Forum for the natural awakening and self-realization of men
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:35 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: EGO
PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:59 pm 

I'm opening this up to have a spot where
we can chime in on our
views of the Ego.

I had a grandeur belief that I had a small Ego.
FALSE.
My EGO was BIG.
It cloaked itself that I, the driver, didn't even know when it was
on board.

Ego is identification of thought; this is what resonates for me right now.
Separation of mind and body.

Most of the work I did was still in the realm of the Ego.
I went round and round.

Understanding Ego and realizing when it comes up has been
one of the bigger moments for me here.

A few posts that opened Ego up for me:
Flow83 wrote:
The ego LOVES to make a dramatic hero's journey out of the whole "red pill" thing. Suddenly you are this big super hero against the world, you are accepting this secret hidden truth that noone else sees and there is simultaneously hatred but a giant propping up because now you are one the 'special, different ones' - the centerpiece behind the whole drive in the first place. It loves and hates it.
How to check in? Simple, look at your life -- more importantly, your internal state. Are you walking around thinking about your 'red pillness' and how cruel the world is, or are you too busy smiling and chilling out and being at peace. Notice how part of you actually loves that whole story much more than the one where you are just happy, because that's too simple. It will tell you quite clearly if you are moving forward or stuck in some fairy tale. The ego is clever enough to do this at ANY stage of the game.
The truth is very simple and direct and will set you free. The more it is a source of pain/anger, and a source of separation, the more it is your mind and ego taking a simple realization and creating a new identity around it.

Post subject: Re: EGO
PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:20 am 

You'll hear 10 million things from different people because the word has a ton of meanings depending on what "level" you are talking about.

It can be referring to a part of your personality that wants something, all the way down to the very sense of "I." Quite literally the sense of a separate self. Who were you in dreamless sleep last night? Where were "you" and your personality? Did you stop existing? No? Then what are you?

One is totally on the spiritual side and the other more on the personal side.

FWIW I don't see much point in collecting viewpoints on it or arguing about it because two completely opposing things can be true on different levels (the atoms in your body can do shit that you can't, teleport, etc. but you are made of atoms).

What are you interested in? WHY do you want to know? From your PMs to me and this, it sounds a little bit like you are looking for some "correct" way to do this or the 'right' way to look at ego or level to deal with it on. There isn't one. It's up to you what level you want to go on and WHY you want to do it.

The route of 'enlightenment' from the spiritual traditions, is not about making you awesome. Losing the sense of self has actually destroyed people who were not prepared for it. Then there's ego like wanting to be a badass and shooting yourself in the foot. It's not exactly the same thing though they are connected. This is why sometimes people will read books from modern popular teachers like Eckhart Tolle and think the ego stuff he is talking about is the same as the personality and feel like it's bullshit/counter productive but it is not referring to the same thing.

So the definitions and discussions are pretty irrelevant without the question: What are you interested in and why? What are you looking to get out of this? That should guide you to what route you take. There isn't a 'right' one.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:27 am 

Flow83 wrote:

What are you interested in? WHY do you want to know? From your PMs to me and this, it sounds a little bit like you are looking for some "correct" way to do this or the 'right' way to look at ego or level to deal with it on. There isn't one. It's up to you what level you want to go on and WHY you want to do it..
True.

I want to know what to look for, so that I'm not trapped within it. A few things you said in the other thread [http://www.naturalfreedom.info/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3184] opened up my perception to the point where I began to feel peace and happiness again, be if it was for a short time or a long time, a light bulb went off to where I was questioning who thought it needed to suffer to be successful/happy?

I will ponder your post longer, and see what I really want.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:28 pm 

TheDude wrote:
I want to know what to look for, so that I'm not trapped within it.
Which is the new trap.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:55 pm 
Site Admin

Flow83 wrote:
TheDude wrote:
Which is the new trap.
Indeed Flow

In building a statue, a sculptor doesn't keep adding clay to his subject.He keeps chiseling away at the inessentials until the truth of its creation is revealed without obstructions. Perfection is not when there is no more to add,but no more to take away.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:36 pm 

peregrinus wrote:
Flow83 wrote:
TheDude wrote:
Which is the new trap.
Indeed Flow
^^ Again, beautiful flow (first post).

"You have to free yourself from the desire to free yourself"

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:54 pm 

Flow83 wrote:
TheDude wrote:
Which is the new trap.
:lol: Wow! This is what it means to Let it All Go?

For the little I felt of it, letting go, it's quite a beautiful process.
GoldenBoy wrote:
"You have to free yourself from the desire to free yourself"
*light bulb ON*

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:25 am 

Well, there´s ego... and the rest of the Universe is on your side...

Although, the false sense of self cannot be conformed.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:28 pm 

Ego is anything within you that takes you away from this moment.