Natural Freedom

Forum for the natural awakening and self-realization of men
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:07 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Teachability and Success
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 6:49 pm 

Ever since I've heard that your amount of success is influenced by how teachable you are I was interested in this concept.

I found a very good resource about this - I wondered a lot, if being ultimately naive and maximaly open to new knowledge was not actually hurtful - and the site below shows, that the perfect point for the best learning is in between the "teacher" and "student" point (see the extremes, "Arrogant" and "naive").

http://theemergencesite.com/Tech/FourSt ... 061009.htm

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 12:29 pm 

This is the ~ozar midrashim~ of teachability :D
(loose meaning, from Legacy of Kain series)

I'm particularly interested in these bodies of knowledge.
Must be c/b I've worked as a co-teacher for autistic
and disabled children, and as a band leader/freelance musician.
Chicken-egg-egg-chicken...turducken.

Teachability Index
(T.Lopez, K.Trudeau)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:59 pm 
learning is a function of what you want to know and who you want to know it from.

If you have a parental unit who tells you learn from everyone then you'll learn nothing. If you have a parental unit who tells you learn from no one then you'll learn nothing. If you give a kid a map telling them that they can learn these things to do x things they like as a child you better believe they'll learn them.

Video games are a great example. Arrogant, naive, and balanced people learn video games at roughly the same pace unless someone tells them to specifically look for a strategy, seek out "x" knowledge, and learn from "y" people. The human brain thrives off of games and decisions with well defined rules. Life isn't well defined though so we have to give children rules for them to understand to succeed.

There is something to be said about feeling safe about learning though. People shut down mentally when they feel they've been cheapened. :geek:

Those old wounds are easy to open.

Just to confirm this:

How fast do autistic children learn video games Jared? I'm willing to bet that even if they have retardation from autism or another crippling autism spectrum disorder that they still learn video games well.

edit: I also know that I've read somewhere in a medical article that autistic children have more favorable outcomes when they have been treated like normal children, which includes the not so productive things like children ostracizing them.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:53 pm 

Slim Titan wrote:
learning is a function of what you want to know and who you want to know it from.

If you have a parental unit who tells you learn from everyone then you'll learn nothing. If you have a parental unit who tells you learn from no one then you'll learn nothing. If you give a kid a map telling them that they can learn these things to do x things they like as a child you better believe they'll learn them.

Video games are a great example. Arrogant, naive, and balanced people learn video games at roughly the same pace unless someone tells them to specifically look for a strategy, seek out "x" knowledge, and learn from "y" people. The human brain thrives off of games and decisions with well defined rules. Life isn't well defined though so we have to give children rules for them to understand to succeed.

There is something to be said about feeling safe about learning though. People shut down mentally when they feel they've been cheapened. :geek:

Those old wounds are easy to open.

Just to confirm this:

How fast do autistic children learn video games Jared? I'm willing to bet that even if they have retardation from autism or another crippling autism spectrum disorder that they still learn video games well.

edit: I also know that I've read somewhere in a medical article that autistic children have more favorable outcomes when they have been treated like normal children, which includes the not so productive things like children ostracizing them.
I know you asked Jared, but I saw a video from Playstation in my country about a autistic young man actually learning to differenciate human facial expressions (and also drawing them and making them) thanks to Little Big Planet game.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:16 pm 

Slim Titan wrote:

Just to confirm this:

Yes.

Depends what the kid wants to take in.

Some kids want to keep hitting the reset button on PlayStation 1 just to
hear the G - C eye catcher tune (w/phaser-like effect) to play over and over
and over and over again :roll:
So disappointed if ps2

If it has got moving parts that resembles a toilet seat (ps1 disc cover)
it's going to be an ex ps1 :evil: Opposable thumbs and movable parts don't always mix!
Hyperextension . :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:50 am 
fufe wrote:

I know you asked Jared, but I saw a video from Playstation in my country about a autistic young man actually learning to differenciate human facial expressions (and also drawing them and making them) thanks to Little Big Planet game.
never heard of it. You can encourage anything though.

If you didn't have value the universe wouldn't have made you or kept you
Jared wrote:

Yes.

Depends what the kid wants to take in.

Some kids want to keep hitting the reset button on PlayStation 1 just to
hear the G - C eye catcher tune (w/phaser-like effect) to play over and over
and over and over again :roll:
So disappointed if ps2

Sounds like my brother before I taught him how to use video games. Autism not included. :lol: