Natural Freedom

Forum for the natural awakening and self-realization of men
It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:28 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
Author Message
PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 10:50 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2010 4:51 pm
Posts: 1414
Maxing out your potential isn't a crutch.

_________________
The honey doesn't chase the bee.

A wise man once said "I find that a duck's opinion of me is influenced by whether or not I have bread."


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 8:48 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2016 9:42 pm
Posts: 156
Location: UK
Star_Above wrote:
Maxing out your potential isn't a crutch.


Of all the things you could max out your potential on, why choose weight lifting over anything else?

_________________
We go away to find home, we make acquaintances to understand friends, we converse in order to enrich our conversation with ourselves. - Michael Oakeshott


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 11:29 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2010 4:51 pm
Posts: 1414
Pindar wrote:
Star_Above wrote:
Maxing out your potential isn't a crutch.


Of all the things you could max out your potential on, why choose weight lifting over anything else?


Who says you have to choose it over everything else, it's 2 measly hours a week. Like I said you should max everything out. And a bitch ain't gonna jock you if she has bigger arms than you.

_________________
The honey doesn't chase the bee.

A wise man once said "I find that a duck's opinion of me is influenced by whether or not I have bread."


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 1:02 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Apr 10, 2010 5:51 pm
Posts: 1597
Location: Laniakea Supercluster
Star_Above wrote:
And a bitch ain't gonna jock you if she has bigger arms than you.


Polish, 8-)

women, 8-)

shot put. 8-)

Polish shot put women :shock: strong

Yeah, 120 min of strength exercise per week is enough for muscle growth
and / or strength training. One good set to failure is enough to give good,
consistent gains. (1 x 8-15reps )

Do what you like to do for sports and health and fitness.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkff52xm9zw

_________________
Nothing in common


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 5:25 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2016 9:42 pm
Posts: 156
Location: UK
Fair enough.

Maxing out potential didn't seem to imply 2 measly hours of weight lifting a week. ' And a bitch ain't gonna jock you if she has bigger arms than you ' are you sure about that? Both hench bitches and fat bitches often come on strongest as they tend to be less feminine. You don't need to know game to know that.

_________________
We go away to find home, we make acquaintances to understand friends, we converse in order to enrich our conversation with ourselves. - Michael Oakeshott


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 7:17 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2012 3:35 pm
Posts: 740
Why is maxing out your potential (or just reaching it as much as YOU like) in fitness any less noble than all the other things you could do to improve yourself?

It's only a crutch if you identify with it, as are all things.

_________________
Take it easy, man. But take it.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 8:36 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2016 9:42 pm
Posts: 156
Location: UK
Star_Above wrote:
Maxing out your potential isn't a crutch.


I read as...
Maxing out your potential = something that isn't cruch.

I believe that...
Maxing out your potential can sometimes be a cruch

And that...
What is important and relevant is the reason for doing so.

And my comment was intended to draw attention to that in relation to the topic under discussion.

He could, of cause, have meant that, while something that maxs out ones potential can sometimes be a cruch, it is not a cruch in so far as it maxs out one's potential, but must therefore, be due to some other cause. But I didn't notice anyone else making that assumption so I didn't see a reason why he would state that. Though I could be wrong.





MAXING OUT YOUR POTENTIAL has a pretty extravagant ring to it. It almost seems to imply dedicating your entire life to something. Because if your not dedicating your entire life to something then your not really MAXING OUT YOUR POTENTIAL on it.

There are valid reasons not to dedicate too much of your life to weightlifting.
There are valid reasons why one should do so.

Some will apply to some people and others will apply to others. But in this particular instance I feel the poster who asked the question should not Max out his potential on weightlifting. One reason is that his gut seems to be telling him that he's doing it as cruch.

Star above, said that what he meant by MAXING OUT YOUR POTENTIAL was simply dedicating a few hours a week.
THIS I HAVE NO DISAGREEMENT WITH. However, my intuition tells me that the poster who asked was spending a lot more time than that otherwise he wouldn't feel that it might be a cruch.

_________________
We go away to find home, we make acquaintances to understand friends, we converse in order to enrich our conversation with ourselves. - Michael Oakeshott


Last edited by Pindar on Sun May 29, 2016 9:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 8:56 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2016 9:42 pm
Posts: 156
Location: UK
Aragorn wrote:
It's only a crutch if you identify with it, as are all things.


I disagree with this (at least I do not believe it to be the full picture). Japanese soldiers committed horrible war crimes because they were able to use Buddhism to disassociate them selves from their actions. German soldiers disassociated themselves from there actions for similar reasons. Here it seems that they DISIDENTIFY WITH SOMETHING AS A CRUCH.

_________________
We go away to find home, we make acquaintances to understand friends, we converse in order to enrich our conversation with ourselves. - Michael Oakeshott


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 9:01 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2016 9:42 pm
Posts: 156
Location: UK
Some of the points here may be of interest...

A popular continental philosopher criticises Buddhism: https://youtu.be/lAtUPfF1R_s


P.s I have nothing against Buddhism. I think it's an interesting philosophy that has its uses. But as with all philosophies it has its disadvantages too.

_________________
We go away to find home, we make acquaintances to understand friends, we converse in order to enrich our conversation with ourselves. - Michael Oakeshott


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group