Natural Freedom

Forum for the natural awakening and self-realization of men
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:16 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Sensory deprivation tank
PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 10:07 pm 

I've been reading a bit about sensory deprivation tanks and it got me thinking about letting go and getting in touch with your sub conscious. I'm curious to know if anyone on here has had any experience with using one and if so what was the experience like?

For those of you who are unaware of what a sensory deprivation tank is: it's an enclosed tank with an epsom salt water, which means you float. The tank itself is sealed so that there is not light or sound and along with the water it is supposed to remove most of you sense so that you essentially only experience your thoughts.

Here are a couple of interesting youtube videos about some experiences with them:

Joe Rogan: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KeqmKwsvM58

Good Mythical Morning: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mMVipm_IQ0

Vice: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCYglCDgpu0

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 12:54 am 

I think it's kinda hooey...but then again I think a lot of things are hooey 8-)

Pimposophy Revisited is now finally available on Amazon in all territories!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 1:52 am 

The US government has spent a considerable amount of time and money on them :geek:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:39 pm 

@Kidd I could be wrong, didn't you mention going into a dark room and sitting with your thoughts as a way to befriend your demons? I imagine that the tank may be a good way to start and gain a bit of a start. I can't really pass judgment either way as I've not experienced it.

@Altair What are the reasons behind this?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 2:18 am 

Quote:
@Kidd I could be wrong, didn't you mention going into a dark room and sitting with your thoughts as a way to befriend your demons? I imagine that the tank may be a good way to start and gain a bit of a start. I can't really pass judgment either way as I've not experienced it.
Yes that's correct. However, spending exorbitant amounts of money to float in a specialized salt water tank that's dark and sealed to 'start' with is the hooiest thing I have ever read. :|

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 6:00 am 

It was the CIA. A Google search will turn up many results.

I feel it would be interesting Kidd!!. Most things are hooey, however there is probably some merit to it.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 1:54 pm 

TO START WIT THO? :?

HOW ABOUT STARTING WITH THE DARK QUIET ROOM FIRST? :|

Today's keyword is 'START' 8-)

And sure there's some merit to it...if you are freaking Daredevil and can't stop hearing children being raped 5 blocks away. :roll:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 4:12 pm 

I will make one small concession tho and downgrade my opinion from 'hooey' to 'overkill' and/or 'entirely unnecessary for most situations'. :geek:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 12:47 am 
Site Admin

The Kidd!! wrote:
I will make one small concession tho and downgrade my opinion from 'hooey' to 'overkill' and/or 'entirely unnecessary for most situations'. :geek:
:lol:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 1:50 am 

It's a bit like expecting you'll get a much deeper workout on an elaborate $10,000 exercise machine... if your heart and body are out of shape and don't train regularly you'll still only last a minute. If you're already on top of things and fit, it could be an awesome experience to do some more refined specific exercises.

Confronting yourself and all of the good inner work is a matter of choice, and you can do it on a loud-ass subway car if you choose to.

If you tend to get distracted and focus on other things, and haven't built up the ability to go really deep - in total sensory deprivation your mind will most likely just generate a bunch of 'interesting' stuff to maintain the same level of distraction / comfort your nervous system feels stable at. May also convince you it was this profound transforming experience except that within 3 hours later you're doing everything exactly the same as before.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 3:16 am 
Site Admin

Flow83 wrote:
It's a bit like expecting you'll get a much deeper workout on an elaborate $10,000 exercise machine... if your heart and body are out of shape and don't train regularly you'll still only last a minute. If you're already on top of things and fit, it could be an awesome experience to do some more refined specific exercises.

Confronting yourself and all of the good inner work is a matter of choice, and you can do it on a loud-ass subway car if you choose to.

If you tend to get distracted and focus on other things, and haven't built up the ability to go really deep - in total sensory deprivation your mind will most likely just generate a bunch of 'interesting' stuff to maintain the same level of distraction / comfort your nervous system feels stable at. May also convince you it was this profound transforming experience except that within 3 hours later you're doing everything exactly the same as before.
Nice! +1
Thanks for the explanation and the pitfalls of our bland, I mean STRONG ego.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 5:19 am 

Flow83 wrote:

Thanks for co-signing Flow...very nicely stated. 8-)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 10:47 am 

Quote:
We do not have a memory - we remember.

We do not have a thought - we think.

We do not have an image - we imagine.

We do not have a dream - we dream.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 5:35 pm 
I like to stay away from these topics because the more I think about myself I find that I know less and less.

I do know one of my biggest problems is that I'm just scared to plunk down and just start. Grinus can attest to this phenomenon in me. I want to make sure that I get the best start that everything is perfect.

However, in systems in science, and for our purposes...The Matrix...there are no perfect systems. There can be no perfect starts. It's best to just swallow your fears and dive right in. Then you'll learn and hopefully shed the bad while getting more of the good (I.E. things that help you and remove things that you know don't help you).
Knight wrote:

@Altair What are the reasons behind this?
When I first started, years ago this was the only technique I knew. I had just earned my red belt in verbal kungfu. I could get laid off of my mouthpiece if women liked me. However, I was still dealing with a lot of problems and wasn't at peace with myself. I'm still not.

When I sat in the dark room in my dorm and just started trying to clear my mind it was some scary shit. It wasn't the actual clearing my mind process to meet my inner demons it was the effect of process. My dreams became more vivid. That scared me. At the time, I didn't know that your dreams are like a pointer to your inner world. For two months I sat and repeated the process to no avail. The only thing that happened was that my dreams kept getting stronger. Of course I quit doing it because I wasn't seeing results since I was focused on results.

To the point, the sensory deprivation tank isn't something that will help you. It's actually a form of torture most times when the government uses it. If you actively go into that tank wanting to see results you will never get them. It would be a different story if someone told you to get into the tank to see what happens. You would have no expectations.

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 10:12 am 

I'm with flow and Kidd. It won't offer you what you seek, unless you're willing to go to that place, but you could also go to the same place pretty much anywhere.

Stick to basics - http://www.naturalfreedom.info/viewtopi ... pping+your

The tank did offer me a relaxing experience. It did not help me go deeper, because I wasn't willing to go deeper.