Natural Freedom

Forum for the natural awakening and self-realization of men
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:46 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:44 am 

Recently I went from 112 to about 140, I'm happy with that because I used to be very light and looked like a light breeze could blow me over.
Unfortunately this has left me with a pot belly.

Has anyone got any tips on building stomach muscles? I tried sit ups but it messes up my back so was wondering if there is an alternative.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:54 am 
Site Admin

Plank

Inverse Plank

In building a statue, a sculptor doesn't keep adding clay to his subject.He keeps chiseling away at the inessentials until the truth of its creation is revealed without obstructions. Perfection is not when there is no more to add,but no more to take away.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:40 am 

Whats that?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:51 am 

peregrinus wrote:
Plank

Inverse Plank
Wat?

Really?

Oh, never mind I just looked at the actual exercises
Azriel wrote:
Whats that?
It's when you become a surfboard.

"...There is only one thing you can do. Master that one thing!...What you must be doing is visualizing yourself at your most powerful. You don't need any external enemies. The only opponent you must fight, is none other than your own image."

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:28 am 

Download the Ab Ripper X from the P90X program. If you have trouble finding it, PM me and I'll upload it somewhere. It strengthens your core, not just your abs (which leads to imbalance and injury).

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:16 pm 

Best advice on getting a six pack that I've read. Ignore the fact that its a chick writing - the same thing applies to men just as much:

http://www.chickentuna.com/How_to_get_Abs.html

Thats not to say you shouldn't strengthen your core - thats a good idea for injury prevention, general fitness, etc, but getting a stronger core will not give you a six pack.

"The society gives you a map; I give you only freedom. The society gives you character, I give you only consciousness. The society teaches you to live a conformist life ... I give you an invitation to go on an adventure." - Osho

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:32 pm 

moose35 wrote:
Download the Ab Ripper X from the P90X program. If you have trouble finding it, PM me and I'll upload it somewhere. It strengthens your core, not just your abs (which leads to imbalance and injury).
This might be a bit intense - some of those you probably shouldn't even do "cold" - p90x is actually the third or 4th level of p90 I believe. I bought the power 90dvd a long time ago and used it for years. There is a level 1-2 and 3-4 that have very good ab workouts. They will kick your ass if you are new. I believe p90x is "after" you can do all of those. Some of the p90x ab moves you might literally not be able to do a single one with truly correct form and that's really important for not hurting yourself.

But if you already have some decent strength go nuts!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:07 am 

Meraki wrote:
Thats not to say you shouldn't strengthen your core - thats a good idea for injury prevention, general fitness, etc, but getting a stronger core will not give you a six pack.
I would say that injury prevention is the number one goal when doing physical activity. Warming up might not look cool and sexy either, but it's essential. Not to mention the fact that a strong core will pay off exponentially if you do basically anything aside form core work. Athletics, weight lifting, sports, gymnastics, shit even physical labor of any kind.

Flow is right though, it is advanced. I couldn't do the whole thing when I first started (probably can't now either yet). Depends on your level of fitness, but you do have to be doing a sport of some kind actively, preferably while also lifting weights. If not, find workouts that emphasize using your legs instead of your upper body, and also exercises that are dynamic (twisting your spine, varying motions).