Natural Freedom

Forum for the natural awakening and self-realization of men
It is currently Mon May 06, 2024 6:03 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Danger of Affirmations
PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 4:53 am 
I think affirmations can be dangerous because they encourage resistance to the idea presented (and also many here say that you're affirming the problem by insisitng you're the opposite with your thoughts). But my point is this - Affirmations DO work, but depending on how you go about it they can be very dangerous and even have the opposite effect.

1. I see it getting obsessive and weird "I'm cool etc" all day.. I mean, it's just kind of weird, what's the point.
2. When you're not feeling the way the affirmations claims (i.e. you're feeling "not cool") you'll tend to beat yourself up more and resist that feeling.

Affirmations DO work, if when the resistance comes up you observe it and accept it/yourself completely. However, what I do now is try to open up the love centers in my body first, and then praise myself naturally (let good thoughts flow.. I'm sexy, I'm awesome, life is great) etc. This is much more natural and the whole thing of forcing the thoughts is gone. Just get in a positive flow. This might be hard at first, but the more i do it the more it works. Then these thoughts become natural. You don't have to do love meditation like me, but the point is do like Jake says and just praise yourself, be creative with it, have fun with it, and get involved emotionally. If you just spend all day loving yourself for reasons that are not forced but rather come up easily from the subconcious mind that makes the journey to accepting yourself quite rapid because you're not forcing shit from your concious mind into your subconscious mind, rather emphasizing the positive feelings that are already there.

Often i look in the mirror now and say damn I'm sexy, or damn no wonder women love me, etc. --but the thing is i'm not even really trying to do these affirmations. By accepting where I'm at, good and bad, then the positive can flow more naturally. Hard to explain but Kidd has said it when he says you have to accept and observe everything as it is, then emphasize what you DO have already. Where Kidd and I disagree is that other methods don't work (he says affirmations, grounding, etc. are stupid). And maybe they are "stupid" to him, they obviously do work for a lot of people, and i've seen results from them too. But the point is that's not how i want to live my life. I don't want to do anything to get women, first of all, and you're kidding yourself if grounding is for any other purpose. Sur eit makes you feel good but so do other spiritual pursuits. Affirmations make your ego much more complicated (in my experience) and can often cause a split in your mind.

My greatest progress in the realm of women have come when i was not trying. My girlfriend came here for a week, and I didn't want to become a sexy badboy with her, but I did. Shit just happened. Indifference! Affirmations and Grounding both to me signify TRYING and i think those that have had success with grounding were not trying, or eventually stopped trying. But most of us never stop trying with grounding because it's very essence is based on women. If you stop focusing your life in anyway around women and rather on doing what brings you joy (while releasing your limitations) women will go great lengths to be with you.

A lot of this stuff is very common knoweldge to you guys but i hope i said something new!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 5:15 am 
Quote:
Where Kidd and I disagree is that other methods don't work (he says affirmations, grounding, etc. are stupid). And maybe they are "stupid" to him, they obviously do work for a lot of people, and i've seen results from them too.
Hell, yeaaaahhh. You're right. You know how to use your brain.
You think like an adult.

If something doesn't work for me doesn't mean that then is not going to work for nobody.

It's like some people say that certain band sucks, and some good musician hears that band and says I don't like that band but I know that they're good musicians.
And some are really really track-minded so they'll never going to admit that. They're thinking like children or teenagers.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 5:54 am 

I used to use them quite a bit, never had much success. If they work for that's awesome though. In the Sedona Method he mentions that positive thinking (including affirmations) only work for 1% of the population. People that are naturally already positive otherwise your adding a layer of positive over the negative and the negative will always win out.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:06 pm 

Mirror affirmations are the shit. You're telling yourself affirmations in your head all day long anyway. Everybody has an internal voice. You might as well craft it in to an internal voice that supports you than ine that beats you down.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 4:14 pm 
Word - well I agree our talk should be positive. I guess i just think letting the positive flow (starting on a positive note and createing a positive chain) might be healthier/easier than forcing thoughts down your throat.

Positive Chain: (I did really well today. I'm a good person. No wonder people like me. Women want to be with me. I'm fucking awesome. I'm grateful to be me. People want to be around me because i'm cool ---- etc.) in the flow

Forcing thoughts: I am sexy, I am sexy, I am sexy (...no you're not...), I am sexy, I am sexy (..am I sexy?)

see the difference? I suppose if you keep forcing those thoughts that the little questions/resistance would go away, but if you manage to get into a positive natural flow the positivity seems to stick more and reoccur more (for me at least)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 4:42 pm 

You guys already said everything :) but I want to add a little something,

I think affirmations can work but not on their own and not without going to the core issues.

For example:
If I'm needy I can keep saying affirmation like:
I'm not needy, I'm not needy, but I will still feel needy.....

So going to check the core issues is importent:
why am I needy?
why am I approval seeking?
why do I feel like I have to have someone to make me happy
etc.....

After going to the core issue and finding out that let's say: I'm needy because I feel that I'm not man enough if I don't fuck women.

Then I'm going to check: where did this thought come from?
was it from the social matrix? was it because in high school I was a nerd? :geek:

after going to the core issue, finding the root of the problem and dealing with it- maybe after that affirmations will work, although many times after you find out the root issue you will feel affirmations are not necessary But sometimes after you find the root issue you can use affirmations to reframe your reality so I think they can work for reframing maybe, but not in order to cover the root problem.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 4:51 pm 

Or, you can DECIDE on a purpose and keep on working toward its attainment. Every thought that leads you toward it, is concidered as "constructive". Entertain only positive thoughts. That´s it.

If you don´t have a purpose, then you can get one. Get one. It´s amazingly simple.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:04 pm 

Jared wrote:
Or, you can DECIDE on a purpose and keep on working toward its attainment. Every thought that leads you toward it, is concidered as "constructive". Entertain only positive thoughts. That´s it.

If you don´t have a purpose, then you can get one. Get one. It´s amazingly simple.
Yes Jari the shaman I agree, having a higher purpose is part of the deal

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:41 pm 

Shay, one thing you never want to do with affirmations is to "Not" do anything. Dont phrase your affirmations as "I am not needy." Your subconcious doesn't undersand negatives, so it just hears I am needy. You want to phrase your affirmations right like the above rephrased would be " I am entirely indifferent to getting anyones approval." and I like to say instead "I KNOW that I am entirely indifferent to getting approval from others." Say them right, get in the moment while you are saying your affirmations. Spend about 20 minutes looking in to the right eye of your mirror image and it helps to play some music in the background that gets you in to state. You want to feel something when you are doing your affirmations or they will never work for you. The only thing that truly anchors mental change is emotions, so if you are doing your affirmations with dead energy then you will just end up getting frustrated. Before you start writing out the affirmations that you're going to be telling yourself, you need to find out what your core insecurities are or ask yourself "Where does my reality fail me?" When you get to the root of these issues then you can start deciding what affirmations you need to be telling yourself. Dont do too many at a time either. Focus on some main issues and say each of these affirmations with feeling about 10 times each or so while maintaining eye contact with your mirror image. The best times to do your mirror affirmations are in the morning when you wake up and at night before you go to sleep so your subconcious can begin working on your new reality. Stay consistent with this too. If you dont stay consistent then it will never work for you. There are other types of affirmations as well as mirror affirmations such as Gratitude affirmations, Afformations, Written affirmations and visualization affirmations. The two most important ones are obviously going to be the mirror and visualization, but the other ones can help as well.

Another thing about affirmations is that the reason you dont want them running through your head all day trying to force this new reality. If it feels like you're trying to force it, then take a step back and let it go. You are simply not in the proper brainwave in the daytime for your affirmations to do anything, but piss you off. Morning you are in Theta/Alpha brainwave upon waking and this is the perfect brainwave for autosuggestion and nighttime as well, but daytime you are in beta and beta is absolutely not good for that. If you do your affirmations right then you wont even feel the need to focus on them in the daytime because they will begin to show up in your new mindset automatically. In the daytime, you should be focusing only on things that make you feel good as best you can so that you can constantly be in a state of flow.

And that my friends is how you make affirmations work.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:13 pm 
Yeah dude, hit the nails on the head! Affirmations are not my thing but that's how you can get massive results from them!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 1:02 am 

Yes ML I agree with everything you said. two things I want to add:

1. if you combine affirmations with Afformations that could speed things up even more.
Afformations can help you find the stuff you like about yourself. For example:
I can use an afformation like: 'How come I'm such a great guy'?
then when I do it repeatedly I might come up with:
because I'm smart, funny, balanced, good looking, whatever.....

Than after I saw the things I like about myself, I can use the afformation before the affirmation. For example: 'how come I'm so great'?
after you ask the question there is a moment of clear mind\blank. now before you start thinking-say your affirmation, for example:
'how come I'm such a great catch'?
then I'll immediately say: 'because I'm funny'

I didn't give the mind time to think or disagree.....

But once again: this is not instead of checking the core issues and dealing with them.
It is afterwards......

2. When you play music say your affirmation when you feel the peak state. When you feel the peak state in the song and then say the affirmation that creates a great vibe and will make it stick even faster and better. You know what I mean?
My English is not perfect so I hope I explained myself well....

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 1:23 am 

What are you talking about, Shay? You have great english. You're totally right. When you hit an emotional high, that is when you can anchor things the best. I like listening to Pandora while I'm doing them. I listen to Andres Linetzsky radio or Enigma radio if I'm more chill and VNV nation radio if I want to get really pumped. If you cant tell I love techno music...

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 2:02 am 

TheModernLibertine wrote:
What are you talking about, Shay? You have great english. You're totally right. When you hit an emotional high, that is when you can anchor things the best. I like listening to Pandora while I'm doing them. I listen to Andres Linetzsky radio or Enigma radio if I'm more chill and VNV nation radio if I want to get really pumped. If you cant tell I love techno music...

Thanks man, yea techno can get you in the state alright ;)
The most importent thing (which you already know ;) ) is not to choose wussy songs or sad songs cause even if they get some emotional response it will not be a good one.

I don't listen to the radio anymore cause there is so many wussy songs running there these days... :|

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 5:58 am 

WARNING: DIATRIBE AND MANUAL ON HOW TO DO AFFIRMATIONS THE RIGHT WAY, THROUGHOUT YOUR DAY :ugeek:

ML nailed it about affirmations, especially I love the statement "you're doing them all day anyways." I agree 100% - your mind is a big collections of affirmations running on repeat.

I've been doing the mirror ones, they are very powerful. Along with visualizing at other times, and doing written ones. Believe me, I'm the last person to like affirmations, but I do them because THEY WORK SO FUCKING WELL. I've had teachers call them bullshit, and also said beliefs are bullshit, but now I know they are full of it. This shit works, hands down.

Affirmations = beliefs. Affirmations are not just words, you must put your feeling, energy and being into them. They ARE beliefs. Affirmation is just word that makes them seem more pliable or shapable (is that even a word??!)

So the key isn't to be doing them all day, the key is to correct your "bad affirmations" that have been playing in your mind for years. Bad beliefs taught growing up, unresourceful thoughts that don't serve you. So how do you do that, correct them?

1) Check in with how you FEEL. Very easy - do you feel GOOD or BAD? Don't try to get all fucking analytical and be like like "oh I feel guilty, anxious, sad." Just stick with bad or good. You only need to know one or the other. If you're feeling good then great, things are cool, no need to say anything to yourself. But most likely you aren't taking a look unless you're feeling bad, right? Since you are feeling like shit at this point, I guarantee 99% that your beliefs are creating your state, and you just aren't aware of them yet. So yes, as always it starts with awareness, and you must pick them apart and be highly aware of the conversation, images, feelings going on. The easiest entry point to know that something is up, is to check how you feel. Ok unless you're hung over or did too many drugs the night before...and if you did shame on you! You're a bad person. Whoops there's a negative thought slipping in there. ;)

2) Ok so know you know you feel like shit...from there you observe what you are telling yourself as the "truth" (just beliefs etched into your mind/neuropathways, whatever you want to call it.). Get interested in what you're telling yourself, be like a dorky scientist. At this point it's easy to beat on yourself for telling yourself bad things, fight the urge, let it pass like gas, whatever you have to do to get neutral and observe OR by getting energetic and saying a big fat "NO!" to those negative thoughts.

3) Now that the negative thought is paralyzed - and I say that because it's ready to jump back in at any moment - then you make the affirmation that you want to be true. The reason it helps to do mirror affirmations, written ones, etc is because you already know what the affirmation state feels like so it's easier to access. Second, It's like having a toolbox of beliefs that you use without having to think, because those negative thoughts are just waiting to jump back in. If you were going to war and had your gun, but no ammo, then you're sure to lose. Doing affirmation work outside of what I'm talking about here is your ammo for the battle against negative bullshit beliefs (aka affirmations as ML so skillfully pointed out - had to say it again). So now with ammo in hand, you can bombard yourself with all the best things you can say about yourself. Shoot yourself full of positive, awesome things so you can win the battle, and eventually the war against the negative beliefs in your mind.

Yes, your mind will fight it, because those negative grooves are worn so deep. Your mind will fight it to the point that you might say "this shit doesn't work, it's all bullshit." Well guess who just won? The bad guys, and you let 'em. Either because you weren't aware, or didn't stand up for yourself, against your negative mind. So until you start to notice the feeling shift to lightness, happiness, joy that you can actually freakin' love yourself and that you are great, you haven't won that battle.

...Eventually your overall energy will shift towards the positive and then it's all downhill from there. Until you get to that point, you're pushing the boulder up the hill, it's the hardest thing you've ever done, but once you get to the top, that boulder just rolls down the hill, and you never have to go back up again. But the work has to be put in and it won't be easy. Let me say it again...IT WON'T BE EASY.

Of course, since we're retraining those bad beliefs, this takes time, commitment and resolve. People that say they don't work don't stick with them, the same as someone wanting to be a rock star says, yeah it's only for certain people I TRIED THAT AND NOTHING HAPPENED. Well guess what, you didn't try long enough and stick to it. Plenty of stories where people perservered and got what they wanted. Same is true for retraining your mind so you think you're the bomb-diggity automatically, everywhere you go.

I mean come on, why shouldn't you think you're the shit everywhere you go. And not in the sense that you're better than others but just that you're amazing, and a freakin' bad-ass mofo. Wouldn't life be easier if you didn't have to worry, ever again, about thinking bad on yourself, and feeling shitty because of it? I think so. Well...I know so ;)

The reason The Kidd doesn't need them is that he's already got his mindset down and believes he's the shit. Maybe he didn't do it via affirmations, visualizations, etc, but at some point his mindset shifted. If you don't have the mindset then it ain't so easy. Once you believe you're the shit, don't give a rip what other people think, everything changes.

I'm not saying affirmations (not sure I even like that word) are the only way, but either way through experiences or reprogramming (or both) your beliefs will change. Affirmations is one way of doing it, but they have to be done right and you have to stick to it.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 9:02 am 

Seriously, get in the Habit of doing them, you´ll shape your Character/Destiny infinitely, even if you´re Ultimate Positive Man, you have a "Purpose In Life" that you may repeat in your mind infinitely and your mind is on that target, so you keep right on track. And as you reach those goals, set new ones, you can infinitely shape your Character/Destiny.

You become what you think anyway. Think Purposefully. Take possession of your own mind.

Thoughts + Actions = Character
Character = Destiny

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 5:53 pm 

Affirmations aren't in any way dangerous.lol. :lol: But seriously, they aren't even dangerous mentally. The only reason you are going through hard times and anger/ depression, sadness, is because you are changing your beliefs. Your subconscious mind is filled with negative thoughts,,the mind produces almost nothing but negative thoughts ALL DAY. Any one experiencing troubles, or any of the problems above, its totally normal in the beginning stages. Like the first month or 2. After that things just magically happen.and the old beliefs will die out. its a process. And your wondering like, what the hell, did this hot chick (or dude whatever your preference) just leave my house?

Another thing, the best method imo of picking up women is to do it without trying. Literally stop trying to be special. The girl I pretty much created a she really likes me experiance yesterday, I literally intentionally gave her a low quality boring "come on" but that works the best. But you need the mindset. :D see you guys later

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:49 pm 

leeman1010 wrote:
Affirmations aren't in any way dangerous.lol. :lol: But seriously, they aren't even dangerous mentally. The only reason you are going through hard times and anger/ depression, sadness, is because you are changing your beliefs.
yes, I agree they are not dangrous and I'm glad it worked for you. I guess
consistency is what makes the difference.....

I'm not a big fan of affirmations but they do work great for some people so I'm not against it

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:00 pm 

I am! :lol:

Pimposophy Revisited is now finally available on Amazon in all territories!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:02 pm 

The Kidd!! wrote:
but if they are so bad then how come some people got results from it?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:10 pm 

Sniper wrote:
The Kidd!! wrote:
but if they are so bad then how come some people got results from it?
See my painkiller analogy in the other thread. 8-)

Pimposophy Revisited is now finally available on Amazon in all territories!