Natural Freedom

Forum for the natural awakening and self-realization of men
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:50 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Four Hour Work Week
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:20 am 

Anyone read this? What were your thoughts?

Anyone tried setting up a small business online?

EDIT: this was supposed to go in the music, books, movies section :oops:

Post subject: Re: Four Hour Work Week
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:02 pm 

I got sucked into Tim Ferriss' cult, but that guy is like any other PUA scamster. The dude takes information and repackages it as lifehacking material, which of course appeals to the masses because he is out to give you the quick pill solution to a lot of aspects of life.

Check out some of his posts which are absolute horseshit and marketing ploys like where he gains 36 pounds of muscle in a month under 4 hours total. Not even steroids can provide that!

Furthermore, he hypes up his achievements in a kickboxing tournament where he cheated and dehydrated himself to fight at a much lower weight division and won by pushing opponents off the ring.

Stay away from this fucker! He is a marketing genius like Eben Pagan, that's all.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:07 pm 

Lol Diego, I have a completely different experience with his books. I didn't read any of his marketing, just downloaded and read the 4 hour work week. It's not all original material, but it truly does help you lead a much, much more productive life. It teaches things like the 80/20 principal and other ways of maximizing the time you do spend working. I'd give it a read.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:26 pm 
Site Admin

4Hour Workweek
4Hour Body
4Hour Chef
4Hour Sleep
4Hour Marriage
4Hour Mastubation
4Hour Lawyer

Take your pick.

In building a statue, a sculptor doesn't keep adding clay to his subject.He keeps chiseling away at the inessentials until the truth of its creation is revealed without obstructions. Perfection is not when there is no more to add,but no more to take away.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:43 pm 

peregrinus wrote:
4Hour Marriage
4Hour Mastubation
Probably the funniest :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:45 pm 

peregrinus wrote:

4Hour Sleep
That 4 hour Sleep technique (if it's the same thing Ferris is promoting) is actually worth looking into. Takes a long time to get into, but some people swear by it.

I forgot to add this Morpheus - it's not original content, nor is it what it's promoted to be (no, you won't be working 4 hours a week, making millions when you're done reading the book), but it does provide solid advice that's gathered into one place and is easily applicable. For that alone, I'd download it.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 4:20 am 

You guys are right if you check out his blog it's full of impractical things. That really do appear to appeal to instant fixes.

The thing that was really eyecatching was his idea of creating a niche product, building a website and marketing it yourself. The idea of working your life and making the government, shareholders, bosses rich cannot happen.

Working really hard on something, and automating it so it does most of the work itself is so appealing.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:12 pm 

Tim Ferriss is great, love the 4-hour work week!

A wise man once said "I find that a duck's opinion of me is influenced by whether or not I have bread."

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:51 pm 

[quote="moose35"
That 4 hour Sleep technique (if it's the same thing Ferris is promoting) is actually worth looking into. Takes a long time to get into, but some people swear by it.[/quote]

It's called Yoga Nidra. There's lots of internet stuff on it.

Or for like $20 you can get a professional yoga instructor to teach you

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:53 pm 

Yeah, I have quite a few affiliate websites set up with Niche products... So far I'm doing really well. It's a lot of hard work that most wouldn't bother putting in, but all of the effort is worth it. I know I'm benefiting at the end of the day.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 6:38 am 

I got a lot of things out of it like passive income strategies and outsourcing. Like my friend above says, it's a lot of work to get it happening and not millions but it can make a very big difference. This is of course just taking the general concepts and useful parts to me, not giving a shit about the '4 hour' or overly exaggerated elements.

The outsourcing aspect is very much a state of mind -- whether you use anything specifically from that book or not, this idea of weighing your time and value vs. money. There are a lot of tedious tasks I was doing to "save money" but by paying surprisingly small amounts sometimes to hire other people to do it (we're talking digital stuff here.. website stuff, emailing, managing calenders etc) -- all that energy is used better and I end up being more productive.. and making more money than before, despite the expense.

Even little things like paying to get my apartment cleaned every so often. Unfathomable to me before.. "why should I pay if I can do it" -- but it makes me more productive when the place looks nice, I feel better, and they do a way better job then my ass would do when and IF I ever finally get around to doing it. You start to develop an awareness of how things "pay for themselves" but in the sense of what they do for your time/mind/state which WILL = money.

When using it intelligently, this has proven true for me:
The more I spend, the more I make.

I'd say this book can be useful to some -- the emphasis being on the general vibe and mindset, less on specifics or fantasy/hype.

When it comes to specifics for stuff like this, you always have to discover what works for you in the end anyway.