Natural Freedom

Forum for the natural awakening and self-realization of men
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:01 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 11:26 pm 
Hi Guys,

I think this post is best suited to go here. Right now, I work for an electronics manufacturer writing specifications for their new website and doing things related to setting them up to have an e-commerce section on their site that includes submitting them to distributors etc.

As it stands, I make $15 an hour with roughly 4 - 20 hours every two weeks. The money isn't consistent enough to live off of. I also don't think I'm getting the experience I need to make sure that I move onto a nicer job because consulting has evolved from just specifying the plan like I'm doing into actually executing the plan. I think that's a bad practice but that's the way it is.

I don't want to go back to school just yet to get any more degrees. It doesn't make sense. The only degrees I know of that are paying are tech degrees and it's fast becoming McDonalds. I just read an article about a new IT position called a Data Scientist. Guess What? There is supposed to be a demand for data scientist in 2018 on the order of nearly 2 million jobs. However, I then came across a few companies that are attempting to provide backend solutions that do all the analysis for you. What a dead end job. The worst part is that the sector winds up cannabalizing it's jobs. I can only think of two examples: outsourcing and the decline of Assembly programmers and Mainframe programmers. I'm sure there are more.

The worst part is that the learning curve to being a great applications developer, tester, administrator, engineer (board certified), etc. is that the learning curve is more than 5 - 10 years long. I could be wrong about this.

Now, I've changed my perspective and am trying to find recession proof jobs. The difficult part is that I can't figure out niches that people need. I have two examples so far: electricians and plumbers. The pay isn't glorious, hours are long, and conditions suck but people need it.

I'm fine with going back to school, but I want to make sure that schooling actually teaches me something more than just how to listen to lecture. I'm also willing to consider unconventional things.

My personal research has come to a dead end as there are 15 million articles and webpages all claiming the truth about wages, salary, and security etc. I've thought to myself that if I'm going to take the risk of earning another degree with higher debt and possibly be jobless or see bouts of joblessness from not having having job security that I would rather be an entrepreneur. True to that, I'm talking with some people right now to build a prototype of my software and am working hard to bootstrap it.

It's not hard to devote time to building my business since my job typically pays 10 hours over two weeks and I live at home with my mom.

I would definitely like Peregrinus give his take on the tech industry.

If you work in a professional trade of some sort I would also like your input.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 3:43 am 

Pharmacist, Nurse etc. those are excellent fields to be getting into.

You already have a degree. Why don't you pick something that has a high demand. Take all credits that you need and use the courses for your other degree as electives.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 8:52 am 

Quote:
Think BIG 8-)

Anything below $10,000,000 is a small business
(Man am I glad I specialized in foreign trade and
Mandarin & Japanese)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 3:59 pm 
Jared wrote:
Quote:
Think BIG 8-)

Anything below $10,000,000 is a small business
(Man am I glad I specialized in foreign trade and
Mandarin & Japanese)
There is a need for Chinese and Japanese speakers etc. You're definitely an asset.

Also, I am thinking big for my business. I'm doing my best to avoid building the product myself if I don't have to. I'm also actively recruiting team members through my network.
Altair wrote:
Pharmacist, Nurse etc. those are excellent fields to be getting into.

You already have a degree. Why don't you pick something that has a high demand. Take all credits that you need and use the courses for your other degree as electives.
Pharmacist is one of the fields that's going to be downsized from technology. The Nursing field will also take a hit because there won't be a need for as many now that Healthcare Tech companies are leveraging Near Infrared to detect emotional, psychological, and physical distress in patients. Nurses can simultaneously monitor like 5 patients.

That tech will be standard once I get out of nursing school. It's 15 years in the making and is some technology that's hindering me from moving forward on one of my business ideas because of the broad patents. It is so new.

I'm looking for areas of work that won't get cannabalized by software.

Edit: I also wonder what will happen to that industry when all the baby boomers die. 60% of the world or something is under 30 right now and the youngest baby boomers are 53 - 55. Assuming most of them die when they're 75 - 80. There's a 10 - 15 year gap when people will need way less medical care.

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 10:03 pm 

Most of this world runs on control systems. The more automation there will be the more there will be a need for people who can do controls. It involves programming which is something you seem to know.

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 9:12 pm 
This is interesting. No, I don't know programming. I'm learning it for my purposes as an entrepreneur.

How cross functional are these control systems? I.E. are there typical uniform control systems that I should about like Tesla, Ford, GM, BMW etc.? Do they use all use the same control systems from a set and trusted vendor?

Controls systems also seems like low level language work that applies to a lot of different operations besides cars. In fact, I think cars are the newest addition. It seems like you need to be an engineer to do this stuff though. I wouldn't want to go back to school to learn engineering and be stuck with 0 ability to use the degree because I have no relevant experience.

This does make a lot of sense though.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 2:45 pm 
I've stopped thinking, at least for right now, in terms of security and resources. This is how the opportunistic mind of the woman works. It's the wrong line of thinking. Re-reading 21st Century fox with a detached perspective and reading this article got me thinking. http://www.quora.com/What-kind-of-jobs- ... er-year-do

If you sell out for security and money then you have gained nothing. You have just lost your soul. You're losing the core essence of yourself just be secure for 10 or 20 years until the job market deems you replaceable. The chances you'll hit your exit number are next to zero. You're more likely to wake up hating your life than an actually realizing your financial aspirations.

The highest paying jobs with the best security are never posted. It is an illusion. You have to make that job for yourself. The actions that I'm taking right now may fail. If I do fail I'll learn from my mistakes and fail less next time.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 3:35 pm 

The key is to make the most money in the least amount of time.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 7:05 pm 

1 single IDEA will make you financially free.

A person in Japan used his synthetic imagination and
combined emoticons and small figurines, and that was the idea.

Whoever uses the English language and his synthetic imagination
can write his own ticket. Think in terms of Neologisms.

(an old example; Spoon + Fork = Spork, a new product.) You get the picture.
(Castle + Transylvania = CastleVania) brain-dead-easy-one

1 GREAT idea will make you financially free. 8-)

The other type of imagination is called creative imagination.

Never discard your good ol' imagination
BELIEVE

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 8:02 pm 

Jared wrote:

BELIEVE
I need some Sporks
I'm probably just gonna spend next free time hours in the next days taking random words from the vocabulary

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 7:29 pm 
Jared wrote:

BELIEVE
I do have that great idea. It's gone through many permutations and changes. 8-)

The question left is whether or not I can build it because I can't afford to pay someone. The second half to that same question of building is whether I can get enough attention.

Interestingly, since I've stopped giving a fuck about getting a job (I literally only apply to jobs for fun now). I've heard back from companies in less than 10 applications.

I'm probably going to go on an interview with this current company. I already had the phone interview. The only reason I would even consider taking this job is if it will defer the time at which I have to start raising other people's money for my current idea. It may not be possible for me to bootstrap this idea on my monthly income of $150 dollars.