Natural Freedom

Forum for the natural awakening and self-realization of men
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:58 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 1:25 am 
Site Admin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_sc4-I51mls

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 2:42 am 

Modern feminism got hammered last year. Things are shaping up quite nicely this year as well.

Between this attitude toward them becoming the norm and 50 Shades of Grey invalidating everything they stand for. I hold high hopes for this year. 8-)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 5:49 am 

Altair wrote:
Modern feminism got hammered last year. Things are shaping up quite nicely this year as well.

Between this attitude toward them becoming the norm and 50 Shades of Grey invalidating everything they stand for. I hold high hopes for this year. 8-)
Haha yup, the tables are turning.

A wise man once said "I find that a duck's opinion of me is influenced by whether or not I have bread."

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 11:03 pm 
I never understood the point or anything of 50 shades of Grey and how it relates to the matrix. I know there was a post about it a few years back before it became a blockbuster movie.

I also didn't allocate a lot of brain power to it because I was busy with school. Nancy Friday's My Secret Garden books are on my reading list now that I'm out of school though.

Is it supposed to be demystifying the lived female sexual experience or something? That's about the only thing that comes to mind if 50 Shades of Grey is the analog fiction to Nancy Friday's non-fiction.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 5:35 am 

Basically the take away point is that women only care about dominance/how little fucks you give.
Your moral character is irrelevant. I may watch the movie, I think it would be funny.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 10:30 pm 

I think the popularity of 50 shades of gray is giving the girl a fantasy scenario that appeals both to their true nature and their "mask". I'm basing this off what people who saw the movie told me, so somebody correct me if I'm wrong (hate judging work that I haven't seen/read/listened to)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 12:53 am 

I talked to a female friend about 50 shades just yesterday. She's read all three books (I didn't realize it was more than one) and watched the movie and is pretty into it. Based on the plot synopsis she gave me of the whole trilogy, what it sounds like is essentially just the classic super-formulaic grocery store romance novel plot:

- Theres a somewhat troubled, super-masculine dominant alpha male who has resisted all attempts to be tamed and who exerts his dominance on anyone and everyone around him.
- Until a fairly generic, not particularly attractive or special everywoman comes along (easy for the female reader to imagine herself as the protagonist).
- This nothing-special woman manages, with struggle and much doubt, to capture the alpha male's heart and he turns into a complete and total beta, but only towards her. He maintains his total dominance and super-masculine personality toward everyone else.
- They live happily ever after.

This one just happens to involve a modern day CEO rather than a barbarian warrior or knight in shining armor. I have no idea why this book was so successful when so many other trashy romance novels have used essentially the exact same plot before.

"The society gives you a map; I give you only freedom. The society gives you character, I give you only consciousness. The society teaches you to live a conformist life ... I give you an invitation to go on an adventure." - Osho

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 1:27 am 
Site Admin

Meraki wrote:
I talked to a female friend about 50 shades just yesterday. She's read all three books (I didn't realize it was more than one) and watched the movie and is pretty into it. Based on the plot synopsis she gave me of the whole trilogy, what it sounds like is essentially just the classic super-formulaic grocery store romance novel plot:

- Theres a somewhat troubled, super-masculine dominant alpha male who has resisted all attempts to be tamed and who exerts his dominance on anyone and everyone around him.
- Until a fairly generic, not particularly attractive or special everywoman comes along (easy for the female reader to imagine herself as the protagonist).
- This nothing-special woman manages, with struggle and much doubt, to capture the alpha male's heart and he turns into a complete and total beta, but only towards her. He maintains his total dominance and super-masculine personality toward everyone else.

This one just happens to involve a modern day CEO rather than a barbarian warrior or knight in shining armor. I have no idea why this book was so successful when so many other trashy romance novels have used essentially the exact same plot before.
The Sado twist...?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 2:53 am 
Meraki wrote:

I think part of it has to deal with social media and another part has to deal with "unusual" fantasies. Few women's novels cover new territory in fantasies. They typically stay in the area of cheating, casual sex, romantic sex etc. I haven't heard of the women's novel that goes in gangbang territory and is successful, which is a fantasy a lot of women have.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 3:23 am 

Yeah, good points both of you. I would be willing to bet that there are other trashy romance novels that do have sado sex stuff, but maybe not as explicitly as this one, where the male is clearly labeled as a sado the whole way though. Social media also probably has a lot to do with it. And I seem to remember hearing somewhere that the book was originally Twilight fan fiction? Not sure how that would play in.

"The society gives you a map; I give you only freedom. The society gives you character, I give you only consciousness. The society teaches you to live a conformist life ... I give you an invitation to go on an adventure." - Osho