Natural Freedom

Forum for the natural awakening and self-realization of men
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:04 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:34 pm 

zogler, using the marathon/sprinter analogy you posted - one is different and incomparable to the other, but wouldnt a decathlete be "the most fit"? That´s how I always saw IQ tests, a broad spectrum that covers a wide range of intelligence (associatons, spotting patterns both numerical and geometrical, etc).

Altair, I fully agree with the statement can be a powerful tool. Using it healthily and knowing its motivations and workings as necessary precursors to obtaining that ability are why that doesńt happen too often, imo.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:17 am 
Site Admin

Nice post zogler

In building a statue, a sculptor doesn't keep adding clay to his subject.He keeps chiseling away at the inessentials until the truth of its creation is revealed without obstructions. Perfection is not when there is no more to add,but no more to take away.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 7:08 pm 

Altair wrote:
How big of a role to do you think IQ plays in success?

IQ doesn't play a big role in being "successful" with women. Men and women got together way before the word was created and the meaning was given. Men and women got together way before the word "man" and "women" was created and the meaning given.

A male tiger doesn't know he's a male tiger. He just knows.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:06 pm 

.....I couldn't give two fucks what would make me "successful" with women. :|

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 10:49 pm 
Site Admin

DMD wrote:
Altair wrote:
IQ doesn't play a big role in being "successful" with women.
Hmm, cough cough

How did this suddenly become about women? And how on earth did the original question have anything to do with that?

DMD?

In building a statue, a sculptor doesn't keep adding clay to his subject.He keeps chiseling away at the inessentials until the truth of its creation is revealed without obstructions. Perfection is not when there is no more to add,but no more to take away.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:20 am 

If you want to create something, then you'll have to experiment - irregardless of results.

IQ is wholly irrelevant.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:00 am 

I've taken a handful of IQ tests and always scored between 140 and 150.

What does scoring "well" on an IQ test mean?

It means you're good a taking a particular type of test. No more, no less. Genius is not declared by a test.

"Stupid is as stupid does." - Forrest Gump

"Genius is as genius does." - Meraki

"The society gives you a map; I give you only freedom. The society gives you character, I give you only consciousness. The society teaches you to live a conformist life ... I give you an invitation to go on an adventure." - Osho

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 4:00 pm 

What is interesting is how some people have whatever it is that allow them to cut against the grain and see things outside the box. Whereas a lot of genius level IQs couldn't do what we do.

I do respect logic based IQ tests though, based on puzzle solving or pattern recognition. The ability to see logical rules and intuit the next step is invaluable. Regardless of what anyone tells me.

A car can be improved for example but the person with the most raw horsepower that utilizes it to it's maximum will always beat someone that tries just has hard but has less mental ability.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:43 pm 

Quote:
The ability to see logical rules and intuit the next step is invaluable.
Only if it allows you to DO something.

If you just see rules and next steps and then sit there on your ass like a beached whale, then all that genius ain't worth much.

Externally verifiable results are what is important. Those require action of some sort.

"The society gives you a map; I give you only freedom. The society gives you character, I give you only consciousness. The society teaches you to live a conformist life ... I give you an invitation to go on an adventure." - Osho

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 1:03 pm 

Valid point

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:32 am 

;) 8-)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 7:35 am 
Site Admin

Meraki wrote:
Quote:

If you just see rules and next steps and then sit there on your ass like a beached whale, then all that genius ain't worth much.

Externally verifiable results are what is important. Those require action of some sort.
I like this.

I've trained boxing like during 9 months /mon to fry 2 hrs no skipping/., dropped like 49 lbs, grabbed a good boxing skill level, very technical, then I never fought anynone worth my time and size. Got overweight again, and stopped training... Vivid example :lol:
So it was just like I incremented by 50 my fighting IQ level and never used it. So the externally verifiable result was inexistent to my behalf. Now I the only thing that I aspire is that train people to do their best, along with the mentallity you guys share here, I know I will forge one or two champions perhaps, or maybe do a boxing v.2 for myself. And drop twice the fat, grab cuadruple the skills and do something of action...

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 5:52 am 
Just came back to this thread.

Without quoting, I agree with Zogler wholeheartedly. You bothered to add scientific research to back your claims. I didn't see much of a need to do that because of the moral implications and psychological implications of a test that screams "Idealized Supremacy." Either way, the truth about I.Q. tests has been exposed.
Meraki wrote:
Quote:

Murrraaaakiiiii, you know full well that most logical discoveries are useless until a relevant and equally useless logical discovery is made.

Leonardo Da Vinci or one of the other guys from that era used to cut up up cadavers and draw hearts and knew how the circulatory system worked. However, it wasn't until the 20th century when an equally useless discovery of penicillin (not really just good bacteria) and ventilators were made that knowing the circulatory system meant something life saving, such as the first open heart surgery. :)

Edit: So, I would contend that logical discoveries are useful. Kurt Goedel did wonders for math as a logician. Math has done wonders for society. Although, I would contend that society might be better if we actually internalized techniques of knowledge like the Egyptians rather than externalize them like the past 400 years of western society.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 4:27 pm 

peregrinus wrote:
DMD wrote:
Altair wrote:
IQ doesn't play a big role in being "successful" with women.
Hmm, cough cough

How did this suddenly become about women? And how on earth did the original question have anything to do with that?

DMD?
The question didn’t specify the domain in one wants to be successful at, so I chosed the first one that came to mind and it also happens to be in my total control.

I also know that my father has a very high IQ, but my mother doesn’t respect that and also his superior has a low IQ, but makes twice as much as my father. Despite the high IQ, he isn't succesful. It also came to mind a bodybuilder that I know that is not so bright, but he won prizes and now he owns a suppliments store.

So I strongly believe that success has nothing to do with IQ. It has to do with hard work, passion for one's work, clear vision, daily discipline, belief and taking risks.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:02 pm 

DMD wrote:

So I strongly believe that success has nothing to do with IQ. It has to do with hard work, passion for one's work, clear vision, daily discipline, belief and taking risks.
Risk is less risky than the Status Quo.

If you are in a business, your only job is to
make your customers successful.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 1:27 am 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genetic_Studies_of_Genius

I will look for some other studies I have heard of but iq and success are not correlated as well as most people think.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 9:24 pm 

Real interesting thread!

Thanks for providing the links zogler.

Reading this thread and the links made me rethink my view on staying away from video games, the use of "brain training games" and other things (matrix conditioning, boxes, ...).

I liked these quotes from the links zogler provided:
Quote:
Some of the most interesting results were those where there was little relationship between lifestyle and intelligence.
Quote:
The brain is a chemical machine containing in the order of 100 billion neurons and 100 trillion synapses. How could we think we could reduce the workings of the most complex known object in the universe to a solitary number?
In regards to 'brain training' wrote:
Owen said people wanting to stretch their brains would do better to read a book, learn another language or learn to play a musical instrument.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 4:13 pm 

bliss wrote:
In regards to 'brain training' wrote:
Owen said people wanting to stretch their brains would do better to read a book, learn another language or learn to play a musical instrument.
7 Hobbies Science Says Will Make You Smarter

http://www.entrepreneur.com/article/249752

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 6:49 pm 

Jared wrote:
7 Hobbies Science Says Will Make You Smarter

http://www.entrepreneur.com/article/249752
Thanks for the informative link.

Smart people learn from their mistakes. Smarter people learn from others' mistakes. Stupid people don't learn from anyone's mistakes including their own.

You get what you deserve.

[ img ]

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 7:07 pm 

God I enjoyed Meraki's responses here.