Natural Freedom

Forum for the natural awakening and self-realization of men
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:54 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 12:24 am 

Rest - Pause 3 x 3

by

John McKean

To us hard-core American Combatives practitioners, very little matches the exhilaration of hearing John Kary holler "NOW!!!" as we face Renfro, Spanky, Buckwheat, or his other spar pros at the Academy! John's unique strike training, one speedy, hard blow at a time, is what weightlifters have long referred to as "rest-pause." That is, we concentrate maximum force into a single pop, then set up for perfect body alignment again, proceed to another outlay of this dynamic explosion, etc. Unlike "more art than martial" systems, thousands of slow motion or even snappy but weak repetitions are not employed to rob energy and spirit!

From my long experience in competitive weightlifting, I'm suggesting we employ exactly the same rest-pause system to any/all supplemental strength training. Not only will this coordinate with and enhance our combatives striking, but will add pure power to the body faster than any other method. Nor does it matter whether strength training is done with weights, flex bands, rocks, logs, or calisthenics. Do your reps individually, placing total emphasis on high resistance with maximum speed.

How many rest-pause singles per exercise? Well, this is meant to enable quick, high energy workouts which actually embody all REAL, successful power training. Years of successful application of rest-pause have led me to over 100 U.S. and World All-Round weightlifting records, peaking my experiments to the formation of the "3 x 3" system. Perform in this manner: use enough resistance on any exercise you choose to make one rep fairly tough (but not a maximum effort), do the movement with acceleration once, then put the bar, band, or apparatus down for five to 15 seconds, do the second single, rest, then the third. Now take a break for a minute or two before proceeding to the next series of three singles, another break, and complete the third R-P set.

Try to use movements which work major muscle groups, but don't do more than three or four exercises per session. For instance, a chin-up is a great u pper body strengthener -- hang extra weight or attach a flex band around your waist so one rep is kinda tough, and then do three sets of three fast paced singles. Or do as famous boxer Rocky Marciano once did -- take a small boulder and clean and push press it or THROW it overhead for really max speed and acceleration (just remember to get the hell out of the way!), in the 3/3 mode. Do a barbell deadlift with a flex band wrapped around the bar and under your feet (enhances speed-strength within a power lift) -- rest-pause 3 x 3. Even with a "chest expander" outfit, resist the temptation to go for slower "pumping" repetitions -- do a back press or cable pulldown with single, extreme speed pushes or pulls; make those bands SNAP!

Oh, by the way, try this same "rest-pause 3 x 3" with your ACA strike training! Because we have two arms, rest-pause is a natural -- three individual explosions with the right, three perfect-form single snaps with the left, alternating until the quick nine are done for each side. At our Pittsburgh ACA branch, we always think of our combative workouts as "power" sessions ,beginning with 3 x 3 R-P cuphands, axehands, chin jabs, forearms, face smashes, etc. Not only are our strikes progressing much more dynamically, but all following sequences and simulations become unbelievably energized!

A wise man once said "I find that a duck's opinion of me is influenced by whether or not I have bread."

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:04 am 

Mk lemme see if I'm getting this, so it's one set accelerated, short break, second set, rest then third set...then a few minutes rest and repeat 2x?

"Simply put, you being in her life is a BLESSING. Her wronging you in any way is her own self-inflicted CURSE, and if she does wrong you, then let the punishment fit the crime. Her life will absolutely SUCK without you."

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:43 pm 

Alchemist wrote:
Mk lemme see if I'm getting this, so it's one set accelerated, short break, second set, rest then third set...then a few minutes rest and repeat 2x?
It's basically do 1 rep, rest 5-10 seconds, do 2nd rep, rest 5-10 seconds, do 3rd rep (That's your 1st set of rest-pause), then rest about 3 minutes and do 2 more sets like that. It actualy turns out to be 9 singles, with a different time distribution between reps and sets.

A wise man once said "I find that a duck's opinion of me is influenced by whether or not I have bread."

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:32 pm 

That's tight man, I'm definitely giving that a shot, any advice for buiding some abs?.

"Simply put, you being in her life is a BLESSING. Her wronging you in any way is her own self-inflicted CURSE, and if she does wrong you, then let the punishment fit the crime. Her life will absolutely SUCK without you."

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:59 pm 
Site Admin

Alchemist wrote:
That's tight man, I'm definitely giving that a shot, any advice for buiding some abs?.
The plank

In building a statue, a sculptor doesn't keep adding clay to his subject.He keeps chiseling away at the inessentials until the truth of its creation is revealed without obstructions. Perfection is not when there is no more to add,but no more to take away.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:43 pm 

Alchemist wrote:
If you squat, press and pull heavy then you'll hit abs residualy, there's no need for extra ab work.

Here's my current routine, although the exercise selection changes a lot...

Monday

Push: Barbell floor press (Benches hurt my back)
Pull: Weighted chins
Leg: Box jumps

Wednesday

Push: Dumbell floor press
Pull: Hammer row
Leg: Split squats

Friday

Push: 1-arm explosive push-ups
Pull: Power-over chins
Leg: Tire flips *This is technically a full-body exercise

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:29 pm 

peregrinus wrote:
Alchemist wrote:
The plank

I already do that, guess I have to do more sets.:p

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 1:01 pm 

ManniJa wrote:

Monday

Wednesday

Friday

so you don't walk or run at all?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 2:05 pm 
Site Admin

Alchemist wrote:
I already do that, guess I have to do more sets.:p
Sets? LOL!

It is time based, at least the one I do. If you do not feel you are not doing enough, just do it for longer, or add the side on and limb lifted variations.

Alternatively, balance a weight on your ass, that makes it tougher.

--

Might also want to check out the book/website for 'Body by Science'

In building a statue, a sculptor doesn't keep adding clay to his subject.He keeps chiseling away at the inessentials until the truth of its creation is revealed without obstructions. Perfection is not when there is no more to add,but no more to take away.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 3:21 pm 

Awesome, thanks. :D

I used to go for up to 3 min. but decided to go for 1 min. 10 times with a 30 sec. break.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:42 pm 

Alchemist wrote:
Step away from the fork

Abs are made in the kitchen

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 5:30 pm 

Sniper wrote:
ManniJa wrote:

Monday

Wednesday

Friday

so you don't walk or run at all?
I walk about an hour a day, do sprints about 2x a week and then have boxing 3x a week...I just don't do any long duration aerobic stuff like you asked about jogging before.

And to sign off about what my man 'G said, technically when I do all push-up variations it's considred a plank position, so again...it's indirect.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 5:32 pm 

Matty wrote:
Alchemist wrote:
Step away from the fork

Yes about abs being made in the kitchen, but no for eating less...that just loses you a ton of muscle - it's about eating the right combination of macros, not less of everything.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 2:11 pm 

ManniJa wrote:
Matty wrote:
Alchemist wrote:
Step away from the fork

Yes about abs being made in the kitchen, but no for eating less...that just loses you a ton of muscle - it's about eating the right combination of macros, not less of everything.
I agree eating good nutritional food is important for overall health and maintaining lbm while you cut, but for getting lean it’s all about creating a calorie deficit, nothing else.

Most of the nutrition advice from the internet gurus and fora about insulin this and metabolism that is further example of matrix, marketing, bullshit, propaganda and bro-speak.

Did you read about Mark Haub’s ‘twinkie diet’?
http://johnbarban.com/mark-haubs-twinki ... iet-works/

Not that I’m suggesting that’s a good way to go

Are you familiar with intermittent fasting? I’ve been down to around 6-8% bodyfat with zero cardio, and zero loss in strength/lbm. This was done whilst still enjoying junk food on occasion and some drinks at the weekends.

This is getting away from topic though, so if anyone wants to talk about it lemme know and we can start another thread on getting lean.

P.S. Good article on the 3x3, it’s a good protocol

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 1:16 am 

Intermittent fasting, absolutely...I actually do it frequintly, I have one big meal a day a la warrior diet and then 1 day a week I completely fast. We'll just agree to disagree on the calorie and carb thing...I use to beleive what you do and I know there's no changing your mind, cause there was no changing mine either when I believed what you did until I dug deeper into the nature of human evolution.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 3:25 pm 

ManniJa wrote:
We'll just agree to disagree on the calorie and carb thing...I use to beleive what you do and I know there's no changing your mind, cause there was no changing mine either when I believed what you did until I dug deeper into the nature of human evolution.
I'm completely open to changing my mind, I'm not so egotistical that I'd cling to ideas just because I want to believe them. If reason or proof shows otherwise then I'm all for accepting new ideas. No need to make assumptions about me

When you mention evolution, I'm guessing you're talking about a paleo style diet?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 4:15 pm 

Matty wrote:
ManniJa wrote:
We'll just agree to disagree on the calorie and carb thing...I use to beleive what you do and I know there's no changing your mind, cause there was no changing mine either when I believed what you did until I dug deeper into the nature of human evolution.
I'm completely open to changing my mind, I'm not so egotistical that I'd cling to ideas just because I want to believe them. If reason or proof shows otherwise then I'm all for accepting new ideas. No need to make assumptions about me

When you mention evolution, I'm guessing you're talking about a paleo style diet?
I don't like the Paleo thing as most people know it, as the fruit of today is a completely man made substance and our pancreas' were never meant to release that much insulin, plus nuts are completely indigestable to humans, we can't even digest a kernel of corn so how can we digest nuts..which are man made as well.

Eggs give most people the shits and gas, there's a ton of fish alergies, legume alergies, etc.. I'm a big beleiver that humans are naturally meant to be zero carb, or at least < then 10 grams a day as bacteria, cancer cells, etc feed on carbohydrate...I've experienced this for myself, since I cut out carbs my acne went away, I use to get bad urinary tract infections, never had one since...I could go on. Plus cancer and dental problems are non existant in the inuit (Before they were westernized), dental cavaties and gingivitis are a complete agricultural derived problem, sugar and starches cause most of our current diseases...we were never meant to die of cancer and shit, or have cavaties and teeth problems.

Check out the works of Arctic explorer Vilhjalmur Stefansson and and read up on the american plains Indians that ate nothing but buffalo pemican. I don't think humans are true carnivoirs as I use to, as we have teeth that resemble a herbivoire...but lot's of meat with a "little" veg is the way I go.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:47 am 

EDIT: I meant to say Omnivore.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:47 am 

Haha, we actually agree on a lot of things ManniJa. There are a lot of people who have reported great improvements after going on an all meat diet. It sounds like you and I actually follow a very similar diet (although I'm not as strict as you appear to be).

I've been around the block a lot when it comes to this subject, and I'm familiar with the research you mention, West A. Price etc. I agree with you about the health aspects of carbs etc. My point was purely in regard to losing weight. Regardless of what the paleo guys like to believe about insulin and so on, losing weight is calories in vs. calories out.

I guess like you say, we'll have to agree to disagree on this. Good to be sharing ideas with you though

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:01 am 

P.S. You're aware that even protein foods are insulinemic as well, right?