Natural Freedom

Forum for the natural awakening and self-realization of men
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:51 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 3:22 am 

Agreed.

"The society gives you a map; I give you only freedom. The society gives you character, I give you only consciousness. The society teaches you to live a conformist life ... I give you an invitation to go on an adventure." - Osho

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 5:00 pm 

JDogg wrote:
I wish we could critique ourselves as readily and intensely as we critique others.
JDogg made a good point here. (There are other good points in that post too.) This relates to something i've realised for quite some time, but have difficulty remembering at key times (but I am improving :) ):

IT MAY SHOW A LEVEL OF PROWESS FOR ME TO BE ABLE TO SPOT SOMEONE ELSE'S PROJECTIONS, BUT IT'S FAR MORE FUCKING DIFFICULT - YET FAR MORE BENEFICIAL - FOR ME TO BE ABLE TO SPOT MY OWN.

This is said as much for my own benefit as anyone else's ;)

"Temet Nosce"

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 4:13 am 

Thanks Roark.

I want to add one more idea to that concep of self critique. I learned this while studying for a psychology final the other day.

When we judge other peoples actions, we are more likely to attribute their behavior to our perception of their character or internal environment.

Ex) if Joe Shmoe cuts me off on the way to work I'll think "Joe Shmoe is such an A-hole what a prick. He must be a terrible driver (internal characteristic)"

However, when we judge our own actions we are more likely to attribute our behavior to situational factors.

Ex) If I cut someone off on my way to work I'll explain this as so, "oh I am in such a rush to work (situational or external factor), I just have to cut in front of this guy"

I think the term for this is 'attributional bias'.

Also, in western cultures we generally place more weight on internal factors whereas in eastern cultures they pay more attention to situational/external factors.