Natural Freedom

Forum for the natural awakening and self-realization of men
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:00 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 3:21 am 

You mentioned in a pm how you overloaded your semesters to get your degree faster. What strategies did you use to increase how quickly you could learn things?

I'm noticing that there are gaps in my knowledge so I have to work twice as hard to fill in the gaps and learn the current material. It's making me kinda nervous.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 2:06 am 

Altair wrote:
You mentioned in a pm how you overloaded your semesters to get your degree faster. What strategies did you use to increase how quickly you could learn things?

I'm noticing that there are gaps in my knowledge so I have to work twice as hard to fill in the gaps and learn the current material. It's making me kinda nervous.
I actually kinda cheated lol...I already had a solid background in Kinesiology from my stint in the military medical corps, and since that's what my degree was in (Sports Med), my study time was decreased dramatically. :mrgreen:

Pimposophy Revisited is now finally available on Amazon in all territories!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 3:43 am 

Hmm, that was less helpful than usual haha.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 5:58 pm 

I graduated early with a 3.4 GPA from a top 10 US university with a BS in Biology (one of the 5 hardest majors statistically - based on percentage of students not passing the core classes and rates of dropping out of the major), and I really slacked off my final 1.5 years, mostly taking the minimum amount of units, or close to it. If I had kept up the pace of my first two years I might have graduated a whole year early. Plus I had a social life and didn't just hole up in my room and never have fun. In fact, I spent less time studying than probably 75% of students there across all majors.

The way I did it was to have a better memory than everyone else. There was only one class I took notes in, and that was my final (and hardest) class in college (PChem, ugh). Other than that never took notes - would just go to lecture and sit there and listen, then go back and read through the corresponding chapter once and do any problem sets. Go take the test and generally do quite well.

How does this help you? Well, most people think that their memory is a genetic thing and some people "just have better memories."

There is a bit of truth to that - I'm sure there are genetic differences in memory abilities. But really the biggest thing I think is just finding whatever you are trying to remember interesting. I really really liked learning about biology, and in general I find many many things fascinating. Thus I do not have a hard time remembering them.

This TED talk will be helpful: http://www.ted.com/talks/joshua_foer_fe ... one_can_do

"The society gives you a map; I give you only freedom. The society gives you character, I give you only consciousness. The society teaches you to live a conformist life ... I give you an invitation to go on an adventure." - Osho

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 7:17 pm 
Altair wrote:
What strategies did you use to increase how quickly you could learn things?
This is the wrong question for your immediate needs. This is good for the long term though.
Altair wrote:
^^^This is the problem and where your greatest strength can develop. I was placed in Multivariable Calculus because of the score on the AP exam, but I hadn't done a calculus related math problem in 1.5 years. Further, Multivariable Calculus at my school was past the BC exam. I only scored a 2 on the BC exam.

1. You need to learn the basic material on your own ifyou have the time.

2. You need to learn how to reverse engineer the information to teach you about other things even if you're wrong because it will lead you to the right questions. Your professors will help you more in office hours. Use those. Number two is more important than number 1 because you can get what you need to pass the course from this process if it is a self-contained field like math or science.

3. It's time for a gut check. Most college students have a sucky first semester because they have gaps. Not everyone gets the same high school education. Power through it, and you'll be better for it.

4. Remember, core courses are meant to be de-weeder courses. Do some research on your professors for next semester. You should have a faculty tracking rating system that is commercially or non commercially based, usually non-commercially.

5. Sometimes a course that seems harder may actually be easier for future choices. In college learning the degree is not linear even in Math. After your first semester in your second year the doors really open to teach you what you want to specifically know in that area.

A little history, when I returned to school to finish the second semester of my sophomore year I had a completely different mindset. Use your mindset. You're in the science and tech side. Infiltrate groups. Vet your professors when you want to take the class but aren't sure, which includes meeting with them before you sign up. Choose the symp., professors with the mentality that "everyone is savable." They will go out of their way to make sure you know the material for the sake of their own ego.

Last thing, you shouldn't worry or be nervous. Courses will always throw curveballs especially if you're going to the same school we talked about. Don't worry. You'll see the curveballs soon and will know how to deal with them. The gaps decrease overtime.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:28 pm 

Thanks for the advice guys.

And yeah Slim same school we talked about, I need to solidify my math base well if I want to get a dual degree in mathmatics/computing.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 3:48 am 

Discovered the problem, the pre calculus and calculus course I took didn't cover a lot of topics. They were certified with the government which is stupid. They never even talked about 3D algebra or matrices and like 30 other things.

I have to adjust and just take physics and geology this year and solidify any gaps in knowledge on the side. Next year I can move forward into university level mathematics.

Sucks.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 1:33 am 
You can reverse engineer if you want. It will be difficult, but dropping classes is a no no. Check your university rules. You may ONE and I mean ONE free drop.

If you have more than one, no sweat. However, top tier schools don't like having loads of people dropping classes.

I hope you didn't burn that. It's a large part of the reason why I bothered mentioning the reverse engineering.

Edit: 3d algebra and matrices sound and smell like Linear Algebra. That's some advanced course work that comes after 3d calculus, which is learned in college and only taught at the most advanced high schools. It sounds like you made a bad course selection because you wouldn't even learn linear algebra until you're a sophomore or something. It doesn't get too much more advanced after that because the numbers leave the chalk board once you're past that and combinatorics.

I guarantee that there are remedial courses you could qualify for too. Is it that you don't want to suck up your course list with that unless you see that it's absolutely necessary?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 5:56 am 

There's no academic penalty for dropping before November, I lost a bit on my refund for it but whatever.

I didn't know a lot of the review because it wasn't covered in my prep course. Just taking a part time course load this semester and working through the prep stuff with a better course.

They don't care I don't think, I'm getting a full degree and possibly a masters. They'll get their moneys worth out of me lol.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 1:55 am 
It sounds like you haven't looked at the school policy. I would have a look at that just so you know how to bend the rules.

I know I wish I had looked at the school policy to know how to bend their rules when I was going. It only mattered for one year, but that year had more ups and downs than it should have.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 3:19 am 

I read the website before I did anything. I also have a contact that works there.

I applied for an arts degree and now I am in the science department. I never enrolled in a single arts course :lol: . Learning so much about philosophy in physics and geology :mrgreen: I'm bending the rules pretty well. I wouldn't know any of this stuff without said contact though.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 4:53 am 

Just to add,

Go to the professors office hours outside of class. A) They will love you because it shows you actually care and, B) with your observational skills, they will inevitably drop hints of what they 'believe' is important i.e. what will be on the exam.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 7:01 am 

StephenP wrote:
Just to add,

Go to the professors office hours outside of class. A) They will love you because it shows you actually care and, B) with your observational skills, they will inevitably drop hints of what they 'believe' is important i.e. what will be on the exam.
Excellent idea.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 6:40 pm 
StephenP wrote:
Just to add,

SECONDED.

I even think I told you something to this effect before. When I wasn't in a position to complete my work in its entirety, my professors literally told me I didn't have to do some of the work just because I met with each of them ONCE a week and had a running appointment. I was one of the few students consistently on their schedule.

At their core, they're lonely. Once a week is good enough to give them a taste of companionship and camaraderie. I only met them for an hour at the most. If you meet for the right ratio and time they will offer to treat you to lunch or dinner. They'll write it off on the school too as a working lunch or dinner. Everyone wins. Take the kickbacks.

Even worse, people in that profession tend to love predictability. That's why so many of them are married and dislike students that upend their entire philosophy on life. Having the running appointment for your classes will pay in spades because you exploit those two critical flaws in their ego.

They'll give you more than just important the stuff to know. They'll give you the road-map to making the highest grade in the class even if you turn in sub-par work (the caveat is that it must be a project or paper, not a test).

Often the difference in grade at top universities like yours is the student that showed the most initiative, unless you are taking factual tests. They can however move you up a fraction of a grade at their will with discretion because it's within their right.