Natural Freedom

Forum for the natural awakening and self-realization of men
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:30 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:52 am 

I understand we write about being a bit selfish for yourself. And, I completely agree with that. My context of 'selfish' is relating to FRIENDSHIP. I realized I'm a selfish friend. I care more about what I would prefer or want over my friend(s). In short this also is probably the reason why many of my friendships have ended...me being selfish.

Realizing this my new perspective of what it means to be a friend is you don't always do what's in your preference if doing it for a friend. If you care for your friend you think of them and their likes too; not only mine. You make small sacrifices for friends if needed, because you call them 'friend'. And, even though much of the world throws words around 'friends' is one that shouldn't. Friends are the ones you let into your life.

I'm curios to know if others had this realization and/or your take on selfishness with friendships.

-Peace

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 1:23 pm 

Caring about yourself first and foremost is a good thing. Look out for yourself, then others. I try to find the best scenario when we're out so everybody has a good time, but not at the expense of my well being.

One thing I did when I joined up here was start trying to control everybody and everything, but that was just me compensating for being timid and scared my whole life and trying to prove to myself that I can be "teh alpha uber awesome male". It was no fun for anybody, especially me, since all I did was put pressure on myself to win out over everybody else. Sickening, now that I look back at it.

Try to find out why you were acting selfish, separate it from what you do to take care of yourself and your interests (which is completely normal and acceptable). Basically, know when to put your foot down and when it's just your hurt ego messing with you and you screwing yourself over.

Wilfred is an awesome show btw, every show has a really cool lesson. I get the feeling Elijah Wood's character would like this site.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 2:13 pm 

You're only selfish when you don't indulge another person in their selfishness. :ugeek:

Pimposophy Revisited is now finally available on Amazon in all territories!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 5:48 pm 

The Kidd!! wrote:
You're only selfish when you don't indulge another person in their selfishness. :ugeek:
That is deep!!

Have you read "How to Win Friends and Influence People"? If so what are your thoughts on it?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 6:14 pm 

Quote:
Have you read "How to Win Friends and Influence People"? If so what are your thoughts on it?
Nope...but I'm sure it boils down to evaluating people to determine maximum return for as minimal investment as possible then entering into a parasitic symbiotic contract with said individual...not much different than your average business venture. :geek:

Pimposophy Revisited is now finally available on Amazon in all territories!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 6:39 pm 

The Kidd!! wrote:
The most epic quote eva 8-)

A wise man once said "I find that a duck's opinion of me is influenced by whether or not I have bread."

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 7:34 pm 

Star_Above wrote:
The Kidd!! wrote:
The most epic quote eva 8-)
2 exp. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:25 pm 

The Kidd!! wrote:
Put a smile on my face :geek:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 4:41 am 

We should create a Treasure Chest thread of just POTENT Quotes, and then have link(s) to each quote of where it derived from...this being one quote that enters in. Thoughts?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:16 am 

The Kidd!! wrote:
Quote:
Nope...but I'm sure it boils down to evaluating people to determine maximum return for as minimal investment as possible then entering into a parasitic symbiotic contract with said individual...not much different than your average business venture. :geek:
Haha, wow

I had to let this stir around for a while, but what you wrote above and the following quote could pretty much be the book. :shock:

Quote:
You're only selfish when you don't indulge another person in their selfishness.

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 2:57 pm 
'People are Selfish - Stating the Obvious' by Shkelqim Hajrullahi

https://youtu.be/gR1Jw4xcKas

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 4:24 pm 

It’s funny to reread old posts.

TheKidd’s quote is very true and nice to reread. And, in my experience when we become more comfortable being alone, friendships happen more naturally, because we aren’t jumping into a relationship to fill a void or feel better.