Natural Freedom

Forum for the natural awakening and self-realization of men
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:13 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 5:43 pm 

Sorry for Non-francophiles (who don't understand french), but this man IS a legend, and WAS genius... And this interview is exceptional.

Wiki : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jacques_Brel
Quote:
Jacques Brel (French pronunciation: ​[ʒak bʁɛl]; 8 April 1929 – 9 October 1978) was a Belgian singer-songwriter who composed and performed literate, thoughtful, and theatrical songs that generated a large, devoted following in Belgium and France initially, and later throughout the world. He was widely considered a master of the modern chanson.[1]
Full 30 minutes FRENCH ONLY Interview (BUT you can watch this man's face, eyes, demeanor, ... even if you don't understand the words) : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZxFB9nVSsQ8

I found 1 minute bits with english subtitles :

Jacques Brel talks about fear [english subtitles] : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCCV6ZllZAM

Jacques Brel talks about idleness [english subtitles] : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7OB0BiUxKSw

Jacques Brel on achieving one's dreams [english subtitles] : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3am8J2AngI

I will translate some parts that come as I rewatch this.

[interviewer said that "to piss" was vulgar] Brel - What I find vulgar is : two people in love, and the father of the girl goes to see the father of the guy asking how much his son makes (40 years later, women ask that same question directly, right Leo ? :lol: :roll: )

"You have to assume your condition, or really change it"

"I believe that a man spends his life to compensate his childhood. I'll explain. I believe a man is mature at 16-17, a man has all his dreams in himself, he doesn't know them, yet they're inside him. He knows if he wants brilliance or security, adventure. He knows. Not particularly well, but he knows. And he spends the rest of his life to pursue these very dreams. I believe at 17 man is dead, or can die."

"And at 20, I didn't know that. Now at 40 I know. Maybe at 60 I'll discover something else."

"I believe I know that men are nomad, ..., they are made to go out, males, and I believe by essence woman stops him. So a man stops near a woman, and the woman wants to lay an egg, always, EVERY woman in the world wants to lay an egg and I understand that. And she lays the egg. So the man is nice, he calculates / reckons infinitly less than the woman. I don't say the woman is bad, I say that man is dumb. That's what I say. And man stays near the egg, and it needs hay, so we go seek hay. And one day it rains, so he goes to seek hay to make a roof ... and after he stays"

"And man is a nomad, and all his life mann I think, desires to beat it and seeks adventure ... and men are only unhappy to the extent that they don't accept / assume their dreams. While woman has a dream. It's to keep the man. It's not malicious, it's an enemy (no animosity in his voice at all, it's at 12 minutes mark :mrgreen: ), it's a wonderful enemy. If all my enemies were naked, I would love them all"

around 17 minutes : "Women is work. Or we are the guy that chases the woman. That doesn't amuse me at all. I believe I love love too much to love woman that much. A man will say I'm gay which is false, but women are always below love, the dream. And as I am romantic enough, or sentimental, woman is a bit off of love. The dream I have of it. But I have not understood that much women."

"We were raised with the idea of falling in love with a woman, having children and a sweet home, with garden, ... and that's what we've been put in our head, and it's abominable."

"I can't help but never be unhappy, it may be a health problem you know. When I get asked if I'm content, happy, I answer that I'm glad that it proves an imbecile can be happy. And it's true."

What feeling do you respect most ? "We don't talk about love right ? It's fidelity ! It's certainly fidelity. But fidelity between some men with other men, it moves me to tears. I find it beautiful, noble, it's very superior to all other feelings."

"I believe that when we really want to do something we have to dive/plunge like a madman and do it, even if you make mistakes. I prefer to be mistaken but to dive."

" There is a common denominator in man, that is tenderness. A man who isn't tender is not a man. A man who doesn't cry, doesn't exist."

"It's funny but when I think about the word tenderness, I think of men. With women we have passion, patience, and remorse, I think, to be honest. But tenderness applies far more to men. Because tenderness is an egalitarian game. Between two equal poles."

In another interview, about women :

"I am not a misogyynist, really."
"Women were given the tools to live equally, but continue to live off hundred year old conceptions."
"They were to be sold before, now they're not anymore that's true, but they can still be rented a little."
"Between marrying a girl and selling a cow, I never saw a difference."
"That's the opposite of love, all that, isn't it ? And personally I'm for love, for tenderness. I'm very dumb, I have to say."

He even made a song : Les Biches (roe deers)
Quote:
The roe deer

They are our first enemy
When they laughingly escape
From the pasture of boredom
The roe deer
With eyelashes like hair
Hair like (?)
And only the tip of their eyes
Cheats
So much so that the hunter stops
And I know they turned hurricanes
Into poets
The roe deer
Whether we try to cast them away from our mind
Or we blush when they hunt us
They are our first enemy
Fifteen year old roe deer

They are our prettiest enemy
When they shine as flowers
And taste like fruit
The roe deer
That strut and show off their virtue
Whereas they cheat with their whole heart
Whereas they cheat with their whole body
When they nibble their husband
Or they take a bite at diamonds
On the blue asphalt of Paris
The roe deer
Whether we hunt them with rubies
Or they hunt us with our feelings
They are our prettiest enemy
The twenty year old roe deer

They are our archenemy
When they know how powerful they are
Let them know they are on borrowed time
The roe deer
When a hunter is a stroke of luck
When their beauty wakes up late
When they use all their knowledge
To cheat
Fooling boredom more than the stag
And one lover with another lover
Who is pleased with himself
Whether we hunt them to madness
Or they hunt us with the tip of their gloves
They are our archenemy
The more than 20 year old roe deer

They are our final enemy
When their bosom drop off to sleep
For they stayed awake too many a night
The roe deer
When they drag their feet uncomplaining
Like pilgrims on their way back home
When they cheat with all their past
In order for us to stay
At that time our only use
Is to help them stop growing old
The roe deer
Whether they hunt us because it is time to
They remain our final enemy
The too many year old roe deer

Commentaries:

A beautiful text in French, a metaphor between the animal and women (biche means beautiful girl in Belgian slang).
See marquee Value in the song :ugeek: I told you, brilliant man. :ugeek: :ugeek: