Natural Freedom

Forum for the natural awakening and self-realization of men
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:28 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:34 pm 

Quote:
4 ( first live performance at age 8 )
I really wish I started playing when I was younger!
Jared wrote:
(!) In today's film music, there aren't any stringed instruments that can produce
the exact same effect used in film scoring. They mix in synths and keyboards.
Especially doubling ( tripling, x4, x5 ...) the cello w/ synths is common.
Peregrinus wrote:
One reason amongst many that people seek out sometimes older and always music that does not suffer from this, it is something that is being removed from our musical landscape in my view.
One of many reasons I listen to classical and instrumental music frequently.
Yes, for me nothing beats the sound of real instruments played by real people! Of course the recent development in musical instruments, sound synthesis, and sampling techniques adds really interesting possibilities to music. And I am not against it or anything, because in the end the collaboration between man and machine will bring new possibilities. But nowadays I find myself getting tired of drumcomputers and "fake" sounds (samples or synths). Computers don't have feeling... Even if we could make them feel some sort of emotions (which they probably will in some way in the future), some elements will still be missing: for example the joy of playing, spontaneity and originality. :)

I have been listing to all kinds of rock music all my life. I find myself listening to classical music more and more nowadays :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:12 pm 

Gonzo wrote: *

I have been listing to all kinds of rock music all my life. I find myself listening to classical music more and more nowadays :mrgreen:
We must start thinking about what kind of musical legacy we want
to leave behind to Keith Richards :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:43 pm 
Quote:
Characterizing women as sellers and men as buyers in a sexual marketplace offers a basis for several other key aspects of sexual economics theory.
Quote:
Female apes do not usually band together to fight other females, except that occasionally two adult females will work together to steal and kill another one’s baby.
Thus, to women, other women are primarily rivals, and the formation of female alliances and coalitions is much rarer than among men (see below). Adding a highly competitive (i.e., sexually attractive woman) to the social group is a straight loss for the women in the group, insofar as men will choose her above them, and the more the men spend on her, the less they have left to spend on the others.
Quote:
Indeed, the seemingly malicious gossip was often couched in terms implying concern for the confederate’s welfare
Title
Competing for love: Applying sexual economics theory to mating contests

Link
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/a ... 701630277X

Authors
Roy F.Baumeister, TaniaReynolds, BoWinegard, Kathleen D.Vohs

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:27 pm 

About girls and their instruments, I asked ~10 students and
3 female teachers about their choice of instruments.

Women teachers could not describe their choices, (piano,guitar)
and said they've played the piano from childhood.

When asked "Why not drums?" they didn't know,
and when I brought up if it is a manly instrument, they
said they've never even thought about it that way.

One of them did say >drums are so loud, and would take up a lot of space>
(vs upright piano)

I could have asked more leading questions, decided not to.

So now that's out there.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:55 am 

Jared wrote:
Women teachers could not describe their choices
Jared wrote:
When asked "Why not drums?" they didn't know
These are probably not conscious choices.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:11 pm 

Top orchestras by gender and instrument: None have a female trombonist.

https://qz.com/work/1393078/orchestras/ ... reddit.com

https://www.reddit.com/r/dataisbeautifu ... none_have/

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:28 pm 

I really liked reading through this thread, as well as the links to the videos/music. Brigitte Engerer...really nice listen!

On the subject about why women are less in the mix, I thought about one leading possibility is men have been able to play longer, at least I think they have from remembering the general theme of history (women deprived of rights). Socially men have been allowed to play music more openly than women have (for centuries), so this influences why there are more men than women. Women are playing "catch-up".

If I think of this as a race, men had a 1000m head start and are in front with the lead (bigger majority male musicians), women are closing the gap.

-

Why women/men choose the instrument they do...

Thought about the energies of masculinity and femininity play a big part in it, more so than social conditioning, maybe. Space and creating space.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:10 pm 
Site Admin

TheDude wrote: *
On the subject about why women are less in the mix, I thought about one leading possibility is men have been able to play longer, at least I think they have from remembering the general theme of history (women deprived of rights). Socially men have been allowed to play music more openly than women have (for centuries), so this influences why there are more men than women. Women are playing "catch-up".
The first hit on a search :

http://www.oxfordmusiconline.com/page/w ... c-timeline

second hit:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Women_in_music

In building a statue, a sculptor doesn't keep adding clay to his subject.He keeps chiseling away at the inessentials until the truth of its creation is revealed without obstructions. Perfection is not when there is no more to add,but no more to take away.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:24 pm 

The important question is what did you type in the search! ;)
wiki link wrote:
A 2015 article on concerto soloists in major Canadian orchestras, however, indicated that 84% of the soloists with the Orchestre Symphonique de Montreal were men. In 2012, women still made up just 6% of the top-ranked Vienna Philharmonic orchestra. Women are less common as instrumental players in popular music genres such as rock and heavy metal, although there have been a number of notable female instrumentalists and all-female bands.
My idea on it the gap existing because of time doesn't hold as well now. It's deeper than time.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:16 pm 
Site Admin

TheDude wrote: *
The important question is what did you type in the search! ;)
women music history

In building a statue, a sculptor doesn't keep adding clay to his subject.He keeps chiseling away at the inessentials until the truth of its creation is revealed without obstructions. Perfection is not when there is no more to add,but no more to take away.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:54 pm 

Our school does have a girl drummer this season 8-) So that's rare.

(touching the subject a little, but )
Practicing in all 30 keys.
This chart is very logical.

30 keys

15 major keys

C (0♯ ) + Cb (7♭) = 7
G (1♯ ) + Gb (6♭ ) = 7
D (2♯ ) + Db (5♭ ) = 7
A (3♯ ) + Ab (4♭ ) = 7
E (4♯ ) + Eb (3♭ ) = 7
B (5♯ ) + Bb (2♭ ) = 7
F# (6♯ ) + F (1♭ ) = 7
C# (7♯ ) + C (0♭ ) = 7

15 minor keys

Am (0♯ ) + Abm (7♭ ) = 7
Em (1♯ ) + Ebm (6♭ ) = 7
Bm (2♯ ) + Bbm (5♭ ) = 7
F♯m (3♯ ) + Fm (4♭ ) = 7
C♯m (4♯ ) + Cm (3♭ ) = 7
G♯m (5♯ ) + Gm (2♭ ) = 7
D♯m (6♯ ) + Dm (1♭ ) = 7
A♯m (7♯ ) + Am (0♭ ) = 7

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:00 am 

Quote:
Sex Differences as a Sign of Social Health

A recurring theme of discussions of occupational gender disparities is the often-unspoken assumption that sex differences are inherently problematic, or that they constitute direct evidence of sexism and the curbing of women’s opportunities. Some research, however, points to the opposite conclusion. A growing body of evidence suggests that, in nations with greater wealth and higher levels of gender equality, sex differences are often larger than they are in less wealthy, less equal nations. This is true for a wide range of variables, including attachment styles, the Big Five personality traits, choice of academic speciality and occupation, crying, depression, enjoyment of casual sex, intimate partner violence, mathematical ability, mental rotation, self-esteem, subjective wellbeing, and values. Importantly, it is also true of objectively measurable traits such as height, BMI, and blood pressure, which gives us some reason to think that the pattern is not simply a product of cross-cultural differences in the ways that people answer questionnaires or take tests.

What, then, is the cause of the pattern? One possibility is that when people are free to develop relatively unrestrainedly, nascent differences between individuals – and average differences between the sexes – have more opportunity to emerge and grow. In the case of psychological traits, the suggestion would be that men and women in wealthier, more developed nations have greater freedom to pursue what interests them and to nurture their own individuality. This freedom may, in turn, result in larger psychological sex differences.

Regardless of the explanation, though, if certain sex differences are larger in societies with better social indicators, then rather than being products of a sexist or oppressive society, these differences may be indicators of the opposite: a comparatively free and fair one. If so, this casts society’s efforts to eradicate the sex differences in an entirely new light. Rather than furthering gender equality, such efforts may involve attacking a positive symptom of gender equality. By mistaking the fruits of our freedom for evidence of oppression, we may institute policies that, at best, burn up time and resources in a futile effort to cure a misdiagnosed disease, and at worst actively limit people’s freedom to pursue their own interests and ambitions on a fair and level playing field.
https://psyarxiv.com/ms524

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:00 pm 

Aimee Nolte - Why Aren’t There More Women In Jazz?

12min23sec

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2N9zzecj2k

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:50 am 

Quote:
For years, feminism has fought a passive war of attrition on masculinity, starving it of honor. With its 2018 guidelines, the inherently feminist APA has gone on the offensive. This assault is not as simple as misandrist pay-back by feminism for a history’s-load of oppression. It has its roots in the feminist need to be man-identical. When your idea of gender equality is a 50/50 breakdown of men and women in any given situation—that is, when you think that 100 percent of women should do what 100 percent of men do—masculinity poses a threat. Making men less like men (and more like women) becomes a backdoor route to making women more like men. Such gender denial is the new Aryanism; unscientific, unprofessional, immoral. Insisting that each gender is “wrong” and must be more like the other to be “right” cripples both, and shrivels the human footprint to only what the genders have in common.
https://quillette.com/2019/02/04/psycho ... -and-boys/