Natural Freedom

Forum for the natural awakening and self-realization of men
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:33 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Movie Rec: Gone Girl
PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 7:50 pm 

Its available online in HD for free if you know where to look (*cough solarmovie cough*), or its coming out on DVD mid-January.

Really well done movie. I think most blue pill people will think its highly unrealistic, but I think guys here will see that its actually uncomfortably close to reality.

An excellent illustration of leverage. The wife has leverage over everyone in the movie because she cares the least (in a very sociopathic kind of way).

"The society gives you a map; I give you only freedom. The society gives you character, I give you only consciousness. The society teaches you to live a conformist life ... I give you an invitation to go on an adventure." - Osho

Post subject: Re: Movie Rec: Gone Girl
PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 11:28 am 

Lol thanks Meraki. Will definitely give it a watch.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 3:22 am 

Meraki wrote:
Its available online in HD for free if you know where to look (*cough solarmovie cough*), or its coming out on DVD mid-January.

Really well done movie. I think most blue pill people will think its highly unrealistic, but I think guys here will see that its actually uncomfortably close to reality.

An excellent illustration of leverage. The wife has leverage over everyone in the movie because she cares the least (in a very sociopathic kind of way).
It was a great film. Thanks for sharing.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 10:15 pm 

I have just this very minute finished watching it, and throughout the entirety I was thinking about this forum.

I think you guys will love it.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:50 am 
Someone should make a discussion thread for this.

First word on the subject: this movie doesn't miss a beat. It moves so fast it's hard keep up and breakdown what happened and make predictions if you care to do that.

Spoiler:
Is this really leverage or more just a bunch of blue pill people surrounding her? I think it's the latter. If the feds weren't playing whose dick is bigger with that brass balled blood hound of a bitch she would be getting a lethal injection. I guess that fact does go back to caring somewhat more so than being oblivious.

I do agree that this way too close to reality for comfort. The are some real nut cases out there. There were too many warning flags though.

The dude is retarded to actually stay even in the spotlight. He should have filed for divorce immediately.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 12:07 pm 

He's broke without her. He's jobless, prospectless, lazy, apathetic, ignorant and so on. And that's the point; most men are ignorant and apatheric, and they wouldn't know what a red flag is if they saw it, let alone believe it exists. His wife pulled the wool over his eyes. Now he has book deals, interviews, probably movie rights. Set up for life. By divorcing her he will lose everything, least of all the kid, and go back to being the 'most hated man in America'. Destitute too. It's clear why he stays. If the shoe were on the other foot, however, she would be asking for that divorce because the court would be in her favour. She won, basically.

The film was a great allegorical satirisation.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 3:04 pm 

Fantastic movie. Really expected something a lot slower and more grim, this was an exciting watch. Lots of uncomfortable truths put on display.

But to be real, that blonde talk show host really got me riled up just watching her. Portraying leverage and perception in the movie is one thing, but it was a nice commentary on the media as well.

Affleck did a solid job acting as well.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 12:36 am 

All excellent comments. The wife is definitely meant to be an extreme character in order to illustrate some concepts. I think most people will view her as a over the top caricature, but unfortunately I do not think she is actually that far beyond what some (many?) women are like if given the right circumstances. She is a bit more extreme for sure, but not so far beyond.

Slim - I don't agree with you. She has power over everyone in the situation because she really does care less. She is willing to burn the whole place down, even if it means burning herself in the process.

SPOILER:

Notice how when she is living in the trailer park, she has the calendar with sticky notes on it. One of the sticky notes says, "Kill self?"

She realized that in order to get back at her husband, it may require her to actually kill herself to ensure he is given the death sentence. At some point in the movie she actually takes that sticky note off her calendar because the Ben Afflek has blundered enough that he most likely would be convicted regardless of whether there is a body or not.

Minor quibble with this: if she really was willing to kill herself just to ensure that ben afflek was given the death penalty, then why didn't she just buy a gun and shoot him and then shoot herself? Maybe something about wanting other people to judge her vs. ben afflek? Seems a bit illogical...

"The society gives you a map; I give you only freedom. The society gives you character, I give you only consciousness. The society teaches you to live a conformist life ... I give you an invitation to go on an adventure." - Osho

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 7:31 pm 

Meraki, it was a major part of her plan that 'Fleck was judged and pubicly condemned by the nation as a killer, and that he be put on death row(as Missouri or wherever it was set, can't recall, still has the death penalty). It actually became apparent that he would have been convicted without a body, but before that she actually had second thoughts about suicide because she asks the question,'Why should I be the one to die?'. Then she get's robbed and is forced into calling Neil Patrick Harriss. That arrangment forces her to improvise and change her original plan.

There is something highly narrcisistic about her in that she can't quite cope with not existing to other people. She has to be the centre of of it all and hence her plan becomes even more risky, imaginative and wacky. And talk about leverage! Without her reappearance he was fucked, and with her reappearance it's another level of fucked. Interestingly it is a FEMALE detective who has doubts about her nearly from the start, whilst her
MALE counterpart simply believes the husband is guilty because it's the most obvious conclusion. She even says,'The idea of the most simple answer being the right one? That's not true'. It's just another stereotpye that we take for granted; the stereotype that a Women is a victim and a Man the abuser.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 9:37 pm 

lmao.. haven't been to this forum in a month.. just watched this film and I suddenly thought about this forum. So, I log on here, find the movie section and BAM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! first thread lmao

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 2:03 pm 

I think she saw Affleck as a guy who humiliated her in some ways, and was looking to get back at him for this (the whole straw that broke the camel's back was the other girl he was secretly seeing).

If the nation villified him and saw him as the bad guy, while she was America's sweetheart (remember how her "real self" always felt like it couldn't match up to "Amazing Amy"?) then she gets the win. She was far more interested and invested in shifting the perception people had of her than getting any personal revenge on her husband.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 1:40 am 
I'm not sure if some of the comments I read about the movie were true, but more than one person said this was based on a true story.

Edit: it's believable. I haven't bothered to vet that claim yet.