Natural Freedom

Forum for the natural awakening and self-realization of men
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:33 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Fear is a choice
PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 2:13 am 

What is fear?

“Fear is not real. It is a product of thoughts you create. Do not misunderstand me. Danger is very real. But fear is a choice.”
- After Earth
Google define Fear wrote:
an unpleasant emotion caused by the belief that someone or something is dangerous, likely to cause pain, or a threat.
(YouTube video) what is fear

Fear - Wikipedia
Quote:
Fear can be learned by experiencing or watching a frightening traumatic accident.
Fear as a survival method wrote:
Because early humans that were quick to fear dangerous situations were more likely to survive and reproduce, preparedness is theorized to be a genetic effect that is the result of natural selection
fear & cognition wrote:
In humans and animals, fear is modulated by the process of cognition and learning. Thus fear has been judged as rational or appropriate and irrational or inappropriate. An irrational fear is called a phobia.
Quote:
The fear response serves survival by generating appropriate behavioral responses, as it has been preserved throughout evolution.
^Is that necessary? What about being conscious and using logic?
Quote:
The Yale philosopher Shelly Kagan examined fear of death in a 2007 Yale open course [8] by examining the following questions: Is fear of death a reasonable appropriate response? What conditions are required and what are appropriate conditions for feeling fear of death? What is meant by fear, and how much fear is appropriate? According to Kagan for fear in general to make sense, three conditions should be met: the object of fear needs to be "something bad", there needs to be a non-negligible chance of the bad state of affairs to happen, and there needs to be some uncertainty about the bad state of affairs. The amount of fear should be appropriate to the size of "the bad". If the 3 conditions aren't met, fear is an inappropriate emotion. He argues, that death does not meet the first two criteria, even if death is a "deprivation of good things" and even if one believes in a painful afterlife. Because death is certain, it also does not meet the third criteria, but he grants that the unpredictability of when one dies may be cause to a sense of fear.

FEAR IS NOT REAL (FEAR IS A CHOICE)
Quote:
The moment we see that our own deepest, darkest fears are 100% made of thought, we open up the space in our minds for our innate health, wisdom, and well-being to come through.

Debating the "realness" of fear with a buddy and led to some more research. After our debate and my research I have a different view and am now "pending". What our your views on the subject.

Post subject: Re: Fear is a choice
PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 9:04 am 
Site Admin

http://dune.wikia.com/wiki/Litany_Against_Fear
Quote:
"I must not fear.
Fear is the mind-killer.
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
Where the fear has gone there will be nothing....only I will remain"

In building a statue, a sculptor doesn't keep adding clay to his subject.He keeps chiseling away at the inessentials until the truth of its creation is revealed without obstructions. Perfection is not when there is no more to add,but no more to take away.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 4:01 pm 

From choice, there is no fear.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 3:58 am 

From: http://www.naturalfreedom.info/viewtopi ... 6&start=20
ahk wrote:
Recently came across this blog by a woman and these two articles:

http://www.thefemininewoman.com/2013/03 ... aving-you/
Quote:
If there was one thing I could have every woman understand about herself; it would be that our biggest fear is that we will be abandoned. With friends, this fear exists, with parents, it also exists, but nowhere is this fear more intense than dealing with men.
http://www.thefemininewoman.com/2013/04 ... ationship/
Quote:
Most men are totally happy alone. So they don’t often ‘get’ what is a good thing to do with a woman and what is a bad thing to do…
Have you ever noticed that very masculine men rarely feel the need to ‘call up’ their male friends to talk? Have you ever noticed that men get by without really contacting a lot of their circle of friends?
Masculine energy is at home alone…so they can go years without contacting family members or friends and still be ok.
My father was like this. My husband is no different, either. Masculine energy is at home being by itself. It’s ok living on an island for days, weeks, and months alone. It’s ok to meditate in a cave for days on end and forget about contacting you (really).

The author wrote:
Quote:
Can you ‘get over’ the fear?’
Of course not. That would be like telling a young infant not to cry, ever. Impossible. An infant cries to get people to tend to it. Infants are vulnerable. So are women. So are men. Women are just more consistently emotionally vulnerable than men. NOT more emotionally vulnerable, just more consistently emotionally vulnerable.

You can’t GET OVER any fear. Fear is always there; because it helps us survive. Without it, we’d be dead. Fear serves just as much of a purpose for us as does joy, elation, and emotional or sexual pleasure.
Fear described as a means to help us "survive" is redundant. It was brought to my attention that consciousness and logic will help you survive as well. Fear is not necessary. Time to drop that belief.

A lovely comment to the author which nailed many things is below:
Ann wrote:
Brilliant post as always. I have on disagreement. (Kindly) You CAN get over fears, especially of being alone. You must put as much attention as you do on men, to yourself and your own life. Have a few great friends who will answer the phone when you need them to. Have activities you love, especially when you’re giving to those less fortunate. Working with kids. Make your living space special, and comfortable, and pretty, as you like them so that being home is pleasurable.

Make the time for your own desires and hobbies. This way, if a relationship doesn’t work out, you have YOU.

When you get to know a man, and have feelings for him based on that fear, you’re not really knowing him. You’ve probably changed yourself a bit for the relationship to fit, and then when it doesn’t, the fear rises, you argue, you get resentful, and for what? Someone who really didn’t fit you in the beginning.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 4:58 am 

A rat wheel. She doesn´t have to do a squat but to
be herself for real, you see...

She is free from my decision to leave or be with her,
because that decision is based on my values and not
hers. Ultimately, she is free. Her decision to leave me
or be with me is based on her values, so I am free.

When we are unreal, so are our results.