Natural Freedom

Forum for the natural awakening and self-realization of men
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:46 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 11:15 pm 

i highly recomend this book, it's time for more men appreciation

this is a review i found

Bly, a major American poet who won a National Book Award in 1968, appears regularly at workshops for men. The book's title refers to a mentor-like figure in a Grimms fairy tale who serves as Wild Man, initiator, and source of divine energy for a young man. This marvelous folktale of resonant, many-layered meanings is an apt choice for demonstrating the need for men to learn from other men how to honor and reimagine the positive image of their masculinity. Bly has always responded to Blakean and Yeatsian intensities, preferring to travel the path lit by mythic road signs. His intent here is to restore a lost heritage of emotional connection and expose the paltriness of a provisional life. For many men capable of responding imaginatively to allegory and myth this will be an instructive and ultimately exculpating book. Others may regard it as an inscrutable attempt, intuitive at best, to find merit in male developmental anxieties. For all collections emphasizing family or gender studies.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 6:45 pm 

I've been wanting to read this book for a while now, but bookstores keep telling me "for some reason it's getting harder and harder to find"

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 4:05 pm 

I just found this book used, for $3.99. I'm only about a quarter in, but stayed up later than planned last night because I couldn't put it down. Very easy, enjoyable read that sucks you in.

I'll share my thoughts as soon as I finish. So far seems to deal with breaking free of our parents expectations of us, and embracing our "dark side" or "wild man" as the book calls it. Mentions Jung a lot as well.

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 6:51 pm 

yes is a very enjoyable book

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 8:03 pm 

Reading this now, deep. :geek:

"Simply put, you being in her life is a BLESSING. Her wronging you in any way is her own self-inflicted CURSE, and if she does wrong you, then let the punishment fit the crime. Her life will absolutely SUCK without you."