Natural Freedom

Forum for the natural awakening and self-realization of men
It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 5:45 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:14 pm 

TheDude wrote:
moose35 wrote:
Very true, what both Star and Sniper just said. Finding out that everybody cares only and only about themselves still hasn't sunk in 100% and being happy and myself while knowing this is difficult at times, but it's getting better.
Isn't a bit of over-generalization to say that "everyone cares only about themselves"? I do believe we all have a greater interest in our own lives, but I also believe that there are people who care for others as much as they care for themselves. It would be a a bit delusional to say that everyone cares entirely about themselves.
I would really, really like that to be true Dude. It's just not though. Star's signature is pretty poignant in describing the way it is.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:30 pm 

Seems very true in most people I encounter, and I find it hard to not get value from doing good. Do I think you can be selfless? Yes. Most good deeds you get a reward. Motivation is key although. Do you do good to feel good? For recognition? Do you feel like injustices around the world need fixing and so help a cause to end them?

Have you ever done something, perhaps what seems like a reaction, and the person thanks you and you feel good? Like they dropped something, everybody else walks past them, and you stop to help. You think nothing of the action then they voice their gratitude towards you? Did you do the action to feel good? No. For most good deeds you will get a reward. Unless you seek out somebody who hates you and help them. Then maybe you won't get a reward lol.

My friend told me of a great Christian man whose name I can't remember. He resolved to praise God and love God even if he went to hell. He thought he was unforgivable. He wanted to enjoy God on earth, but still love God even if he went to hell. My friend urged me to come to a place where you just worship God for God. Ignore all he can do for you. He told me how to have deep worship, to praise God for things you get no benefit from.

I think being selfless is possible. If I do a good deed I will get rewarded here or the next life. Motivation is key. I strain to think of a time I didn't get a reward, possibly one time comes to mind. Just because you get a reward doesn't mean that's why you did the action however. I helped out a friend, or at least wanted to, then his parents paid me at a rate of $80 an hour, I did indeed get my reward.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:40 pm 

foofatron wrote:
Seems very true in most people I encounter, and I find it hard to not get value from doing good. Do I think you can be selfless? Yes. Most good deeds you get a reward. Motivation is key although. Do you do good to feel good? For recognition? Do you feel like injustices around the world need fixing and so help a cause to end them?

Have you ever done something, perhaps what seems like a reaction, and the person thanks you and you feel good? Like they dropped something, everybody else walks past them, and you stop to help. You think nothing of the action then they voice their gratitude towards you? Did you do the action to feel good? No. For most good deeds you will get a reward. Unless you seek out somebody who hates you and help them. Then maybe you won't get a reward lol.

My friend told me of a great Christian man whose name I can't remember. He resolved to praise God and love God even if he went to hell. He thought he was unforgivable. He wanted to enjoy God on earth, but still love God even if he went to hell. My friend urged me to come to a place where you just worship God for God. Ignore all he can do for you. He told me how to have deep worship, to praise God for things you get no benefit from.

I think being selfless is possible. If I do a good deed I will get rewarded here or the next life. Motivation is key. I strain to think of a time I didn't get a reward, possibly one time comes to mind. Just because you get a reward doesn't mean that's why you did the action however. I helped out a friend, or at least wanted to, then his parents paid me at a rate of $80 an hour, I did indeed get my reward.
Money isn't the only motivation people have. Helping somebody pick something up still makes you feel like you did a good deed, or you'd feel like a dick if you didn't (if that's your nature). And if there was something more important you had going on, maybe a meeting or interview you had to hurry up for, you sure as hell wouldn't pick the said thing up.

Same thing with the friend. You wanted to help out the friend because not doing so would jeopardize your friendship, or because it made you feel good. Or any number of reasons. But doing so means you had nothing you regarded as more important for you going on. People look out for themselves, first and foremost, before doing anything for other people, and even then, they see some sort of reward in doing it. Would you go help your friend if you had 10 playmates coming over for a sleepover?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:02 pm 

moose35 wrote:
Money isn't the only motivation people have. Helping somebody pick something up still makes you feel like you did a good deed, or you'd feel like a dick if you didn't (if that's your nature). And if there was something more important you had going on, maybe a meeting or interview you had to hurry up for, you sure as hell wouldn't pick the said thing up.
I mean like you react without thinking really. You don't really think you'd feel bad unless you had more time.
moose35 wrote:
Same thing with the friend. You wanted to help out the friend because not doing so would jeopardize your friendship, or because it made you feel good. Or any number of reasons. But doing so means you had nothing you regarded as more important for you going on. People look out for themselves, first and foremost, before doing anything for other people, and even then, they see some sort of reward in doing it. Would you go help your friend if you had 10 playmates coming over for a sleepover?
Good point here. The friendship had some influence, however it was more so because he was injured and couldn't do the work that I wanted to help.

Would I help a friend in that situation? Depends on the situation. Probably not because I'd honestly feel rude and obligated to stay with my friends. If however my friends were down for going with me or if me helping wouldn't take a long time then I may. Without my friends coming along I'd feel oddly rude. Friends getting mad at me for helping another out? That would be interesting to do. If the friend's needs were urgent/serous then I would leave however.

I think it was Nero who nailed Christians to a burning cross that seems like they weren't looking out for themselves. However they valued being faithful to God over their deaths.

Reminds me of economics class people weigh the cost and benefit's and make decisions like a scale. However like the Christian I mentioned in the last post serving God, who you think will probably send you to a place of eternal torment seems to be unselfish to me. If you've ever read the book of Job his attitude at the end seems pretty unselfish to me too.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 3:37 am 

foofatron wrote:
moose35 wrote:
I mean like you react without thinking really. You don't really think you'd feel bad unless you had more time.
moose35 wrote:
Good point here. The friendship had some influence, however it was more so because he was injured and couldn't do the work that I wanted to help.

Would I help a friend in that situation? Depends on the situation. Probably not because I'd honestly feel rude and obligated to stay with my friends. If however my friends were down for going with me or if me helping wouldn't take a long time then I may. Without my friends coming along I'd feel oddly rude. Friends getting mad at me for helping another out? That would be interesting to do. If the friend's needs were urgent/serous then I would leave however.

I think it was Nero who nailed Christians to a burning cross that seems like they weren't looking out for themselves. However they valued being faithful to God over their deaths.

Reminds me of economics class people weigh the cost and benefit's and make decisions like a scale. However like the Christian I mentioned in the last post serving God, who you think will probably send you to a place of eternal torment seems to be unselfish to me. If you've ever read the book of Job his attitude at the end seems pretty unselfish to me too.
foofatron-
Quote:
there is no such thing. it takes you less than a second (or one second tops) to make the calculations in your head: would I feel good or bad in doing this or not doing this...
you never act without thinking aside from situations that are life or death- if you see you are going to get hit by a car- your reflex will take over.

but other than when your life is at threat you are Always thinking before you do something. You are just not aware of it most of the time.

foofatron-
Quote:
That would be interesting to do. If the friend's needs were urgent/serous then I would leave however.
again it's because you get a good feeling out of it Or know that this friend would maybe help you out some day in the future Or you know you would feel like shit if you didn't Or: it could be all three.
it's still self interest....

foofatron-
Quote:
so they were still doing it to get some good feeling out of it- my faith is so strong, I'm dying for what I believe in, I am a better man...
Quote:
Reminds me of economics class people weigh the cost and benefit's and make decisions like a scale. However like the Christian I mentioned in the last post serving God, who you think will probably send you to a place of eternal torment seems to be unselfish to me.
he thought he was going to be rewarded in the next world \ after life. strong Christians believe that this world is an illusion anyway and only in heaven you will have a good life. So to me it still looks like a selfish act- what will I gain from it?

But I could be wrong of course...

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:06 pm 

Sniper wrote:
foofatron-
Quote:
so they were still doing it to get some good feeling out of it- my faith is so strong, I'm dying for what I believe in, I am a better man...
Err... I doubt very much they endured an excruciating death to feel better than say Nero. What I meant in the last post was denying Jesus would've meant eternal death.
Sniper wrote:
Quote:
Reminds me of economics class people weigh the cost and benefit's and make decisions like a scale. However like the Christian I mentioned in the last post serving God, who you think will probably send you to a place of eternal torment seems to be unselfish to me.
he thought he was going to be rewarded in the next world \ after life. strong Christians believe that this world is an illusion anyway and only in heaven you will have a good life. So to me it still looks like a selfish act- what will I gain from it?

But I could be wrong of course...
He was pretty sure he was going to hell. I can't remember if he thought he was unforgivable or just was really unsure, but he thought he was probably going to hell. Which would mean no rewards. He probably felt pretty bad for a lot of his life; I wonder if he ever felt good doing good.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:59 pm 

Does the motivation behind an action really matter though.

If someone is in need and you help them. Does it matter if it was completely selfless or bc you wanted to feel good.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:10 pm 

Morpheus wrote:
Does the motivation behind an action really matter though.

If someone is in need and you help them. Does it matter if it was completely selfless or bc you wanted to feel good.
It does matter to make the point of principle in this debate. :geek:

Pimposophy Revisited is now finally available on Amazon in all territories!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:32 pm 

Foofatron, even the guy who knew he was going to hell and "selflessly" living his life was doing it for himself. The feeling of doing the right thing mattered more to him than going to heaven or enjoying life on earth. Thus, he was doing what he felt best doing. All the pain/suffering was just surface level. Deep down, he was happy and felt fulfilled.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:09 am 

Oh boy :!: :!:

I see this going for a couple guys in here the way this thread went for me :D (starting at the bottom of page 2)

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=1032&start=20

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 3:25 am 

Quote:
Oh boy

I see this going for a couple guys in here the way this thread went for me (starting at the bottom of page 2)

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=1032&start=20

off topic,

in the thread StephenP pointed out here ^^ I see Star_Above wrote:
Quote:
This has been one of my biggest realizations lately to get over the fact if a certain girl doesn't like me.
these days Star doesn't give one fuck anymore if a certain girl doesn't like him :lol:

While it's not my reality yet I'm still on Star's club and learning from him along with Kidd, Grinus and everyone else. I'm waiting for the day that I would not give a single fuck if a girl that I like doesn't like Me. In the meantime:

[ img ]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:04 am 

Sniper wrote:
I'm waiting for the day that I would not give a single fuck if a girl that I like doesn't like Me.
When it really hits you that ALL guys, no matter how high value have girls that aren't into them (Remember Cameron talking about how Matt Damon had a fucking shooter girl turn him down in Vegas)...then you won't take it personally and you won't give a fuck.

That and the fact that it's their loss if they don't want you because you have FAR more to offer them than they have to offer you...and they're goddamn morons so who cares anyway lol

A wise man once said "I find that a duck's opinion of me is influenced by whether or not I have bread."

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:29 am 

Star_Above wrote:
Sniper wrote:
I'm waiting for the day that I would not give a single fuck if a girl that I like doesn't like Me.
When it really hits you that ALL guys, no matter how high value have girls that aren't into them (Remember Cameron talking about how Matt Damon had a fucking shooter girl turn him down in Vegas)...then you won't take it personally and you won't give a fuck.

That and the fact that it's their loss if they don't want you because you have FAR more to offer them than they have to offer you...and they're goddamn morons so who cares anyway lol
Tell 'em, ShitCondor! :twisted:

Pimposophy Revisited is now finally available on Amazon in all territories!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:49 am 

Quote:
Tell 'em, ShitCondor! :twisted:
Fuck, I really need to step my game up on the shit animals :|

A wise man once said "I find that a duck's opinion of me is influenced by whether or not I have bread."

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 6:12 pm 
Site Admin

Star_Above wrote:

BRAVO!

and again - BRAVO!

In building a statue, a sculptor doesn't keep adding clay to his subject.He keeps chiseling away at the inessentials until the truth of its creation is revealed without obstructions. Perfection is not when there is no more to add,but no more to take away.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 5:58 pm 

Quote:
would you go help your friend if you had 10 playmates coming over for a sleep over?

Waaaaaait, am I the only one who read playmates for playmates?

[ img ]

[ img ]

:twisted:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:57 pm 

peregrinus wrote:
Star_Above wrote:

BRAVO!

and again - BRAVO!
My sis dislikes Pitt and Cruise but would go
for Kevin Bacon. 8-) (Tremors... )

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 2:09 am 

Tremors was funny as shit!