Natural Freedom

Forum for the natural awakening and self-realization of men
It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:01 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 2:53 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2016 9:42 pm
Posts: 161
Location: UK
http://www.vox.com/2016/5/13/11661156/f ... tical-bias

_________________
We go away to find home, we make acquaintances to understand friends, we converse in order to enrich our conversation with ourselves. - Michael Oakeshott


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 6:09 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Apr 10, 2010 5:51 pm
Posts: 1615
Location: Laniakea Supercluster
Quote:
什么是「非死不可?」

Shénme shì "fēisǐbùkě ?"

What is "facebook?"

Literally; What is "you must die?"


(Chinese internet slang for facebook, comes from how the English word 'facebook'
sounds like to Mandarin speakers) () Trivia ()

M.Z. is learning and speaking Mandarin bytheby

_________________
Nothing in common


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 6:40 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2016 9:42 pm
Posts: 161
Location: UK
I heard of a game that graduate students of Chinese play. They go to the library, pick a book in Chinese and see how many hours it takes them to workout the title. :lol: I'm learning ancient Greek that's hard enough for me at the moment.

_________________
We go away to find home, we make acquaintances to understand friends, we converse in order to enrich our conversation with ourselves. - Michael Oakeshott


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 7:59 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:33 am
Posts: 1567
Location: Czech Republic
Pindar wrote:
I heard of a game that graduate students of Chinese play. They go to the library, pick a book in Chinese and see how many hours it takes them to workout the title. :lol: I'm learning ancient Greek that's hard enough for me at the moment.


Greek can be sure challenging, I have some knowledge about the language (Know a few greeks), but neverthless an interesting language


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 6:32 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2016 9:42 pm
Posts: 161
Location: UK
fufe wrote:
Pindar wrote:
I heard of a game that graduate students of Chinese play. They go to the library, pick a book in Chinese and see how many hours it takes them to workout the title. :lol: I'm learning ancient Greek that's hard enough for me at the moment.


Greek can be sure challenging, I have some knowledge about the language (Know a few greeks), but neverthless an interesting language



Definitely, I'm thinking about writing a post about how some aspects of classical studies relate to some of the themes running through this forum. But I'm halfway through exams at the moment though, maybe in a few weeks.

_________________
We go away to find home, we make acquaintances to understand friends, we converse in order to enrich our conversation with ourselves. - Michael Oakeshott


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 7:04 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Apr 10, 2010 5:51 pm
Posts: 1615
Location: Laniakea Supercluster
Pindar wrote:

Definitely, I'm thinking about writing a post about how some aspects of classical studies relate to some of the themes running through this forum.


Eudaimonia (?)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eudaimoni ... psychology

Autonomy
Personal growth
Self-acceptance
Purpose in life
Environmental mastery
Positive relations with others.

_________________
Nothing in common


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 9:14 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2016 9:42 pm
Posts: 161
Location: UK
.. form Aristotle's ethics. He believed in the 'golden mean', finding the best point between two extremes. Something that is relative to different individuals and particular circumstances. He also believed that there is a hierarchy of goods with intellectual reasoning at the top, but that the lesser goods (finding food, socialising ect.) are often needed to be attained first inorder to support it and it's good to have a balance between them.

Interestingly, he made a distinction between self control and temperance. In the case of temperance good action is a natural product of your dispositions, where as self control presupposes inner conflict. He also believed that temperance is a characteristic of a free man, where as self control is a characteristic of a 'good' slave. It is interesting, that these days, self control is held up as the highest virtue and key to success, where as temperance is often looked down upon. To cultivate temperance requires examining what goes into your head. He's defiantly worth a read.

_________________
We go away to find home, we make acquaintances to understand friends, we converse in order to enrich our conversation with ourselves. - Michael Oakeshott


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group