Forum for the natural awakening and self-realization of men
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:31 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 4:05 pm 
Site Admin

Pub 6/9/2018

The Loner: Why Some People Play MMOs Alone
Quote:
In this classic GDC 2011 talk, BioWare Austin's Damion Schubert discusses the rationale for solo playstyles in MMORPGs, the need to cater to this playstyle from a business point of view, and the design intricacies of providing solo play without invalidating the 'massive' parts of your game design.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2l2ZxNhCSg

Not about games

In building a statue, a sculptor doesn't keep adding clay to his subject.He keeps chiseling away at the inessentials until the truth of its creation is revealed without obstructions. Perfection is not when there is no more to add,but no more to take away.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 4:26 pm 
Site Admin

My comment wouln't be that related because I've never played MMOs and haven't watched the video, BUT, I'm so enthralled with games like the SNES Super Metroid, and Castlevania SOTN, that tells me something about playing in games solo, exploring, re-exploring places with new gain abilities and working through some mazes.

I actually replay them, once every three years like some sort of ritual.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:07 pm 
Site Admin

Dali: watch the video

In building a statue, a sculptor doesn't keep adding clay to his subject.He keeps chiseling away at the inessentials until the truth of its creation is revealed without obstructions. Perfection is not when there is no more to add,but no more to take away.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 12:23 am 

The lurker part of that video was interesting to me like how people can get value simply from observing.

I haven't finished the video yet, but I think that's something that people really misunderstand in social interactions. I also thought it was interesting that the slide in the beginning video said it was about the "INTJ loner" type.

I mostly like observing social situations. I might insert a funny remark here and there but I'm pretty happy just either sitting there in silence unless I have something to add to the conversation. I've always been on my own for the most part and it has little effect on how attracted a girl will become to you but it does have an effect on the establishment of social cliques.

I find it curious how most people seem to think belonging to a clique or trying to climb that hierarchy get them more girls.

I've kinda found myself in a "monk mode" phase as of late while I focus on school and learning online business (which is going decently well). I think I have a need for less social interaction than most people but still need to balance it so that I don't become too isolated over the long term. Perhaps that's why I tend to contribute more value in tangible situations and mostly just consume social interaction without giving as much back.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:16 am 

Quote:
Loner 1: 'The new kid in town'

A true tabula rasa - no connections, no friends, no clue.
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=193&p=1232#p1232

Quote:
A staggering 90% of the readers of most mailing lists and message boards never post.
These 'lurkers' still find value in just watching - because other people are interesting
We touched upon this in 'The 1% Rule' and
peregrinus wrote:
Go to somewhere with LOTS OF PEOPLE - park, mall, anywhere... Sit down with a coffee or something, maybee a music player and earphones and SIT... Watch, observe... DO NOT WANT, DO NOT SEEK, JUST OBSERVE.

Look for the non verbals, try to read people without wanting anything from them, not seeking any reaction, not seeking any signs, detached.. At peace in your mind and happy just being there seeing these people going about their lives.
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=333&p=2490#p2490

Regarding introverts
Quote:
Extraversion/introversion scales emphasize the respondent's desire and ability to socialize with strangers. However, it is not entirely clear how introverts and extraverts behave in situations perceived as offering a possibility for real intimacy.
On one hand, extraverts would be expected to be most comfortable and effective in any situation with a new other.
On the other hand, the potential for one-on-one intimacy is consistent with the kinds of relations that are particularly desirable for introverts.

The overall tendency for introverted individuals to report somewhat lower closeness (and the quite clear tendency for them to do so when no special instructions about closeness as a task are given) is consistent with the general understanding of introversion as a discomfort with social interactions with strangers. Because the method for getting close is presumably provided by the task, these data shed doubt on the view that introverts are less social because they are less skilled at getting close.
Indeed, when getting close is made an explicit task, introverts became as close as extraverts. This may be because to the extent introverts do engage in social interaction, this task was precisely the kind of self-disclosure that is typical of their conversations.
Thus, when the goal of closeness was made salient, introverts may have perceived themselves as especially effective at these tasks (or perhaps as a result they were less aroused than they would have been without the instructions).
https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/b45c/0 ... d24599.pdf
peregrinus wrote: *
For reference, personally I deal less with extroverted women.
introverted women, once woken up, can be far more demonstrative and active. They just need permission to be that way.
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=3079&p=29909#p29909

Quote:
It is important to remember there's a clear difference between being alone and being lonely.

Even the science is different. Being lonely, science shows, can lead to depression and even physical maladies like high blood pressure.
But being alone can result in contemplation, refreshment and independence, and mostly mentally grounded people value alone time.
You can exist alone and not feel lonely. As Kidd says, be your best friend.
If you are connected well enough to yourself, the need for others retreats.

In the end in my view it boils down to one thing, looking for others to fill that hole in you. If there is no hole you have no need for others to fill it, you have filled it yourself.
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=839&p=7300p7300#p7300
The Kidd!! wrote:
If you are your own best friend, you may be alone, but you'll never be lonely. 8-)
Indeed

This is the kicker.

This is the golden egg.....

Shame that so few come to realise it in their lifetimes.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3236&p=31692#p31692