Natural Freedom

Forum for the natural awakening and self-realization of men
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:19 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: A Riddle
PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 2:12 am 

A ball and a baseball bat cost $1.10. The bat costs $1 more than the baseball. How much does the baseball cost?

Post subject: Re: A Riddle
PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 2:53 am 
Site Admin

I used algebra and it's easy as fuck. :d
Whenever I see this kind of trap shit I use mathematics and I don't assume anything.

a+b=1.10
b mayor than 1+a
a+1+a=1.10
2a+1=1.10
2a=1.10-1
a=.10/2
a=0.05 cents

there you go :D

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 9:14 am 

Lol, I used that as well.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 12:24 am 

Whhatt? Not, 10 cents?

Edit: Ah, I see it now :oops:

3Hearingstoriesabouttheirgrandparents,madethesonsintogreatsons.Allgreatheroesadoredheroeswhotheyregardedas 13xGreater thanthemselves-theGreatBeingsoftheFuturesPast-totheirlastbreath. :geek:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 12:56 am 

It was on a podcast about biohacking and raising your intelligence/reasoning abilities. What's interesting is the host asked the guest that and he paused for like half a second and said the answer without doing the algebra.

Assuming it wasn't scripted. I doubt it was because he has a PhD from Stanford. That's impressive.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 3:27 am 

Altair wrote:
It was on a podcast about biohacking and raising your intelligence/reasoning abilities. What's interesting is the host asked the guest that and he paused for like half a second and said the answer without doing the algebra.

Assuming it wasn't scripted. I doubt it was because he has a PhD from Stanford. That's impressive.
What makes it easy, though, is the straightforward numbers and two easy equations. You just divide 10 cents with 2, to keep the difference.

3Hearingstoriesabouttheirgrandparents,madethesonsintogreatsons.Allgreatheroesadoredheroeswhotheyregardedas 13xGreater thanthemselves-theGreatBeingsoftheFuturesPast-totheirlastbreath. :geek:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 4:34 am 
Site Admin

The GK2 wrote:
Altair wrote:

What makes it easy, though, is the straightforward numbers and two easy equations. You just divide 10 cents with 2, to keep the difference.
Algebra makes it more clear :D

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 2:45 pm 

Dali wrote:
The GK2 wrote:
Altair wrote:

Algebra makes it more clear :D
It sure does ;) Algebra is logic, and logic is the training wheels for intuition (Kidd).

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 3:10 pm 

Interesting - reading that one and seeing the price/money in my mind ("if it costs $1 more and ends up $1.10, it would have to be $0.05 because $1.05 + 0.5 = 1.10) just came up like that. However when I look at the algebra, I haven't done a math equation like that in so long that my brain reacts like it is reading Greek.

Funny how different minds work. That one seemed super quick and straight forward to me because of the description, but if you gave me an algebra equation directly I'd probably stare at the screen for 10 minutes. 10 years ago I'd have been all over it.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 5:16 pm 

Flow83 wrote:
Interesting - reading that one and seeing the price/money in my mind ("if it costs $1 more and ends up $1.10, it would have to be $0.05 because $1.05 + 0.5 = 1.10) just came up like that.
=1.55 :roll:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 8:44 pm 

Hahah - 0.05

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 9:37 pm 
I thought it was a trick question and the baseball was free. It's actually nearly free.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 9:41 pm 

I'm with Flow. Looking at it, you know it's going to be a trick puzzle so you think about it a bit and just count it in your head. No algebra needed (actually seems more complicated to me that way).

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 11:18 pm 

I doubt I could do the algebra anymore if you asked me :lol:
Just happened to be something my brain could easily picture with the dollar and two nickles involved.

The funny part is I used to be way into math and was quite good at it. If I were to look at notebooks in my own handwriting from years ago I would have no idea what the hell was going on.

It's similar with programming. I saw some stuff I made in highschool and it's hard to believe that at one point I knew how to do that, because it looks like a foreign language to me now.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 7:03 am 

If it takes 5 machines 5 minute to make 5 widgets. How long does it take 100 machines to make 100 widgets?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 7:13 am 

Altair wrote:
If it takes 5 machines 5 minute to make 5 widgets. How long does it take 100 machines to make 100 widgets?
Another one where the mind drew the picture of what was happening and gets 5 minutes. Just don't ask me to show the proper algebra / formulas to prove it if all checks out :)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 7:57 am 
Site Admin

Flow83 you already see mathematical code automatically in your head. I have to do the math :D
It would be 5 mins.

Explanation :
you can use it in any time and work problem : lets number of machines be m , time be t and number of widgets be w; now as you can see, the
number of widgets prepared ( w) will be directly proportioal to m * t

so w = m * t * C( constant )
or C(constant)= w/(m*t)

now m1*t1/w1 = m2*t2/w2

m1,t1,w1=5 and m2, w2=100 = > t2=5 mins 
Response by: saandeepan, from gmat club forums.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 7:45 pm 

Yeah I had to figure it out with logic too lol. They cancel each other otherwise.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 10:16 pm 

This one is pretty tough. I didn't actually get it I got the first part though.

Albert and Bernard just became friends with Cheryl, and they want to know when her birthday is. Cheryl gives them a list of 10 possible dates.

May 15, May 16, May 19

June 17, June 18

July 14, July 16

August 14, August 15, August 17

Cheryl then tells Albert and Bernard separately the month and the day of her birthday respectively.

Albert: I don’t know when Cheryl’s birthday is, but I know that Bernard does not know too.

Bernard: At first I don’t know when Cheryl’s birthday is, but I know now.

Albert: Then I also know when Cheryl’s birthday is.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 11:32 pm 

I think the answer is July 16.

Albert knows the month, and Bernard knows the day.

Albert says, "I don’t know when Cheryl’s birthday is, but I know that Bernard does not know too." If the day is 19 or 18, Bernard would know the month automatically (May if 19 and June if 18), but Albert knows that Bernard does not know. So this rules out May and June.

So this brings it down to July or August. Bernard says, "At first I don’t know when Cheryl’s birthday is, but I know now." If the day was 14, then Bernard would not have known since there are July 14 and August 14.

The remaining choices are July 16, August 15, and August 17. Albert says, "Then I also know when Cheryl’s birthday is." If the day was 15 or 17, Bernard would not have been able to figure it out, so the month is clearly July. Since July 14 was ruled out earlier, the answer is July 16.