Natural Freedom

Forum for the natural awakening and self-realization of men
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:52 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Healthy Eating
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:02 pm 

I've read a lot about eating healthy and it seems a lot of people disagree on what healthy eating looks like. I want to be healthy and lose weight. I work out 4x a week mostly with weights, doing a powerlifting work out two lower body days two upper body days. I must eat around 3000-3500 calories a day due to fitness calculators saying I'd need around 3500 to maintain. I like to eat, I'm not really fat, I want to get cut although. I'm not sure if I get enough protein in a day, I have little control over whats for dinner on a weekly basis. Some days I'll get choices, but not usually.

In the morning I have Organic cereal with 2% milk, yogurt with cottage cheese, flaxseed meal, and wheat germ. I have a banana usually too. Seems like all flavored yogurts have way too much sugar tho :/. I drink fruit juice for vitamins. Sugar :/.

For lunch I usually have a sandwich chicken deli meat with cheese. Maybe spinach and lettuce. I have an apple too.

I like to eat peanuts for snacks. Usually too many because I get hunger. From 170-1000 calories from these sometimes lol.

For dinner could be anything.

I wanna cut sugar, get more protein, and eat less while not starving.

I'm like 6'1" and 178lbs. Haven't measured myself in a while I'm above 6' tho. I'm thinking of replacing the yogurt and stuff with protein powder. I've heard the paleo diet's good for your teeth, dunno what's healthy anymore :/. My gums seem like they've been receding and I found a site (http://www.curetoothdecay.com/) that recommends the paleo diet. Not sure how legit the site is.

Post subject: Re: Healthy Eating
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:14 pm 

Go for the Warrior Diet, limit your carbs to pre and post workout meals while cutting out sugar and you'll be a cut, buff dude.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:41 pm 
Your gums are receding because you're not brushing your teeth well, and you're not using the right toothpaste.

If you can run 8 miles a day on top of your workouts then you'll lose weight.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:29 pm 

Regarding the Paleo Diet: http://www.drmcdougall.com/misc/2012nl/jun/paleo2.htm

You are consuming far too many calories, around 2000 should be the upper limit. Weight control is about calories in vs calories out and you don't need more than 20-30 minutes of exercise per day. Muscle building requires adequate resistance training and not excess protein. This article will help let go of the myth about protein requirements: http://www.drmcdougall.com/misc/2004nl/ ... erload.htm

I suggest you do high-intensity interval training (HIIT) 3 times per week to get more bang for your buck. Also resistance train 3 times per week (calisthenics would be the ideal choice).

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:18 am 

rkd1990 wrote:
Your gums are receding because you're not brushing your teeth well, and you're not using the right toothpaste.

If you can run 8 miles a day on top of your workouts then you'll lose weight.
Hahaha. Explain on the brushing. I've changed my brushing to be more like http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzXRehGBEOg. Been brushing wrong all my life, will the gum ever go back? In the last two months I've changed brushing I think. What kind of tooth paste do you use?
zogler wrote:
Regarding the Paleo Diet: http://www.drmcdougall.com/misc/2012nl/jun/paleo2.htm

You are consuming far too many calories, around 2000 should be the upper limit. Weight control is about calories in vs calories out and you don't need more than 20-30 minutes of exercise per day. Muscle building requires adequate resistance training and not excess protein. This article will help let go of the myth about protein requirements: http://www.drmcdougall.com/misc/2004nl/ ... erload.htm

I suggest you do high-intensity interval training (HIIT) 3 times per week to get more bang for your buck. Also resistance train 3 times per week (calisthenics would be the ideal choice).
Interesting reads. I actually agree mostly with them. 30 grams seems so low. I've tried to find bodybuilders who eat a low amounts of protein and found none :/. I think calisthenics are good, but to a point. Eventually you have to change the exercise (pushup to one handed pushup), add weight, or do a too many reps. I quit weight training before and did calisthenics did a lot of reps and took too much time. My goals are to get stronger in the powerlifts and look better, hence a powerlifting workout. Thanks for the advice tho.

Tell me what do you eat and how much do you spend a week on groceries? Maybe I can convince my family to make changes in the shopping department :/.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:38 am 

spaceman wrote:
Good books on healthy eating:
The Okinawa Program (The people of Okinawa Japan are some of the most healthy people in the world)
How to live 100 years (I believe it's available free online somewhere)
The Tao of Healthy Eating by Bob Flaws (explains eating based on traditional Chinese medicine)
The secret to longevity in the east is, they don´t
report their grandparents death immediately. :lol:

In Vietnam they put a deceased 6ft under, after 7
years they dig the corpse up and burn it and then it is
dead. (some ethnic minority group)

(I´m a walking encyclopedia of weirdness vol.2 :roll: )

///

I keep my diet low meat, except for fish.
That has worked for me personally.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:40 am 

Vegan bodybuilder interview: http://vivalavegan.net/community/articl ... hlete.html
I consider him as a bodybuilder and not the usual guys, like the ones you have asked about protein, who are on steroids and/or creatine. Their body is artificial, unhealthy and has nothing to do with excess protein. Read this FAQ: http://engine2diet.com/about_e2/FAQ#2-Enough Protein

Apparently I don't consume meat (including poultry, fish, eggs) and dairy and keep oil to a minimum amount (which will be zero when I leave my family and start living alone in a couple of months). Also I don't consume processed food, alcohol, caffeine and don't smoke. I prefer to be lean and keep my BMI in the lower range (18.5-22) as it has been proven the most beneficial. For the longest healthiest life, the CR (Calorie Restriction) data clearly shows that the goal is really to consume as little calories as possible to maintain a healthy weight as well as the least amount of exercise to get the associated health benefits.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:35 am 
Site Admin

Decrease the insuline provider bitch (carbohydrates), expend some energy via (cardio, interval trainings)
Sleep well, stop whining :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 4:33 pm 

In an age before the development of nutritional science, before we gave any
thought about what was good or bad for us, all we knew was that to stay healthy,
one should eat in moderation. Which has broader application? Which is more
effective? Modern nutritional science with its specialized research or traditional
admonitions for moderation at mealtime? Modern nutritional science may appear to
have broader application because it considers all cases. Yet it forbids first one thing
then another, so people keep running into walls and struggling with a lot of new
problems. Cruder but complete, the simple knowledge that one should eat with
moderation applies to all people and thus it works better. This is so because
knowledge that is less discriminating has wider application.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 5:08 pm 

zogler wrote:
Vegan bodybuilder interview: http://vivalavegan.net/community/articl ... hlete.html
I consider him as a bodybuilder and not the usual guys, like the ones you have asked about protein, who are on steroids and/or creatine. Their body is artificial, unhealthy and has nothing to do with excess protein. Read this FAQ: http://engine2diet.com/about_e2/FAQ#2-Enough Protein

Apparently I don't consume meat (including poultry, fish, eggs) and dairy and keep oil to a minimum amount (which will be zero when I leave my family and start living alone in a couple of months). Also I don't consume processed food, alcohol, caffeine and don't smoke. I prefer to be lean and keep my BMI in the lower range (18.5-22) as it has been proven the most beneficial. For the longest healthiest life, the CR (Calorie Restriction) data clearly shows that the goal is really to consume as little calories as possible to maintain a healthy weight as well as the least amount of exercise to get the associated health benefits.
The pro bodybuilders are on roids. However People can gain a lot of mass, the only way I've none is to eat more. I think the most muscle a person can put on in a month is like 2.5lbs. Most powerlifters eat like a horse. They get buff, but also fat for the most part lol. Do the the vegan bodybuilders actually gain much weight? In the future I want to be around 230 as an upper weight amount. I was 62 pounds away from a triple bodyweight squat in April, I think I'll test my maxes again in September. I've done 420 x 5 so theoretically I could have been closer. I want to compete someday and I'll need to get bigger and stronger before.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 5:44 pm 

I believe health is the most important thing in life and therefore we should be serious about it.

Dali, read this about the glycemic index and the myth of insulin resistance due to carbohydrates: http://www.drmcdougall.com/misc/2006nl/ ... ycemic.htm

GoldenBoy, moderation kills with regard to health and nutrition (at least in the way we use it). You could find this an interesting read: http://www.facebook.com/notes/jeff-novi ... 7727931818 (Part 2 is about the "holy" oil).

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:13 pm 

zogler wrote:
GoldenBoy, moderation kills with regard to health and nutrition (at least in the way we use it). You could find this an interesting read: http://www.facebook.com/notes/jeff-novi ... 7727931818 (Part 2 is about the "holy" oil).
That is only if you consider 'western food (yes I read your link ... :arrow: :? )' as nutrition (the way we use it part ;))

Don't get me wrong, I intended to nutrition studies before moving to agriculture (the healthiest food is the one "you make").

I read tons of books on nutrition, each contradicting the last, forbitting this, that, the other.
On what is based their sayings ?
1. Studies of supposed centenarians people (Okinawa, Crete, Hunzas ...)
Okinawa : Rich consumption of fish, rice, algaes ... and supposedly (arecent study denied it) tofu
Crete : Olive oil and other things ...
Hunzas : An english journalist went there, and they probably mixed their ages (see jarod's post).

2. Studies of large group of people (The chinese study if I recall) ...

3.Beliefs (vegetarianism, Dissociated, Dunkan ...)

All these have flaws :
1 and 2 : Even if it is said that "you are what you eat", "let food be your medicine" ... You can't separate environment (okinawa is a peaceful island (at least now ...), crete too, the way your body respond ("one person's food is another's poison"), your stress ... gender (80% of okinawan centenarians are women if I recall correctly)

There has been a study on a small italian village (where they ate plenty of meat ...) where genes enter (high level of incest / consanguinity, with a longevity gene)

----> Other factors than food. (exercice for example)

3 : Some people will plenly make you subjects to their experimentation ... they have a flash :
'Eating a large amount of protein causes the body to burn fat' (Dunkan) -> Protein protein protein until you puke, faint or whatever ...

Even George Ohsawa, with his macrobiotics didn't make it to 75 yo ...

Do what you think/feel is best, see where it leads.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:45 pm 

I want to keep it simple for you I trust this resource its been invaluable to me hope you can get some benefit out of it.http://jcdfitness.com/2012/06/how-to-bu ... beginners/

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:46 pm 

All large populations of trim, healthy people, throughout verifiable human history have obtained the bulk of their calories from starch.

Barley - Middle East for 11.000 years
Corn (maize) - North, Central and South America for 7.000 years (Aztecs and Mayas - People of the Corn)
Millet - Africa for 6.000 years
Rice - Asia for more than 10.000 years
Wheat - Near East for 10.000 years
Potatoes - South America (Andes) for 13.000 years
Legumes - Americas, Asia and Europe for 6.000 years
Oats - Middle East for 11.000 years
Sorghum - East Africa for 6.000 years
Sweet Potatoes - South America and Caribbean for 5.000 years
Rye - Asia for 5.000 years

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 9:50 pm 

What about before agriculture, weren't people healthy (clue : you wouldn't be here) ?
Aren't eskimos healthy ?
And chimps, bonobos ? (Paleo diet ;))

If I say that the milk industry CLEARLY states that milk (and yogurt, cheese ...) is GOOD, HEALTHY now, when many studies show this, and OTHERS show the contrary (well calcium is supposedly good for bones and everything, but there are more arthrytis and other problems in western culture than asia or africa) ... do you see a similarity ?

Up to you to believe one or the other ... but keep in mind that it's a belief, we eat ideas.
The human species has conquered every environment, every continent.
Only omnivores can do that ;)

The 'problem' here is the definition of health.
I know fifty years ago in france they ate up to 3000 calories (butter, meat) , drank more than a liter of wine a day, and were strong and healthy (farmers at least), sure they may die at 60 or 70, but they were healthy all the way.

Do you prefer to live up to 90 with 2 or 3 visits (dentist, ophtalmologist, dermatologist, brain surgeon, ...) by year checking everything, ending in a retirement home because your family won't take care of you, you can't walk ..., or 'just' 75 or 80, strong healthy, independent ... ?

That was a long shot ... all that to say starch made it EASY for people to eat (good conservation, easily storable, many nutrients ...), but the first thing that came to mind when you said that was 'propaganda', like "eat starch and you'll live to 100, healthy ..." just to sell their starch as they do now with the milk and meat industries (the clue is in the name ...).

I'll end with that, or I'll write all night!

The only thing I want to emphasize is that when you separate diet from the other elements (environment, your tastes, your eating habits, the way you relate to food (chocolate is NOT a comfort food :mrgreen: ) ...) it will lead nowhere (well that's probably up to those who will try all those diets to see for themselves).

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:53 am 

It appears that the entire diet of our very early human ancestors (based on the findings from two members of the genus Australopithecus), dating from 2 million years ago, consisted almost exclusively of leaves, fruits, wood and bark.

By nature, the Paleo Diet is based on artery-clogging saturated fats and cholesterol, and bone-damaging, acidic proteins from animal foods. Respected researchers find that those modern-day hunter-gather populations who base their diets on meat, such as the Inuits (Eskimos), suffer from heart disease and other forms of atherosclerosis, and those modern-day hunter-gathers who base their diets on plant foods (starches) are free of these diseases. Osteoporosis, from their high animal food-based diets, is also epidemic among meat and fish consuming hunter-gathers, specifically the Inuits.

My definition of healthy people does not include people suffering from lifestyle diseases. You are free to choose whatever you like but deep inside you know the truth about the western pattern diet. People love to hear good news about their bad habits. It reminds of religion, which is blind faith contradicted by facts. Since whatever I have mentioned so far is supported by facts and rational analysis, I find no reason to keep on arguing in this topic. For further questions or specifications there are personal messages.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:15 am 

I knew I should have read more carefully before answering :
Quote:
I believe health is the most important thing in life and therefore we should be serious about it.
No need for further comments :ugeek: .

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:20 am 

I'll leave my last comment to Quagmire (Family Guy S10E07) :
Quote:
"I keep a food journal to stay healthy. Look, today I ate peaches, ginger, honey, candy, olive.. You know what, this is the wrong list"
:mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:08 am 

Check out bulletproofexec.com. This guy inspired me to call myself a biohacker which is basically what the ancient Chinese were. You ingest something, exercise, meditate, etc. and measure the effects on your body. Nowadays we have have technology to assist us which makes it more accurate and faster.

This site has an elephant amount of info so I recommend taking it in chunks one bite at a time.
Good Luck!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:12 am 

Healthy eating is important for living healthy. We should add good natural food in our diet. I always prefer vegetables and fruits because i think these are healthy food and good for us.