Natural Freedom

Forum for the natural awakening and self-realization of men
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:54 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 5:53 am 

"REMEMBER, BE HERE NOW" by Baba Ram Dass.

http://www.amazon.com/Remember-Here-Now ... e+here+now

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Be_Here_Now_%28book%29

A friend recently turned me onto this book (just when I thought I wasn't going to read any more spiritual books). The first section details how he became turned onto the path of yoga and meditation (interesting fact: he was a friend of Timothy Leary, LSD pioneer), the second section has a lot of pretty drawings detailing his description of "the path", nature of reality etc., but for me the third part (Cook-book for a Sacred Life) is the fuckin' bomb. It details various spritual practices in a very doable and practical way for the novice, and unlike many of the contemporary spritual authors I have read, he also cautions regularily on over-zealousness which can lead to burnout, practicing for the sake of superiority/ego, and other such pitfalls. Of course you may not want to do ALL of the practices recommended - I certainly don't intend to.

Anyway, the comprehensive and yet highly practical nature of the Cookbook section to me alone makes this a valuable book. Bear in mind, however, that a lot of the practices that I consider useful in this book are also clearly detailed on this forum. Not to put any pressure on them, but at the risk of sounding like a brown-noser, if 'Grinus and Flow got together and authored a book on spiritual practice, it would (for my purposes, anyway) blow all the other stuff I have read out of the water; not necessarily for the volume of knowledge, but more because of how condensed and practical the advice would be.....

"Temet Nosce"