is what does it for me. Hiking a nearby forest.

Pay attention to the world around you as you walk through it. Listen to the sounds, feel the earth, the winds, the moisture, etc. Pay attention to your body, listen to your thoughts.

This time alone without distractions is vital to our good health, especially mental health.

This is why I have never been a group exerciser nor had an exercise partner. I don't want to talk to them or adjust my pace to them.

Meditation does not work for everyone, certainly not for me.

I stop thinking and just enjoy when I visit a natural attraction like this though.
I workout with my brother sometimes but I agree with you.

I feel this applies to many areas in life.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 4:35 pm 

Give myself the gift of space.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:20 am 

Quote:
We would rather electrocute ourselves than spend time in our own thoughts

Maybe if we spent a little more time in contemplation we would not be so blinkered. Sadly, for many of us, it seems the prospect of spending time in our own thoughts is so anathema we’d actually rather electrocute ourselves. This was demonstrated dramatically in a 2014 study in which 67 per cent of male participants and 25 per cent of female participants opted to give themselves unpleasant electric shocks rather than spend 15 minutes in peaceful contemplation. Although others questioned the interpretation of the results, at least one other study has shown people’s preference for electrocuting themselves over monotony, and another found cross-cultural evidence for people’s greater enjoyment of doing some activity alone rather than merely thinking (also replicated here). The gist of these findings would seem to back up the verdict of the French philosopher Blaise Pascal who stated that “All of man’s troubles come from his inability to sit quietly in a room by himself”.
https://digest.bps.org.uk/2018/10/12/wh ... an-nature/

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 3:13 pm 

Mind-Body Practices and the Self: Yoga and Meditation Do Not Quiet the Ego but Instead Boost Self-Enhancement

Abstract
Mind-body practices enjoy immense public and scientific interest. Yoga and meditation are highly popular. Purportedly, they foster well-being by curtailing self-enhancement bias. However, this “ego quieting” effect contradicts an apparent psychological universal, the self-centrality principle. According to this principle, practicing any skill renders that skill self-central, and self-centrality breeds self-enhancement bias. We examined those opposing predictions in the first tests of mind-body practices’ self-enhancement effects. In Experiment 1, we followed 93 yoga students over 15 weeks, assessing self-centrality and self-enhancement bias after yoga practice (yoga condition, n = 246) and without practice (control condition, n = 231). In Experiment 2, we followed 162 meditators over 4 weeks (meditation condition: n = 246; control condition: n = 245). Self-enhancement bias was higher in the yoga (Experiment 1) and meditation (Experiment 2) conditions, and those effects were mediated by greater self-centrality. Additionally, greater self-enhancement bias mediated mind-body practices’ well-being benefits. Evidently, neither yoga nor meditation fully quiet the ego; to the contrary, they boost self-enhancement.
Quote:
Mind-body practices enjoy immense interest in the general public and many areas of psychology, including cognitive, social, and clinical. A foundational assumption of yoga philosophy and Buddhism is that mind-body practices quiet the ego and, thus, curtail or eliminate self-enhancement. Curtailed self-enhancement, in turn, has been described as a key process explaining the well-being benefits of mind-body practices.

However, the presumed effect of mind-body practices on curtailed self-enhancement has remained untested. This is unfortunate because there is a viable alternative to that ego-quieting hypothesis—the SCP-universal hypothesis. The SCP-universal hypothesis is a building block of the self-enhancement literature. It predicts that practicing any skill—and, thus, also mind-body practices—increases that skill’s selfcentrality, which in turn breeds self-enhancement bias regarding that skill. The SCP-universal hypothesis is well supported outside the mind-body domain.

Our findings have broad theoretical significance. Ego quieting is a central element of yoga philosophy and Buddhism alike. That element, and its presumed implications, requires serious rethinking. Moreover, ego quieting is often called on to explain mind-body practices’ well-being benefits. In contrast, we observed that mind-body practices boost self-enhancement, and this boost, in turn, elevates well-being. The latter finding is consistent with the literature on the well-being benefits of selfenhancement outside the yoga domain. In conclusion, despite claims to the contrary, mind-body practices do not undermine the universality of self-enhancement in self-central domains. The SCP appears to be an inextricable part of human nature.
http://www.soton.ac.uk/~crsi/Gebauer%20 ... 0(002).pdf

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 2:37 pm 

Strength training and stamina and bodyweight training, alone yes.

Wing Chun, boxing, martial arts, not possible w/o sensei and sparring.
You could learn single movements and combos, but to put the technology
together, you'd have to go to a sensei to max out benefits.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-paRIf5hWys

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 9:59 pm 

Because... all the True Treasures... are Within.

3Hearingstoriesabouttheirgrandparents,madethesonsintogreatsons.Allgreatheroesadoredheroeswhotheyregardedas 13xGreater thanthemselves-theGreatBeingsoftheFuturesPast-totheirlastbreath. :geek:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 2:58 pm 
Site Admin

The GK2 wrote: *
Because... all the True Treasures... are Within.
Some of them can benefit from the use of a mirror to spot and examine them.

In building a statue, a sculptor doesn't keep adding clay to his subject.He keeps chiseling away at the inessentials until the truth of its creation is revealed without obstructions. Perfection is not when there is no more to add,but no more to take away.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 7:28 pm 

French philosopher Blaise Pascal who stated that “All of man’s troubles come from his inability to sit quietly in a room by himself”.
[ img ]
Bump for this wonderful quote

Also, I find this 4m video interesting (on the topic of why inner issues and outer issues interwine and both are important. I'm not endorsing his speech in any way :lol: ): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_gJYxM6cMA (Meditation and the Useful Idiot - Yuri Bezmenov).
He's talking on the subject of Demoralisation of societies so that USSR / communists could control people easily. (I'll probably talk more on that in my censorship thread)
Quote:
After being assigned to a station in India, Bezmenov eventually grew to love the people and the culture of India, but at the same time, he began to resent the KGB-sanctioned oppression of intellectuals who dissented from Moscow's policies.[3] He decided to defect to the West.[3] Bezmenov is best remembered for his anticommunist lectures and books from the 1980s.
If you want the full interview : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrS1qDcgdTk (around 49m)