Natural Freedom

Forum for the natural awakening and self-realization of men
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:21 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:09 pm 

Yesterday I went to McDonalds to get a coffee, I go up, order, then when I'm done the cashier asks me if I'd like to donate a dollar to the Ronald McDonald charity...I proudly looked her straight in the eyes and said no in front of everyone, it was great.

You fuckers should know how the world and social conditioning works, trying to make us obedient from childhood by using manipulation to instill guilt in us.

I saw a video the other day of a guy walking down the street minding his own business and a cop walks up and asks buddy for his name, buddy doesn't say shit because legally you don't have to talk to cops or show them shit if they have no probable cause.

Buddy stood his ground, kept on not saying anything, cop knew he couldn't get him legally so he goes "Well I'm officer so and so" trying to get dude to give a name by building phony rapport, dude stands strong, not a peep, cop can't win so then he says "Oh so you're that kind of guy?" Still stayed strong, didn't say shit. Cop then goes " Wow you must have woken up in a bad mood". Guilt trip making the guy think he's not a good person if he doesn't conform still goes south. Cop says have a nice day and leaves.

Best quote I ever heard was from ShitRabbit, "You're only selfish if you don't give into another persons selfishness". It's fun being on another level ain't it ;)

A wise man once said "I find that a duck's opinion of me is influenced by whether or not I have bread."

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:35 pm 

Hmm that donate a dollar thing usually makes me feel guilty. I shall have to introspect.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:00 am 

Altair wrote:
Hmm that donate a dollar thing usually makes me feel guilty. I shall have to introspect.
And everybody KNOWS that these charities really help ... :roll: :evil: (irony <-)

Good post Star !!!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:07 am 

I was buying shoes the other day and the cashier asked me if I'd like to donate to blah blah charity and I said no thank you. I gave her the money and as she was giving me my change she was blabbin about how wonderful this charity was. Sure as shit my change was 2 cents and I said I'm sure this will make a difference. Hahaha :twisted:

I never donate to a charity/fundraiser unless I know them personally.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:45 pm 

Star_Above wrote:
said no
You said no to the control system.

The most powerful word in the universe.

The concept of apophasis=to say no. Don't give energy into the system. Withdraw from what is wrong. In doing that, you ultimately do what is right.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 7:45 am 

Guilt is a substitute for a sense of reality in
a mind that is not yet developed.

(we are not born w/ a fully developed mind,
and therefore our parents+others may use
guilt as a substitute for a sense of reality.)

Guilt has nothing to do w/reality.

Shortly:
Unconscious guilt is to be brought to awareness,
then examined and let go.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 12:04 am 

Star_Above wrote:

Best quote I ever heard was from ShitRabbit, "You're only selfish if you don't give into another persons selfishness". It's fun being on another level ain't it ;)
And Oscar Wilde put it this way;

Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live,
it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.
"

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 10:23 am 

An aspiring young Buddhist walks up to me on the streets of London, and starts telling me about these books he has on him. I'm barely listening, but I sure as shit hear him when he asks me to buy them off him!

Me - 'Oh, no thankyou'.
Him, with an incredulous and hostile look on his face - 'Why not?! They're for a great cause'

Yeah, the cause to keep food on his table.

Me - 'I have enough books already'.

He walked off looking hurt and confused that someone would turn him down.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 5:46 pm 

@ Leo: :D

Ahhhh, the scourge of the 21st century:
Quote:
self-ab·sorp·tion
noun
noun: self-absorption

preoccupation with one's own emotions, interests, or situation.
(I admit that it's always been a problem with our species, but I have noticed a dramatic increase over the last 6 or so years....)
Leo wrote:
In this case, your young Buddhist friend may have been unable to even consider the possibility that your existence has a purpose other than to submit to his wants.

A couple days ago I went into the supermarket, and a couple women had a 'pink ribbon' booth at the entrance. They stopped me and asked me for a donation. I cupped my left 'breast' and told them "No thanks, i'm not at risk." I half-expected them to rant & rave in response - they laughed heartily.

As I was walking off, another woman (nothing to do with the 1st two) overheard this and told me that I was wrong - told me how 4 of her male friends have contracted breast cancer. I was actually a little 'triggered' by this, and was sorely tempted to explain to her MY belief that most of our modern-day ailments are due to unhealthy diets, lack of exercise, and especially unhealthy mentalities, and how the health care industry actually parasitically feeds off of this, etc. etc.

But I told myself 'fuck it' and listened, and simply nodded in acknowledgement when she was done.

When I was leaving the supermarket, I made it a point to walk past the 'pink ribbon chicks', saying 'Bye!'. They smiled and waved me off with the kind of fanfare that would make you think I was a good friend they hadn't seen in years. :lol:

"Temet Nosce"

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 4:18 pm 

Leo wrote:
An aspiring young Buddhist walks up to me on the streets of London, and starts telling me about these books he has on him. I'm barely listening, but I sure as shit hear him when he asks me to buy them off him!

Me - 'Oh, no thankyou'.
Him, with an incredulous and hostile look on his face - 'Why not?! They're for a great cause'

Yeah, the cause to keep food on his table.

Me - 'I have enough books already'.

Leo - this exact situation happened yesterday :lol: I was off to grab a drink with some buddies and a monk approached my friend and was trying to "GIVE HIM" a book about yoga and the Bhagavad Gita. Immediately after the monk mentioned how they take donations.

My friend, took his time, wrapping his head around the situation. Well, of course, since my friend gave the monk space, the monk started to over-explain about how they NEED money, etc....and then my friend promptly gave the books back and we walked away. Score! :mrgreen:

It's surreal reading about situations on the forum and seeing them in your life REAL time. :D

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 4:21 pm 
Site Admin

AlexJ wrote:
I was off to grab a drink with some buddies and a monk approached my friend and was trying to "GIVE HIM" a book about yoga and the Bhagavad Gita. Immediately after the monk mentioned how they take donations.
Seems they also give donations ;)

In building a statue, a sculptor doesn't keep adding clay to his subject.He keeps chiseling away at the inessentials until the truth of its creation is revealed without obstructions. Perfection is not when there is no more to add,but no more to take away.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 7:51 pm 

I used to donate for a charity organization here every month- not big amounts of money a small donation every month.

One day I read in the paper how much money the CEO of this 'donation organization' takes\earns every month and I'm like: WTF?
the money I donated probably never got to the people who needed it.

ever since then I don't donate to them anymore and they keep calling me every 6 months trying to use guilt and other BS tactics on me.

each time I tell them: as soons as the CEO doesn't take so much I'll think about it and then I hang up the phone. 8-)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 8:05 pm 

▲ ...God knows where the gold is... ▲

(....and where it goes.) :roll:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 6:44 am 

It is not at all surprising to me that people have had some strange experiences with aspiring Buddhist monks.

For the last 10 years, I've been volunteering 1-2 weeks per year at a Zen monastery. I would not call myself a Buddhist, per se, although I certainly think Buddhism has many many great lessons to teach.

The abbot of this monastery was once giving a little question and answer session for volunteers, and he said something really insightful.

He said that in the West, essentially nobody is born into becoming a Buddhist monk. Everyone who is a Buddhist monk in the West has chosen to become one, often with disapproval or at least confusion from their friends and family. They have chosen to give up a "normal" life to do something that is weird and in many ways socially alienating. In the East there are places where monks are respected and even revered - in the west, monks are strange and outcasts.

There has to be a pretty strong motivation in order for someone to decide its a good idea to give up their "normal" societal life and become a monk. What is that motivation? Suffering. What is one of the biggest causes suffering? Delusion and not seeing/accepting the world exactly as it is. Many of the most serious monks are the most deluded and least accepting people you will meet.

The Abbot followed this up by saying that you should look at the monastery as a hospital for sufferers, and that many of the the monks are the most serious patients with the greatest need for treatment - the in-patients. Then people that come for retreats and workshops are more like out-patients. The monks are not perfect beings to be held up as shining examples of what a healthy human is. It is the opposite - they are the people who need the most help.

Eventually, some of those who go the Zen monk route let go of their suffering, and those monks who have 'healed' stick around to serve as nurses and doctors for the next set of in and out patients.

"The society gives you a map; I give you only freedom. The society gives you character, I give you only consciousness. The society teaches you to live a conformist life ... I give you an invitation to go on an adventure." - Osho

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:12 am 

That's a beautiful way of putting it, Meraki.

I have no problem with a person wanting to sell me something - alas, everyone has to eat, aspiring Buddhists included. The only issue I take is the insincerity of the man who was trying to sell me something. He was far too attached to selling me these books, and that combined with his presumtiousness(attempting to trigger some sort of guilt complex in me) was off putting - I also do genuinely have too many books.

I don't feel that a Buddhist shouldn't be able to make a buck, mind you.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:15 pm 

Leo wrote:
He was far too attached to selling me these books
Of course he was. Thats why he's an in-patient. He's probably super-attached about everything, hence why he needed to become a monk.

"The society gives you a map; I give you only freedom. The society gives you character, I give you only consciousness. The society teaches you to live a conformist life ... I give you an invitation to go on an adventure." - Osho

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:20 pm 

Yes exactly, it's a most interesting perspective as I say.

Not to mention, becoming a Monk in one of the largest, modern and most populated cities in the world must be unfathomabley challenging :D

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 8:02 pm 

I don't know about u guys, but I have THE RIGHT to say "No" without feeling guilty. So since is my right, I'm going to use it.