Natural Freedom

Forum for the natural awakening and self-realization of men
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:28 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Deep Books on Power
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 12:03 am 
If you care about understanding power then these two books are made for you. The author focuses on factual cases and well established theory about power relations. When you read these books read them for the broad concepts and how power shows itself as well as resistance to power. There is much application to women and people in general. They are dry reads and primarily academically focused, but the applications after you understand the material are endless. I had to steam these concepts because they were assigned for class, but I'm grateful that I have been able to get something out of my classes that has immediate practical use.

James C. Scott

1. Domination and the Arts of Resistance (This is very important as it focuses on language, gestures, and actions; however it doesn't read like a dumbass body language book)
2. Weapons of the weak (I'm just starting this book, but it looks promising)

Since power is integral to social interactions, I think we should turn this into a thread for books that cover this subject area very well from language to gestures and interpersonal interactions to public interactions.

Another good book that documents power:

Elias Canetti

Crowds and Power

Post subject: Re: Deep Books on Power
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 4:00 am 

Robert Greene is hands down the best author on power I have ever read, I may have to reevaluate my opinion after reading these ;) thanks man

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:11 pm 
scratch out weapons of the weak. It's bureaucratic garbage about peasants and farms. Domination and Arts of Resistance is good because of the way it talks about power and domination; however, this book doesn't dumb down the power information to situational examples very often.

Crowds and power is good if you read between the lines well. It's subtle, theoretical, and it also focuses on real situations. As a matter of fact, the theory is built from situations that Canetti saw rather than using/formulating theory to apply to situations.

Robert Greene on the 48 laws of power is good.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:58 pm 

He has 3 other books as well