Natural Freedom

Forum for the natural awakening and self-realization of men
It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 10:18 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:45 pm 

Hey folks, I just recently signed up here. I have been working on making myself a better person. The person that I want to be for the last 4 months, and I have been having great success.

My journey all started back when I was in college. It was my second semester, and I was going to liberal arts college with absolutely no career choice whatsoever in mind. My parents forced me to go to college immediately after highschool, even though I suggested to them that I take a year off because I did not know what I wanted to do with college. (I also suggested that I wanted to go to Art School, but they view that as a "waste of money"). They just thought I was being lazy and wanted to stick around with my friends or do something with the easy way out.

Well, a few months ago... I had been fed up. I just snapped. I was doing great in school (dean's list) through almost no effort. I did not even purchase the textbooks for my classes, just took notes. I also did not study more than half an hour EVER. But... I just did not want to do it. I sort of fell through a rabbit hole here. I realized that I did not HAVE to do this (Sort of a fight club moment hah). I realized my parents could not control me like one controls a robot or a computer. I just said "Fuck it" and dropped out.

I moved back home and found a full time job right away. I told my parents that I am my own man, they cannot stomp on my dreams and crush them no matter how hard they try, and that I WILL pursue an art career whether they like it or not. My father threatened to punch me in the face and also calls me a loser day in day out and says "I don't care if you want to go to art school you're getting a degree at a normal college!", my mother does not say anything, but she also does not encourage me to follow my dreams. Both of them definitely have their own issues at hand. My parents are both alcoholics and were pretty bad drug addicts at one point. My father was abusive to my mother and I.. and he has been in and out of jail since I can remember.

My life as a child has always been me getting bullied and walked all over, but I started reading about the concepts of inner game along with some PUA material to increase my chances with women. For the first time in my life I had a backbone, I was a leader in my social circle and people were respecting me.

I really feel as though the path is still long and strenuous though. I need to move on from my parents if I wish to progress toward achieving my inner self and truly excelling toward my dreams. I cannot bear to be around such ignorant people devoid of conceptualizing the beauty life gives and to take it by the horns.

Just wondering if anyone else has been in this situation and cares to share their story?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:09 pm 
Site Admin

Hi AlexB, welcome to the forum.

Thank you for sharing parts of your story, it sounds like you have had quite a journey so far.

I feel you have had some important realisations.

I encourage people to stay civil with their families in most cases, however with everyone (friends and family) there comes a point where you have to make a choice between them or you if they are doing enough harm to you. You can maintain a relationship, it is up to you how much and how much you let them into your mind.

At some point we all have to start living our lives for US not THEM.

I have not seen one set of aunt/uncles since I was about 14... I got a lot of shit from other members of my family about it over the years, however it was my decision, not theirs. Going through that is tough but as you say, it will strengthen your backbone.

I am sure that someone on this site has a similar story to some degree.

All of what you are describing I feel is part of the journey from a boy to a man.

Well done on having the balls and determination to follow your own path.

In building a statue, a sculptor doesn't keep adding clay to his subject.He keeps chiseling away at the inessentials until the truth of its creation is revealed without obstructions. Perfection is not when there is no more to add,but no more to take away.