Natural Freedom

Forum for the natural awakening and self-realization of men
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:35 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: workplace situation
PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 5:19 pm 

I started off as a member of the gym i go to for three years and one day the owner

approached me and said that my 25.00 monthly membership fee can be exchanged for a

couple hours of washing and stocking towels over the weekend. I then started doing this for

a couple of months and was then told i have the option of getting paid on-call for helping out.

So now i am called a couple times a week at the most and when i asked the owner if i am

paid for the hours worked over the weekend he said no and that i am working for him on that

.I don't get it i though that once you are getting paid even if its on call you are no longer a

volunteer.I spoke to my brother about this and he basically said its sounds like i am getting

cheated.One thing i will mention do is that he does throw an extra hour or two on

my check at least on my only two checks so far but its seems like its more out of charity

and not formal.I basically am using this place as a

platform to hopefully get some clientelle and train individuals so i want a positive

relationship.Also,the lady there who is the only personal trainer that is affliated with the gym

texted me one day after i approached her at her studio and asked me to come in to shadow

and help out.At the end of it she asked me how much i expect to make and i told her 20-25

dollars after i get my certification to which she said she will have to get back to me.Any thoughts?

She was all in my space and flirted with me when i was training her clients but i have no
\
romantic interest in her.It also took me a couple of months to muster up the courage to ask

her and there were times she was flirting.She was very vivacious on the one and only

training session i helped out with and as soon as i mentioned 20-25 dollars it seemed like the

vibe dissapated and it has been a couple weeks and i haven't been asked to shadow.

Is it my job to re-approach and tell her that i will accept a lower price since i hardly have

any experience and its better to gain some exeprience even if it means taking a lower price

or is it up to her?

Post subject: Re: workplace situation
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 6:57 am 

Does the situation provide enough value for it to be worth working a couple hours for free? It seems like an equal exchange to me. A couple of hours of work for access to a client base. Wouldn't you have to pay advertising otherwise?

Wouldn't answer questions about salary. I'd just be like millions, gonna buy my own island actually.

Post subject: Re: workplace situation
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 5:27 pm 
There doesn't seem to be much of a problem. Small businesses and corporations move slow. They won't give you answers on the spot.

Also, I don't think you should give disrespectful answers about salary. I think about this differently than Altair though. I just wouldn't talk about the salary unless it's with the person who has the power to grant me the salary. I.E. the owner of this small business. I would ask if they have approval to discuss the money and then verify it with the owner, manager, or other monetary authority figure.

The damage is done now though. So just be patient. Never thought I would be the one saying that to someone else. :lol:

Fwiw, I was in a situation like this before. if the experience and everything outweighs your lack of pay then keep going. I quickly found out that the experience isn't always worth it, but it can be as long as the owner feels he can trust you. Small businesses move slow with new hires because talent is hard to retain and they don't want to waste investments. It is also hard for them to accommodate new hires because of cash flow issues usually. It's more than just about you.