Natural Freedom

Forum for the natural awakening and self-realization of men
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:19 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:40 am 

Starring Michael Fassbender, Keira Knightley, Viggo Mortensen and Vincent Cassell.
[ img ]

Considering that this is an all star cast featuring proper actors, it is strange that the film's primary release date is 23 November 2011 for the US market and 10 February 2012 for the UK market.

The story is about the relationship between Freud and Jung and the invention of Psychoanalysis. This is aided through their experiences with Keira Knightley. There may be some very interesting giveaways in this film and although I haven't seen it yet, it's hard to believe that you could go wrong with a cast like that.

The film is directed by David Cronenberg and here is the trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNO3d7Czc-Q

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:57 pm 
This move is going to be awesome. I hope they don't 'hollywood' this shit up.

I've read Freud and Jung across their major works, the ones that are still considered relevant and valid in our current time, and I have reservations that they will water down theory and turn it into a total lust, lies, and sex fest.

Stay true to reality, one time, hollywood!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:11 am 

rkd1990 wrote:
Stay true to reality, one time, hollywood!
Kiera Knightley=sex

Sex=$$$

Imagine the movie, or the movie poster without her in it, it wouldn't sell, there's a good reason why she's in the front and centre.

Nevermind the sophisticated front of the film, it should be interesting though.

"Simply put, you being in her life is a BLESSING. Her wronging you in any way is her own self-inflicted CURSE, and if she does wrong you, then let the punishment fit the crime. Her life will absolutely SUCK without you."

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 5:39 pm 
Yes that is the obvious part.

Hollywood can stay true to fact and/or storyline though.

Look at Gone With the Wind and Gone with the Wind remarks.

Bad example, I despise romanticization of slavery and southern culture.

That shit was/is still brutal.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 8:20 pm 
Site Admin

David Cronenberg, that alone makes it a must see in my book

Then throw in Freud and Jung.

Somehow I feel this will be watched by me.

In building a statue, a sculptor doesn't keep adding clay to his subject.He keeps chiseling away at the inessentials until the truth of its creation is revealed without obstructions. Perfection is not when there is no more to add,but no more to take away.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 12:27 am 

I'm definitely in. :mrgreen:

Pimposophy Revisited is now finally available on Amazon in all territories!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 7:02 pm 
Site Admin

I watched this last night, was really looking forward to it.

I feel oddly underwhelmed by the experience.

Keira in my view portrays the patient very well. I was quite impressed with her performance, quite suppressed and worked well. I really cannot understand all the 'fuss' over the scenes she nearly considered skipping the role because of, I sense some playing of the media as in my view they were very tame indeed.
Jung and Freud: I feel Viggo was a bit out of place, the other one made a reasonable attempt.

The story was well done and hung on some important parts for a reasonable period of time, others were skipped over. I cannot help the feeling that the film might have benefited from being at least an hour longer, with such a depth of subject matter, some of it felt rushed over, when a more in-depth examination would have served the material more fully.

As someone who has enjoyed Cronenberg's films for many years, I feel he dropped the ball on this one.

I would recommend seeing it and making your own mind up.

EDIT: Since found out that the play this is based on is 1 hour longer, which explains my feeling.

In building a statue, a sculptor doesn't keep adding clay to his subject.He keeps chiseling away at the inessentials until the truth of its creation is revealed without obstructions. Perfection is not when there is no more to add,but no more to take away.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 9:53 am 

I have also heard that it wasn't particularly great.

I will wait until the official release date. Mortensen felt it should have been nominated for a BAFTA, which was quite interesting. The release dates for the film is very funny - the official one of which for the UK is 10 Feb.
Quote:
Jung and Freud: I feel Viggo was a bit out of place.
The role was offered to Christoph Waltz who left to do a Hollywood film.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:34 pm 

wow, nice movie, could have been longer for realz.
girl was tripping out whenever a sexual thought krept into her skull. strange enuff she enjoyed this "game" ( which I think it was for her) :mrgreen: . based on the film it seemed as if she placed herself in situations which would demand some type of physical punishment, especially by daddy. in her words, she got excited " when you hit her cunt with your stick" :lol:

she was quite astute when it came to analyzing others :shock: , yeah I know, how strange. this leads me to think that she actually was in control of what was taking place. especially since she wanted to become a "head doctor" at some point. aligning herself and attempting to win the attention of famous "shrinks" was a marvelous play on her part.

nice movie non the less. so much to, say, hope others chime in.