Natural Freedom

Forum for the natural awakening and self-realization of men
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:38 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Re: Being yourself?
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:04 am 

Damn, Flow, your posts in this thread are pure gold 8-) Thanks for sharing.

3Hearingstoriesabouttheirgrandparents,madethesonsintogreatsons.Allgreatheroesadoredheroeswhotheyregardedas 13xGreater thanthemselves-theGreatBeingsoftheFuturesPast-totheirlastbreath. :geek:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 5:39 pm 

So,
Flow83 wrote:
Awesome insights.

Yes exactly, when Evan thinks about who he would be without everything that made "Evan," the nervous system reaction is "well shit, Evan would die! Resist!" This part is not always pretty or blissful (check out Ramana Maharshi or Stephen Jourdain's awakening experience). The thing is, Evan does die. YOU don't, and that's what freedom is, realizing you are not that limited concept but are way beyond that. Your identity right now is your footing on everything so you can of course expect and be kind to yourself about the fact that the idea and then experience of losing your footing is not super comfortable!
Quote:
A lot of educational material out there speaks of having positive thinking & thoughts. But, is that not just a pattern one creates for themselves? Isn't that still coming from a place of limitations and boundaries?

My thoughts on this is do we have to progress from: thought-positive thought-beyond thought-pure awareness. Is it a linear progress or can we realize the limitation of thoughts and progress to awareness and the observer?
One of the things I'm grateful for is I have a teacher who is very clear about this, and many philosophies / concepts and especially products trying to sell you in this area confuse.

There is a distinction between self-help and what we'll call spiritual inquiry.

There is nothing wrong with either, and he has always stressed to me doing both.

Self help is making Evan work better. Better thoughts, attracting better things, etc. etc. more functional in life. Perhaps you could say a better character in the matrix. Part of you lives in this world and there is no reason not to have it work better for you.

The spiritual inquiry part is that which looks at the bigger awareness of what you really are and what the whole thing is. To use this analogy again it's that which awareness way beyond your limited sense of self. What is actually able to see that there IS a matrix and that you are playing a character and that there is a transcendent peace underneath it all. I believe The Kidd made a reference on here how Cyper knew he was eating a steak in the matrix and still enjoyed the hell out of it.

You've met people who go overboard in one way or the other. If you are ALL about winning in the world and obsessed about making this perfect self that gets money and chicks then that is not exactly peaceful and you think that's ALL there is. On the other hand you've met spiritual people who have good energy and have seen glimpses of peace etc. beyond but they can't pay their fucking rent and their life is a mess functionally.

This is why there are ancient teachings like the perfect "middle way" (Buddhism) - "be in the world not of the world" etc.

BTW that teacher I like has a free online show where you hear me asking a lot of questions like this and you'll probably say hey that guys posts are just echoing this shit! Hah. His show is at conversationswithg.com - all episodes are completely free so i'm guessing it's cool to post that here.

In the end the "victory" to liberation from all that thought and identification is through surrender to it and not trying to master / stop / control every aspect of it because that is trying to be done through the ego and keeps you there. When you give that up which can feel like it's submitting or you'll lose/die you gain more perspective. What the hell, for one more matrix analogy - how does he FINALLY beat smith after endlessly fighting them after they keep multiplying and multiplying?
'Balance'.

Nice post...

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:44 am 

TheDude wrote:
I would rather have the real me come out than a false self. How can the false self be identified?
If you do something and afterwards you're mad at yourself for doing it, whatever it was, you're not being yourself.

Being yourself simply means not giving a fuck what anyone thinks of you and accepting and loving yourself completely, but you'll have to find and foster the proper beliefs to get there.

A wise man once said "I find that a duck's opinion of me is influenced by whether or not I have bread."