Natural Freedom

Forum for the natural awakening and self-realization of men
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:10 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Becoming the best me
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:07 pm 

So I have some goals that have been swirling around in my head for the longest time. They need concreteness if I am going to follow them, which is why I have decided to post them here.

I also am going to post some of my bad habits that I do not yet have goals for, but I know I would like to change. I am very open to suggested goals from you guys. Also, any advice or guidance is would be highly appreciated, as usual.

Current goals:

- I want to reach 200 lbs by next summer while reducing my body fat percentage to 14%.

I am currently 190 lbs, and if I had to guess I would say I am 17% body fat an. I just recently started working out again. I want to be big and strong, but the most important part for me is health and functionality (includes flexibility and coordination). I am 6'2" and I have grown into my frame but I would like to be just a bit bigger.

- I want to lower my dependency on Marijuana; by October 1st, I want to lower my consumption to once a week or less. I am currently smoking on average once a day but that has been slowly going down since school let off.

I started smoking when I was 13 but it never really became habitual until this year. Being off at college for the first time, I have a lot more freedom and this freedom is exposing my lack of self-discipline. I had some stressful times this year and I turned to weed waaay too often in order to cope. I never smoked so much damn weed in my life and it hurt me psychologically and somewhat financially.

- I want to be proficient in the Java programming language by October 1st.

I just recently started coding in Java a few days ago and I really enjoy it because it is challenging but fun. I always liked to play videogames, but now I am going to dedicate my time to coding and tinkering with games. Computer Science is my major and I will be coding in Java come the fall so I figure it would be a great opportunity to get ahead on the subject during the Summer, especially when I have other difficult classes I have to worry about (Physics for engineers ugh).

- I want to find a job that I thoroughly enjoy.

I'm currently working a job on-campus and have been since December 2013. The job is... fine. It's not hard and pays minimum wage. It was a good first official job, until this job I had only done odd-ball jobs and freelance high school tutoring. I know I am capable of a lot and I really want to apply myself in a challenging environment. I don't want to sit on my ass twiddling my dick for 4 out of my 6-hour shift getting paid $50 a day to waste my time.

Ideally, I would find a job relative to what I am studying, but I don't think I have enough programming experience (less than a year) to handle a job like that. This is fine, and actually could be very opportune for me. Since I probably won't land a software engineering job in the next 6 months or so, I have time to work a different job and diversify my skills. I believe I have great communication skills for a student of CompSci and I want to take my career in an entrepreneurial/start-up direction after college.

So these are my medium-term goals for now. I am going to reserve the next post so I can outline my plan for each goal, once I devise it. This is the first time I have actually put a lot of thought into creating goals that are important to ME. I'm going to take a day to digest what I have written so I can create a strategy for success!

I'll keep you guys posted.

Post subject: Re: Becoming the best me
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:08 pm 

Strategy coming soon!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:20 pm 

Quote:
I want to lower my dependency on Marijuana
NO. SUCH. THING. :ugeek:

Pimposophy Revisited is now finally available on Amazon in all territories!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 9:33 pm 

The Kidd!! wrote:
Quote:

I meant psychological dependence and I believe that does exist. I know for a fact that I have smoked weed repeatedly in instances where I wanted to numb certain emotions. Mainly anger.

Maybe it doesn't exist, but even still, I want to prove to myself that I have the ability to stop smoking weed. It's more of an exercise in self-control than anything else.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:07 pm 

Quote:
I know for a fact that I have smoked weed repeatedly in instances where I wanted to numb certain emotions.
Kids...today's operative word is...WANTED. 8-)

Pimposophy Revisited is now finally available on Amazon in all territories!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 5:17 am 

The Kidd!! wrote:
Quote:
Boss.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 1:42 am 

The Kidd!! wrote:
Quote:
I know for a fact that I have smoked weed repeatedly in instances where I wanted to numb certain emotions.
Kids...today's operative word is...WANTED. 8-)
bliss wrote:
What's the word they used back in the day? ;)
The Kidd!! wrote:
Well...classically when dealing with dependency...the word NEEDED was the de facto operative word...but hey, whatever does it for you man. 8-)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 2:15 pm 

The Kidd!! wrote:
Quote:
THIS!!!!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:22 pm 

I have books full of goals going back ten years that are very similar, achieve x by y date with mixed results. Mostly mixed because I was trying to control the future instead of myself. There is a difference between the goal of being a great guitar player and the goal to practice playing everyday for example. It is a slight nuance that has helped me. To sum it up poetically: Focus on the path and let go of arriving at the destination.