Natural Freedom

Forum for the natural awakening and self-realization of men
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:36 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:10 pm 
Site Admin

In Search Of The Perfect Human Diet
Quote:
A global quest for a solution to the current obesity epidemic. It explores modern dietary science, previous historical findings, ancestral native diets and the emerging field of human dietary evolution.
Homepage : http://www.perfecthumandiet.com/

Review : http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/booksa ... n-Diet.htm

Review : http://www.marksdailyapple.com/in-searc ... z2L4Be7UEm

IMDB : http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2014248/

To watch : http://documentarylovers.net/in-search- ... uman-diet/

In building a statue, a sculptor doesn't keep adding clay to his subject.He keeps chiseling away at the inessentials until the truth of its creation is revealed without obstructions. Perfection is not when there is no more to add,but no more to take away.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:01 pm 

Thanks, this is a topic I love and I will certainly check this out.

Just like with inner work, I've found this to be a highly personal journey that requires you to experiment, make sacrifices (ie give up foods you love in the name of science), be disciplined and observant. Your body is unique and it does know what you need, but it is obscured by tons of emotional content as well as what's in your body right now that may need to be cleansed.

Educate yourself and check out everything you find useful, just remember that your goal is to find YOUR perfect diet, not THE perfect diet, as you are 100 trillion cells with your own unique makeup, born in the unique age you are born in, with your own unique blood type/climate/ethnic mix etc etc. Books / movies like this one usually help inspire this in me or show me a new direction for experimentation and improvement.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 6:58 pm 

By coincidence (?), this topic was posted 40 minutes after another topic I created.

My position is that there should be some good evidence for anything we do, whether it is a food, a diet, a herb, a medicine, a supplement, a treatment, or anything. We should also be aware of the potential harm and/or side effects.

Good evidence means peer reviewed published studies in mainstream scientific journals. That is, real credible science.

Anyone can came out and make virtually any claim they want. Nutrition is a hard science and not decided by marketing and advertising, individual belief or popular opinion.

This film is based on anecdotal evidence. The fact that most physicians/dieticians recommend something has little to do with the science or even the welfare of their patients. (But, more to do with ego, money, education by the drug companies, and fear of lawsuits.)

People love to hear good news about their bad habits. It is human nature. I deeply respect our personal freedoms to do as we wish (as long as it doesn't harm others). What I don't respect are misleading claims at a time when our society has serious health problems and people are looking for serious advice.

Starches have fueled the engines of human civilizations for at least the past 14,000 years. Carbohydrates (starches), such as rice in Asia, corn in Central America, potatoes in South America, and barley and wheat in Europe, have provided the bulk of the calories for almost all human diets. Only a few small primitive populations, living at the extremes of the environment, such as the Inuit (Eskimos), have been fueled by saturated fats. Just as undeniable, worldwide today, populations of people who consume the greatest amounts of carbohydrate are the trimmest and fittest, and also have the lowest incidence of heart disease and diabetes. This truth is confirmed by observing the change that occurs when people from Japan, for example, migrate to the United States or Europe. As they eat less rice (carbohydrate) and more saturated fat (meat and dairy products) they become fatter and sicker.

Try not to be fooled. I realize there is a lot to know in order to reveal their trickery. Start by finding out who funds the paper - this should give you all the doubt you need to discount their findings as an advertisement.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:17 pm 

The description sounded like a study of diets of older times- from what you are saying it sounds like this is not just an objective look at information? Not that id be shocked.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:12 pm 

This should expand a bit about eating habits for individuals Enjoy...

http://www.amazon.com/The-Metabolic-Typ ... yping+diet

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:18 pm 

Flow83 wrote:
The description sounded like a study of diets of older times- from what you are saying it sounds like this is not just an objective look at information? Not that id be shocked.
Quoting from: http://www.drmcdougall.com/misc/2012nl/feb/excerpt.htm

"Look at a globe: Any region with a large population of trim, healthy people reveals the same truth: Healthy populations get most of their calories from starch. Eat a traditional meal in Japan, China, or most any Asian country and you will find your bowl filled with rice, possibly alongside sweet potatoes and buckwheat. The same truth dates back throughout recorded human history. The Incas of South America centered their diet on potatoes. The Incan warriors switched to quinoa for strength prior to battle. The Mayans and Aztecs of Central America were known as “the people of the corn.” The Egyptians’ starch of choice was wheat. Throughout civilization and around the world, six foods have provided our primary fuel: barley, maize (corn), millet, potatoes, rice, and wheat."

Quoting from: http://www.drmcdougall.com/forums/viewt ... et#p196383

"While we are human primates and close cousin of the non-human primates, there are several distinct differences (besides the obvious) relating to food and our digestive capacities and biology.

Quoting from:

Nat Genet. 2007 October; 39(10): 1256–1260. Diet and the evolution of human amylase gene copy number variation

"Therefore, the average human has ~3 times more AMY1 copies than chimpanzees, and bonobos may not have salivary amylase at all. Outgroup comparisons with other great apes suggest that AMY1 copy number was most likely gained in the human lineage, rather than lost in chimpanzees 21,22 . Given that AMY1 copy number is positively correlated with salivary amylase protein level in humans, it stands to reason that the human-specific increase in copy number may explain, at least in part, why salivary amylase protein levels are ~6-8 times higher in humans than in chimpanzees 23. These patterns are consistent with the general dietary characteristics of Pan and Homo; chimpanzees and bonobos are predominantly frugivorous and ingest little starch relative to most human populations 24. "

Humans have 600-800% more starch splitting enzymes than bononos and chimpanzees, and this is not by accident or a freak of nature. It is consistent with most all human primates."
Resonance wrote:
This should expand a bit about eating habits for individuals Enjoy...

http://www.amazon.com/The-Metabolic-Typ ... yping+diet
These people' method defies common sense. They say that their claims are based on science but, if so, where is the evidence? I see none. To say that we can determine, with any certainty, our nutritional type, based on our personal but very nebulous assessment of our metabolism is hokey pokey.

They have no idea what is metabolism. It changes and responds continuously and it is an enormously complex system of digestion, absorption, transport, enzymatic synthesis and breakdown of intermediates and distribution, excretion and storage of metabolites, all in an effort to maintain homeostasis. Reducing this concept to a simple phenomenon of energy use, which we can assess for ourselves, is more superficial than adjectives can describe.

They claim to have helped tens of thousands of patients, yet have conducted no research to document their claims about metabolic and nutritional typing. These people are story tellers and unfortunately, most people are not trained to discern the difference between story telling and scientific evidence, which has allowed them to develop a large following.

On metabolism: http://www.jeffnovick.com/RD/Newsletter ... olism.html

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:10 am 

The food debates make me crazy whenevr an absolute truth tries to be declared and I go back to what I said about it being extremely individual.

What I mean is that no matter what you read, if it resonates with you use it as an experiment on yourself and not something you adopt as a belief or truth. Try lowering carbs for a while - try being vegetarian, try whatever and make this a personal journey. Unless you are writing a doctoral thesis than who gives a shit how it works for anyone else. A pretty large percentage of this stuff IMHO is to create a "brand" ie paleo diet because then you can market off of it.

Thanks for the future reading zogler and all.

My thing is always to start with the rather universals-- eat more green veg, cut out the obvious shit ie fried, fast food, refined sugar. This stuff alone would be insane improvement for high majority of Americans.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:42 am 
Site Admin

zogler wrote:
By coincidence (?), this topic was posted 40 minutes after another topic I created.
Your post reminded me when I watched the film in your post, it also reminded me of when I watched this. Hence the post.

I in no way state the film is correct, or to be followed.. Simply another angle on a complex topic.

With both, take what you find useful to YOU, discard the rest. Feel free to discuss with others, discussions are aided by adding viewpoints, rather than limiting them.

In building a statue, a sculptor doesn't keep adding clay to his subject.He keeps chiseling away at the inessentials until the truth of its creation is revealed without obstructions. Perfection is not when there is no more to add,but no more to take away.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 2:17 pm 

Fair enough, this is my last post on the subject, with which I end my knowledge donation. There are PMs for further details, if anyone is interested.

Humans are most often described as omnivores. After the analysis our gastrointestinal tract structure and its comparison with the GI tract of carnivores, omnivores and herbivores, this paper concludes that humans are "commited" herbivores and our GI tract is designed for a purely plant-based diet: The Comparative Anatomy of Eating

Omnivores don't kill their meat by proxy, isolate solely the muscle meat, perform chemistry (cook in heat), and then add seasonings to meal. They consume animals, whole, fresh, and raw.

Humans tongues respond pleasurably to sweet (carbohydrates), but have lost the taste for amino acids, placing us undeniably in the category of herbivores (plant eaters). We only appear to be omnivorous because we have the ability to “doctor up” meat with salt and sauces (barbecue, sweet and sour, marinara, etc.) sufficiently enough to make it palatable.I dare everyone who claims meat is tasty to eat a large plate of plain, unseasoned, boiled beef or boiled chicken.

Last but not least, allthough I generally don't judge a book by its cover, physicians and dieticians ought to lead by example by maintaining a healthy body weight (which is a reflection of their lifestyle and the result of practicing what they recommend). Low-carb diets make people fat and sick. The personal appearance of overweight diets experts speak volumes about these diets: Low Carb vs. Plant-Based

I am neither omniscient nor an evangelist or fundamentalist. I am just a HUGE fan of insisting that anyone who makes any kind of claims about health and lifestyle be challanged to provide the "proof".

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:56 pm 

zogler wrote:
Fair enough, this is my last post on the subject, with which I end my knowledge donation. There are PMs for further details, if anyone is interested.

Humans are most often described as omnivores. After the analysis our gastrointestinal tract structure and its comparison with the GI tract of carnivores, omnivores and herbivores, this paper concludes that humans are "commited" herbivores and our GI tract is designed for a purely plant-based diet: The Comparative Anatomy of Eating

Omnivores don't kill their meat by proxy, isolate solely the muscle meat, perform chemistry (cook in heat), and then add seasonings to meal. They consume animals, whole, fresh, and raw.

Humans tongues respond pleasurably to sweet (carbohydrates), but have lost the taste for amino acids, placing us undeniably in the category of herbivores (plant eaters). We only appear to be omnivorous because we have the ability to “doctor up” meat with salt and sauces (barbecue, sweet and sour, marinara, etc.) sufficiently enough to make it palatable.I dare everyone who claims meat is tasty to eat a large plate of plain, unseasoned, boiled beef or boiled chicken.

Last but not least, allthough I generally don't judge a book by its cover, physicians and dieticians ought to lead by example by maintaining a healthy body weight (which is a reflection of their lifestyle and the result of practicing what they recommend). Low-carb diets make people fat and sick. The personal appearance of overweight diets experts speak volumes about these diets: Low Carb vs. Plant-Based

I am neither omniscient nor an evangelist or fundamentalist. I am just a HUGE fan of insisting that anyone who makes any kind of claims about health and lifestyle be challanged to provide the "proof".
Great post.

For what it's worth - after a few months of a strict cleansing type diet and then a three day fast, I lost all taste for meat. That was at least 5 years ago now. There is no discipline in me being a vegetarian nor is there a moral cause or stance about it. I literally have no desire for it, and in fact years ago when id try a little ie some thanksgiving turkey I felt sick immediately.

If I had just "cut back" I'd never have learned this about myself because I would never have gotten to the point where my system was clean enough to show me something different in terms of what I "wanted"

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:41 pm 
Site Admin

zogler wrote:
zogler wrote:
We only appear to be omnivorous because we have the ability to “doctor up” meat with salt and sauces (barbecue, sweet and sour, marinara, etc.) sufficiently enough to make it palatable.I dare everyone who claims meat is tasty to eat a large plate of plain, unseasoned, boiled beef or boiled chicken.
Why boiled?

Going off your previous part... Surely raw is the way it should be.

Raw unseasoned beef or chicken..

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 4:29 am 

Check out bulletproof executive. This guy knows what he's talkin about

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 7:21 am 
I thinks the prefect human diet is natural diet,.
Natural vegetables and juices are best way to get healthy and fitness body,.
I properly use only natural diet like vegetables , milk , yogurt and fruits,.

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 6:07 pm 

Quote:
Then again plant eaters don't harvest their vegetables and then cook them. Alas, only Humans do that. Many, if not most vegatables are indigestible(and in the case of broccolli and kale far too bitter for my liking) in their raw form and a complete bitch to eat.That's why we cook them. To subsist successfully on raw vegetation alone would require an inordinate amount of time spent chewing, and chewing and chewing and chewing and chewing in order to consume it. You know, like Gorilla's, cows, giraffes, horses and the like. Anything with big ass teeth basically and the digestive system to assimilate it - let alone the hours in the day to spend eating!

I know you're advocating a starch based diet and not an exclusively plant based one, but can you really criticise the reason people cook meat and yet sanction the same proccess for cooking starch?
Quote:
We only appear to be omnivorous because we have the ability to “doctor up” meat with salt and sauces (barbecue, sweet and sour, marinara, etc.) sufficiently enough to make it palatable.I dare everyone who claims meat is tasty to eat a large plate of plain, unseasoned, boiled beef or boiled chicken.
And rice and potato's don't require cooking in heat to make palatable(let alone edible)? Are they particularly appealling without any additional seasonings?

I eat meat plain whenever I cook it. It's fine, neither repulsive nor delicious. Pretty much the same for plain rice or potato. I don't think either side of the debate is entirely objective though.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 4:10 pm 

http://scienceblogs.com/tetrapodzoology ... -and-deer/

The above article shows that sometimes life requires certain minerals and can be very flexible on sources of nutrition if required.

I was reading some philosophy and the advice from ~2000 years ago was eat for health and strength only, in moderation and without haste or greed (paraphrasing Musonius Rufus). It is possible that once you are getting all the minerals and vitamins you need that what becomes less important than when, why and how.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 8:53 pm 

I actually had several instances of eating green leafy vegetables and it tasted fucking great. Most of the time they doesn't, but once every now and then I just crave it, eat some (while it tastes great) and then I am disinterested again.
My body goes maximum yolo sometimes

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 6:29 am 
GlennMarsh wrote:
I thinks the prefect human diet is natural diet,.
Natural vegetables and juices are best way to get healthy and fitness body,.
I properly use only natural diet like vegetables , milk , yogurt and fruits,.
What is your natural diet?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 1:28 am 

peregrinus wrote: *
Why boiled?

Going off your previous part... Surely raw is the way it should be.

Raw unseasoned beef or chicken..
Grinus, what is your diet like?

"...There is only one thing you can do. Master that one thing!...What you must be doing is visualizing yourself at your most powerful. You don't need any external enemies. The only opponent you must fight, is none other than your own image."

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 5:54 pm 
Site Admin

Flux wrote: *
Grinus, what is your diet like?
Unprocessed as much as possible (cheat days)
Raw ingredients, locally sourced as much as possible. (read locally produced)
A lot less meat than when younger.
Veg/herb plot in garden that is going year round. (plus freezer for out of season)
The majority of sauces are prepared by me from raw.
Contains oily fish, nuts, legumes, ginger, garlic and honey.
Very seasonal and variable.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 1:11 pm 
Our system is designed to survive a famine.
Is it possible to trick our bodys that we are in a famine?
we are almost everything eater and we loose this abilty with every generation. Thats why we cook.
All other animals are disgusted because we have.to process the food to the form of a vomit (i spoke with a wise chimpanzee about this ; )