Natural Freedom

Forum for the natural awakening and self-realization of men
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:24 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 8:12 am 

How is your lifting/working out going?

I for one know that nothing makes me happier than pulling significantly more than my bodyweight after starting at 95 lbs this summer. Then enjoying a frosty cold one on a Friday night.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 12:02 pm 

I'm getting toned from making some adjustments to my workout program and I'm getting stronger, but I can't seem to gain any weight cuz it keeps fluctuating.

I think it may be my diet, still trying to figure out how to gain weight on a budget.

"Simply put, you being in her life is a BLESSING. Her wronging you in any way is her own self-inflicted CURSE, and if she does wrong you, then let the punishment fit the crime. Her life will absolutely SUCK without you."

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 5:14 pm 

I was having the same problem, the scale just would not go up even though my lifts were going up. What changed it for me was simply dirty bulking. A lot of $1 mcdoubles, taco bell bean burritos and softshell tacos. And then any sort of nut (peanuts, almonds, pistachios) really start to wrack up the calories. I'm up 12lbs and hope to get to 20 lbs up by mid February then start counting calories and cutting for the summer.

I really had to let my notions of "healthy eating" go to get in the needed calories. My lifts really started going up once I started getting the needed calories too.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 5:26 pm 

Yes, it's really enjoyable to see myself do stuff easily that I could barely do in the past.
Alchemist wrote:
I'm getting toned from making some adjustments to my workout program and I'm
getting stronger, but I can't seem to gain any weight cuz it keeps fluctuating.

I think it may be my diet, still trying to figure out how to gain weight on a budget.
Don't know how much you've researched, but here are some things that can stop you from gaining muscle.

1. Too high or too low reps and sets. Too high merely tones while too low only increases strength.

2. Insufficient diet. If you're not gaining weight even after using the proper amount of reps, then your diet may be the problem. Increase the amount you eat (500 calories or so is a good amount; if you don't like counting calories, then count using eggs, cups of milk or pieces of chicken, stuff like that) and see if you start to gain weight. If you do, then you can either keep your current diet or slowly decrease so you don't gain too much fat. If you don't, then increase the calorie intake again. Protein intake is normally not a problem unless you're vegetarian. Protein powder is unnecessary. Drink milk or eggs instead. You also don't need that 1g of protein per pound of bodyweight. Ignore that scam and read the amount of protein required according to the Dietary Reference Intake.

3. Rest. Your body builds muscle while resting. Get an appropriate amount of sleep. Also don't overtrain your muscles. Don't do ab exercises everyday. One body part per week is enough for most people. Legs just might be able to handle twice a week.

I just got these of the top of my head but these are usually the main problems. It can also be your body type. If you're one of the people that I have ridiculous metabolisms, then you need to greatly increase your calorie intake. Other problems are too long sessions (should only be 1 hour max), bad choices of exercises (absolutely no machines and preferably no cables either. No isolation exercises either. Compound exercises are best.), or lack of effort (this hopefully shouldn't be a problem).

If you need a routine, Ill happily give you one. Hope I help.
StephenP wrote:
I was having the same problem, the scale just would not go up even though my lifts were going up. What changed it for me was simply dirty bulking. A lot of $1 mcdoubles, taco bell bean burritos and softshell tacos. And then any sort of nut (peanuts, almonds, pistachios) really start to wrack up the calories. I'm up 12lbs and hope to get to 20 lbs up by mid February then start counting calories and cutting for the summer.

I really had to let my notions of "healthy eating" go to get in the needed calories. My lifts really started going up once I started getting the needed calories too.
Is it really necessary to eat all that unhealthy stuff? Couldnt you just, you know, drink whole milk or other fatty yet healthy stuff. You just suffered from lack of carbohydrates. Really, healthy high in carbohydrate foods are usually cheap, like rice or potatoes. That said, you don't have to abstain from eating junk food. I eat junk food like twice a week. However, eating more junk food in order to gain weight is just a terrible idea.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 5:42 pm 

Ray wrote:
Yes, it's really enjoyable to see myself do stuff easily that I could barely do in the past.
Alchemist wrote:

Don't know how much you've researched, but here are some things that can stop you from gaining muscle.

1. Too high or too low reps and sets. Too high merely tones while too low only increases strength.

2. Insufficient diet. If you're not gaining weight even after using the proper amount of reps, then your diet may be the problem. Increase the amount you eat (500 calories or so is a good amount; if you don't like counting calories, then count using eggs, cups of milk or pieces of chicken, stuff like that) and see if you start to gain weight. If you do, then you can either keep your current diet or slowly decrease so you don't gain too much fat. If you don't, then increase the calorie intake again. Protein intake is normally not a problem unless you're vegetarian. Protein powder is unnecessary. Drink milk or eggs instead. You also don't need that 1g of protein per pound of bodyweight. Ignore that scam and read the amount of protein required according to the Dietary Reference Intake.

3. Rest. Your body builds muscle while resting. Get an appropriate amount of sleep. Also don't overtrain your muscles. Don't do ab exercises everyday. One body part per week is enough for most people. Legs just might be able to handle twice a week.

I just got these of the top of my head but these are usually the main problems. It can also be your body type. If you're one of the people that I have ridiculous metabolisms, then you need to greatly increase your calorie intake. Other problems are too long sessions (should only be 1 hour max), bad choices of exercises (absolutely no machines and preferably no cables either. No isolation exercises either. Compound exercises are best.), or lack of effort (this hopefully shouldn't be a problem).

StephenP wrote:

Is it really necessary to eat all that unhealthy stuff? Couldnt you just, you know, drink whole milk or other fatty yet healthy stuff. You just suffered from lack of carbohydrates. Really, healthy high in carbohydrate foods are usually cheap, like rice or potatoes. That said, you don't have to abstain from eating junk food. I eat junk food like twice a week. However, eating more junk food in order to gain weight is just a terrible idea.
[ img ]

“I learned this, at least, by my experiment; that if one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours. . . ."

-Thoreau's Walden

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 6:02 pm 

The Pokemon Trainer wrote:
Ray wrote:
Alchemist wrote:

StephenP wrote:

[ img ]
I definitely did not say anything wrong. I do admit to excessively simplifying in order to not rehash information. If i did say anything wrong, then please enlighten me :geek:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 12:44 pm 

I agree with some of this Ray.

I can make adjustments to my diet but I'm on a budget so I will experiment. I always make maximum effort and I don't use machines apart from cables for internal/external rotation and part of my leg exercise.

I do have fast metabolism, I got bulky when I used to eat red meat all the time but that good too expensive so now I eat rice, chicken and eggs, stuff like that.

"Simply put, you being in her life is a BLESSING. Her wronging you in any way is her own self-inflicted CURSE, and if she does wrong you, then let the punishment fit the crime. Her life will absolutely SUCK without you."

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 10:03 pm 

GOMAD = Gallon Of Milk A Day.

If you don't gain on GOMAD, you're a freak.

"The society gives you a map; I give you only freedom. The society gives you character, I give you only consciousness. The society teaches you to live a conformist life ... I give you an invitation to go on an adventure." - Osho

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 7:44 pm 

I did a 7 week bulk phase...taking in like 4-5000 kcals a day and working out heavy 4 days a week...went from 208 to 240. I spent the money on solid weight gainer supps tho so ymmv.

I'm down to about 230 now...my muscles are starting to pop out. :mrgreen:

I'm slacking a bit for the holiday season and have a great deal of excuses that I'm comfy with (holiday meals, new baby, etc)...but soon after New Years I'll be back at it again in full force in the race to spring/summertime...lets go! :twisted:

Pimposophy Revisited is now finally available on Amazon in all territories!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 8:03 pm 

Nice ^^

In that case I might try to put on a little bit more by February. I just know from last year it inevitably takes longer to really get cut than I thought at first. Granted, I'm not perfect with it, still enjoy my social life and the food that comes with it.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 8:19 pm 

StephenP wrote:
Nice ^^

In that case I might try to put on a little bit more by February. I just know from last year it inevitably takes longer to really get cut than I thought at first. Granted, I'm not perfect with it, still enjoy my social life and the food that comes with it.
Yeah, I'm not trippin on washboard abs or anything lol...and I do enjoy my food. As long as my gut isn't flapping all over my belt line, I'm cool. 8-)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:10 am 

Kidd - How tall are you?

"The society gives you a map; I give you only freedom. The society gives you character, I give you only consciousness. The society teaches you to live a conformist life ... I give you an invitation to go on an adventure." - Osho

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:53 am 

6'2" :geek:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 5:53 am 

The Kidd!! wrote:
We´re the same height :D

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 6:26 am 

Merrick wrote:
The Kidd!! wrote:
We´re the same height :D
:mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:17 am 

6'2" 230 - remind me not to mess with you in a dark alley...

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:28 pm 

Meraki wrote:
GOMAD = Gallon Of Milk A Day.

If you don't gain on GOMAD, you're a freak.
This I'd recommend for people with fast metabolisms who really can't gain on a high calorie diet. That's a rare number of cases though. Everybody else should steer clear, the risks outweigh the benefits.

I'm cutting up my bulk with Insanity, on Week 3 now and beginning to see abs and shoulders popping out. To go with a forced low-calorie diet (student life, yay), my cut is going quite well.

I have started drinking more coffee though, I just don't have enough physical energy on this program, my swimming and a calorie restricted diet.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:52 pm 

It's too early to cut mass where I live. Summer starts in june so there's few more weeks to gain mass;]

I was born the son of evil when I fuck the devil there!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:26 pm 

rekieter wrote:
It's too early to cut mass where I live. Summer starts in june so there's few more weeks to gain mass;]
The difference is I'm not cutting so I can show off with my shirt off, it's snowing over here and I'm probably the only person cutting, but this is something I've wanted for a while now, so fuck it.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 2:10 am 

I stay lean all year around, I don't believe in off season anymore.
I can still gain 5kg / 11 lbs muscle / year. If my body fat % goes over 12
this year, I lose 5,000€ to my brother. He doesn't lose any money
if I can stay below 12. Basically this means that;

1) the scale cannot tip over 100kg/ 220 lbs until 1.1.2016 or
2) my waist cannot measure over 86cm / 34 in. (between now and 31.12.2015)
3) I gave him 5K now, ( I'll get it back in January 2016, maybe )

(and we've done this sort of deals before. Evolve or perish.)

I'll hit rhabdo if I have to :lol: