Natural Freedom

Forum for the natural awakening and self-realization of men
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:30 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 7:23 am 

I started in March of 2014 so I was gonna wait until then to post. I overhauled my workout to combat the fact I stopped gaining mass though. So I shall share them now.

I'm 6'1 started at 185 pounds came from a hard labour job. Which I wasn't in at the start of CC last March. I jumped in Veterano.

Full Push-ups Step 5 2x20 - Lever Pushups (Step 9) with perfect form arm tucked feet together 2x3

Full Squats (Step 5) 2x30 - Pistols (Step 10) a couple of good reps no that much though. Pulled a muscle so I have been working on Sissy Squats instead (which it doesn't seem to affect).

Chinups (Step 5) 2x8 - Uneven Chinups (Step 7) 2 reps each side

Leg Raises ( I forget missing that part) - Full Straight Leg Raises with no momentum 2-3 reps.

Bridges (Step 6) 2x2- Wall Walk Downs (Step 7) 1x3

Wall Handstands (Step 1) 40 seconds -1/2 Handstand Presses (Step 4) 2x5

I went from 185-190 to 200-205.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 6:29 pm 

Altair wrote:

I went from 185-190 to 200-205.
Just right.

Those step 10 one arm push ups are merciless, my little brother
bench pressed 350 lbs shirtless and he could not do 1,
(he is 5'10 and 210 lbs)

edit; next time, I will see how much I have to help him.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 8:26 pm 

They get even harder. The theory is that your triceps are always weaker than your pecs. The legit one arm push-ups are done feet together no bend in the hips and one hand completely in the middle of your chest. No twist in the shoulders or torso either. Straight as a board.

When you push-up its 70% of your weight. The hardest variation is like a triceps extension/close grip bench press of %140 of your body weight. Plus you have to use extra strength to stabilize yourself. It's unreal lol.

The guys in the DVDs couldn't even do it. They did snake push-ups. Which are still hard as fuck. If you could rep sets of 50 snake push-ups. You'd be untouchable.

It's cool you read the stuff. Most people think you cannot build strength with it and then when proved wrong. Then they don't believe it adds size. All wrong.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 3:44 pm 

Altair wrote:
I overhauled my workout to combat the fact I stopped gaining mass though. So I shall share them now.

I'm 6'1 started at 185 pounds came from a hard labour job. Which I wasn't in at the start of CC last March. I jumped in Veterano.
What program did you change from and when did it stop gaining mass? Damn, I can't wait to get going again.

3Hearingstoriesabouttheirgrandparents,madethesonsintogreatsons.Allgreatheroesadoredheroeswhotheyregardedas 13xGreater thanthemselves-theGreatBeingsoftheFuturesPast-totheirlastbreath. :geek:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 5:16 am 

Well the theory is that pure strength comes from an effectively trained nervous system. Which means lots of rest between sets.

Muscle growth comes from 1 min rest between sets to max hypertrophy.

So now it looks like

Monday

1/2 Handstand Pushups
Lever Pushups
2 sets of Close Grip Chinups
Wall Walk Downs

Tuesday

Full Bridges
Calf Raises 4 sets
Body Weight Squat variations
Uneven Chinups

Wednesday off then repeat for Thursday and Friday. Sat and Sun off. I stopped gaining mass a few months ago. My strength was still going up with no sign of leveling off. But I want to get bigger so I switched it up. I have a ton of pure strength built up from working Veterano for almost a year. So I will bulk for 6 months or so and then switch back to a pure strength type routine for a bit.

By then I will be in the neighbourhood of 220 or so. Which is where I want to be.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 8:01 am 

Altair wrote:
Well the theory is that pure strength comes from an effectively trained nervous system. Which means lots of rest between sets.

Muscle growth comes from 1 min rest between sets to max hypertrophy.
Hmmm, that's sounds interesting.

Usually, I just alternate between sets in quick succession. So if I am to focus on pure strength, does that count as rest? F.ex, Pullups - Squats - Pullups - Squats, and so on.

3Hearingstoriesabouttheirgrandparents,madethesonsintogreatsons.Allgreatheroesadoredheroeswhotheyregardedas 13xGreater thanthemselves-theGreatBeingsoftheFuturesPast-totheirlastbreath. :geek:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 12:30 pm 

6'1 @220 is pretty big I'd imagine. I'm 6'0@ 185 and people keeps commenting on it. I had barely noticed.

Anyway, I'd recommend everyone invest in a pair of Olympic rings. They are the ultimate for pure strength, mass and balance. Obviously a great addition to any calisthenic programme.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 12:38 pm 

Leo wrote:
Anyway, I'd recommend everyone invest in a pair of Olympic rings. They are the ultimate for pure strength, mass and balance. Obviously a great addition to any calisthenic programme.
I concur. I've had Golfer Elbow, and even vertical pullups (step 1) would just make it worse, but with Olympic rings? Nothing! :D

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:48 pm 

Yeah Olympic Rings are awesome. I'm gonna either invest in some or start going to the campus gym once I get that far. They make your core way stronger as well.

220 is pretty big. I'll have to see how I feel about it when I get there. I might shoot for 230 after another strength building phase.

And no it doesn't build pure strength when you super set like that. The idea is to train your nervous system without fatigue done to your muscles. Super sets train chemical stores and lead to muscle being built. You can build a decent amount of muscle with two hard sets with a 4 minute rest.

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 9:26 am 

Jared wrote:

Those step 10 one arm push ups are merciless, my little brother
bench pressed 350 lbs shirtless and he could not do 1

edit; next time, I will see how much I have to help him.
I'd say 10 lbs help for a >>snake>> push up,
and 20-25 lbs help for a cc push up lv 10

I'll be training outdoors for this, against a hill, starting with 45 degree slope.
I would like to see an adult do this clean:

https://youtu.be/JeJdRnTFnXA?t=40s
Leo wrote:
I'm 6'0@ 185 and people keeps commenting on it. I had barely noticed.
We are the same height, 205 lbs., peak weight 224lbs and shrunk back to
180lbs when I switched to endurance sports for 3 years. Making fast regains

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 3:04 am 

Hmm, do you think it's that little of an advantage Jared? I'm not sure actually what it would be. I dropped lever pushups and started doing one arm pushups shoulder width off the kitchen sink. I'll build my reps perfect the balance and then find a lower ledge and progress that way.

HSPU's are hard as fuck though. I still cannot do one. I can get about 3/4 of the way down and back up but not all the way down. How difficult are they? In CC he talks about people learning them in months. It's making me feel bad about myself lol.

I'm onto Step 8 for bridges though which is walk down the wall and back up. So I'm gonna be ready for closing bridges in a few months tops. I want to learn to do stand to stand bridges into a handstand then HSPU for reps.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 11:03 am 

Altair wrote:
Hmm, do you think it's that little of an advantage Jared? I'm not sure actually what it would be. I dropped lever pushups and started doing one arm pushups shoulder width off the kitchen sink.
Lever Push Ups are actually excellent.

In the DvD there are a few variations for push ups too,
like those Superman Push Ups (aka Jack LaLanne Push Ups)
You could use one hand in Superman position and the other
hand like in a normal push up (assisted Superman Push Up)
and progress

HandStandPushUps, definitely a single digit/ a low body fat
exercise, like Step 8 - 9 - 10 One Arm Pull Ups.

Edit; I haven't tried bench press in years, 10x 100kg (220 lbs) was easy.
I will occasionally check how that develops alongside w/chest workout.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 9:49 pm 

Yeah, they're an excellent exercise for sure. I found though that it was really hard to gauge how much pressure I was using from workout to workout. So I switched to angled one arm pushups over time I will lower the angle until I am on the floor.

The math on them works out to a 1 RM of 452lbs when you can do 20 with perfect form. At 205 pounds bodyweight.

I don't think HSPUs will prove that difficult at >10% bodyfat. I can probably do more than 25 chinups with perfect form and I'm 17% bodyfat. Could I cut down? Probably but I also enjoy eating entire pizzas at a time lol. The average for chinups at +200lbs is 1-3.

Superman pushups are an explosive exercise I'm working up to them. They're covered a lot in the newest book CC3.

I should check my bench at the end of the year. I don't have any idea what it would be. I can do one arm pushups off my knees no problem though so I would assume it's at least respectable.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 1:21 am 

While I'm thinking of it. There's a skill for increasing reps on movements called Grease The Groove. With G-T-G you just treat strength as a skill and do lots of reps without tiring out your muscles.
I tripled my Uneven Chinups max from 2 to 6 in a week. I'm gonna G-T-G them for a month wrapping the bar with a towel once they're easy to work my grip more.

Starting in July I'll G-T-G HSPUs and get them mastered long before my goal of doing one by the end of the year.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 4:40 pm 

When I get strong enough for hspus I am going to use the book pile method. It is basically a more granular approach instead of a half range of motion change from head to half to full you use a pile a books and you change the height as necessary. It goes like this -> static handstand -> 1 book rom hspu (head to book pile -1) -> 2 book rom hspu .... -> full rom hspu (no book pile) Possibly next is instead of a decreasing pile of books under my head I will start piling the books under my hands, if my joints can handle the increasing rom.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 12:34 am 

I do that too, I have a shoebox and stack of computer papers. I measured half range of motion and then just do that. It's so much easier because you don't have have to guess.

Once you build up to 2x15 HSPUs you can do close grip HSPUs. I remember reading one of the reason they're so much healthier for you than bar work. Is that it's a reduced range of motion that makes it so your rotator cuffs are never at a mechanical disadvantage.

I would look at some anatomy books and read some stuff before I started doing extended range of motion regularly.

Close Grip builds up your tendon strength which can exploited for uneven HSPUs which require more power. They're done by placing a basketball under one arm and doing your reps that way.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 2:16 am 

Jared wrote:

I'll be training outdoors for this...
Women and people decide it's time to get to know me when I'm training outdoors.
In the middle of a forest, in the park, track, wherever. ┐(‘~`;)┌
Haunted and stalked, when I want to train intensely, alone.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 5:38 am 
Site Admin

Jared wrote:
Jared wrote:

I'll be training outdoors for this...
Women and people decide it's time to get to know me when I'm training outdoors.
In the middle of a forest, in the park, track, wherever. ┐(‘~`;)┌
Haunted and stalked, when I want to train intensely, alone.

I remembered when I trained box and wanted to train the same way: intensely, alone, ... The ways of life.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 12:36 am 

I´m gonna be giving it a go. I have been doing a lot of endurance sports for the last years. Last year I seriously increased its intensity. My body fat is about 9%. I´m 5´7 and I weigh 130 lbs. Time to earn some upper body strength. Right now I only have legs, glutes and abs.

So, thanks for the review. It helped me make my mind. I was looking for the last two weeks into designing workout plan for myself. I thought of making a home gym, just so I actually start doing it. I can´t somehow get myself into gym plus I can´t stand the music they often played there when I had a membership few years ago.
On the top of that I still wanna cycle, I am one of the strongest riders in the area and wanna keep it that way. Making long distances however is time taking no matter how fast you are going so any time saved for me is crucial.

I got that book already so I guess I will be posting about my progress at some point in the future.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 3:54 am 

Cool man, let us know how it goes.

That's pretty low, my bodyfat is 17% lol. I eat entire pizzas at a time though.