Forum for the natural awakening and self-realization of men
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:01 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Wanted
PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 11:14 pm 
Site Admin

To go with the recent thread on Limitless

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wanted_%282008_film%29

In building a statue, a sculptor doesn't keep adding clay to his subject.He keeps chiseling away at the inessentials until the truth of its creation is revealed without obstructions. Perfection is not when there is no more to add,but no more to take away.

Post subject: Re: Wanted
PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 11:56 pm 

good movie I have seen it

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 5:28 am 

it was better than i thought it was going to be

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:46 am 

Here's what you said about Limitless.
peregrinus wrote:
Saw it today.

Loved the first 1/2 hour or so.

The middle got a bit lost in my view, probably was meant to, however I felt it could have been done better.

Hated the ending and the part that preceeded it
. Really disliked how it was written.

All in all, very disappointing considering what they could have done with the premise of the whole film, it was a beautiful concept, ruined in my view.

Funny. That's exactly how I felt about Wanted. He was supposed to leave his life for a better life, instead he went from one web of lies to another. I felt the second half of the film betrayed a wonderful and inspiring first half. There are elements in the first part of the film that were outstanding.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:00 pm 
Site Admin

Scarf wrote:
Funny. That's exactly how I felt about Wanted. He was supposed to leave his life for a better life, instead he went from one web of lies to another. I felt the second half of the film betrayed a wonderful and inspiring first half. There are elements in the first part of the film that were outstanding.
Amusing.

I was wondering when someone would point this out.

It is how I feel about most modern films.

The first half is usually good, then the second half is not good, as they try to fit in the various things they feel they need to : love story, sex, man giving in, ending that fits their mould, other things.

They start off great, then faulter as they try to conform to some meaningless concept of what a film should be.. Not sure if it down to the Studios or who else, someone does meddle with them that is for sure.

In building a statue, a sculptor doesn't keep adding clay to his subject.He keeps chiseling away at the inessentials until the truth of its creation is revealed without obstructions. Perfection is not when there is no more to add,but no more to take away.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 12:46 pm 

Indeed. Somebody comes up with half an idea and before completing it, they reverse the story to get an easy ending. Originally it was thought that this was a clever element after films like the Usual Suspects. Suddenly it became cool to twist everything. All three Mission:Impossible films have done it - all three! It was OK to do it on the first one as an idea that hadn't been explored and was fairly believable, but a disavowed member on the second and a guy with alternative morals on the third just looked like borrowed ideas.

This continued on films like Shutter Island (basic copy of Identity), Unknown and of course Wanted. Some exceptions include Fight Club and the Matrix which explored the idea of betrayal in other forms and wasn't so institutionalised.

Luckily we have films like Inception, Dark Knight, Social Network, Meet the Parents, Inside Man etc which give the characters depth and consistency and doesn't willfully attempt to make a mockery of the audience. The stories is told fully in the spirit with which it was born.

This film however had so much potential, we could be sitting here discussing the inner truths portrayed in the film and could have inspired (men, in particular) to take control of their lives. As quick and as strongly as the wake up call came, the audience were re-sedated with the 'Luke, I am your father moment' tearing away the explosion of well being that came when McAvoy's character realised that he had a higher purpose in life than being stuck where he was. However, as his higher purpose turned out to be a lie, a lie which also wanted him dead, he looked as big a loser as when he first started. Even the money in his account had been drained.

I could go on but I would say that we do have other films like Vanilla Sky and Dark Knight that point out certain truths if you are listening. In particular the Joker who says:

"...they need you now, but when they don't, they'll cast you out...like a leper. See their morals - their 'code'; it's a bad joke. Dropped at the first sign of trouble. They're only as good as the world allows them to be. When the chips are down, these 'civilised' people(?) They'll eat each other..."

Who knows, maybe they'll eventually make a film where it is the protagonist carrying life's truths, rather than the antagonist.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 4:05 pm 

I look at it like screen playwrights and directors are just conforming to The Matrix...I'd bet movies like Wanted and Limitless might have had better second halves initially...but then since the studio bigwigs who have to approve everything (unless you are a Marquee director a'la Speilberg/Lucas/Scorsese) want to appeal to the mass market...and since the mass market are steak eaters...well, let's just say that I'm sure lots of arguments were had and lots of revisions were made. :|

The end of Hav Plenty illustrates this dynamic PERFECTLY.

Pimposophy Revisited is now finally available on Amazon in all territories!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 7:52 pm 

funny, I was thinking last week how KIDD reminded me of " The Repair Man" and "Pai Mei" ( from Kill Bill) :lol: .

Like everyone else said, the first have was good, but after he got his skills together it took a turn. I like the part when he finally admitted that he wanted to know who he was. it opened a door for him where he really began to take his training seriously.