Natural Freedom

Forum for the natural awakening and self-realization of men
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:56 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:26 am 

Olivier de Kersauson wiki : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olivier_de_Kersauson

I figure at least Grinus would like it, others should enjoy it too.

http://www.ybw.com/forums/archive/index ... 54078.html
Quote:
The following was an article I found on the net and gives useful background to recent discussions on the hardships of ocean racing. The article was some time ago and before Ellen's RTW.

(free translation)

<< Olivier is intractable with his team-members: "When racing I become frankly inhuman", but he never loses his calm, seldom wastes his saliva: the stormy explanations always take place later. "Even in a crisis situation, there is always a favorable moment to act"

He hates conversation during watches, which lead to inattention: the helmsman has orders not to speak, not to smoke, not to take coffee "a man cannot do two things well at the same time".

Safety is a constant preoccupation; the "least distraction on a boat can lead to a catastrophe" to such an extent that he forbids crew to wear gloves: ""Suppose that during a manoeuver you lose one of them. The hand, suddenly exposed to the cold, becomes stiff and unusable. Outside on a boat, it is necessary to have both hands working: one for the man, the other for the boat "... I am an order maniac, I do not accept shortcuts. They can be dangerous! "

For him errors are always human "someone who falls overboard means that his place was not on board", His overboard procedure is : "So somebody, is in the water. 1), throw him a rope, preferably not in his face. 2), as soon as he has grabbed it, he should be carefully brought alongside. 3) ask him – Where’s your cash? 4), as soon as he tells you, let the rope go - it would not be nice to leave him there without anything. 5), enter his name in the book of the punishments ".

OdK explains the use of inflatable rafts as follows: "When you are inside, it is a good life. You have all you need to survive: a Bible, a pot of rillettes, a signed photograph of Moitessier as a baby, a map of Pigalle and a cassette which repeats: hold on, hold on... "

To those which say to him "I think that..." he answers "You are not here to think"

In action, on deck, he hustles crew-members who do not act quickly enough, replaces them, works like a charging buffalo does not concede an inch, accomplishing a devilish workload; he has same wild courage as those pitiless owners who commanded the sailing ships in times past. On board there is only one master: him.

One day, perhaps the only one during his career, he offered a choice to his crew: "You will vote, either the first solution, or the second. Reflect, but quickly. I want the result of the poll in five minutes. Take advantage of it, it will be the only time where you will vote during this trip... Ah! I forgot a detail: it is not certain I will take account of the result! "(which is what happened).

A team-member who listened to a cassette of Vivaldi still remembers the intervention of the owner: "I don’t want to hear this guy any more, not Beethoven, not Mozart, not Stivell, chuck all that into the sea. I did not work all my life to have a boat transformed into house of culture or a caravan, and the ocean is not a campsite! "

He justifies his approach as follows: "On a boat, only an enlightened dictatorship gives positive results. If you do not understand that the race is a sprint of more than two months, if you do not understand that in racing, only the race counts, then that proves you do not merit your place on board "

Olivier de Kersauson is not ready to accept a woman on board but he does recognize the qualities of (some) of the better of them: "There are never women on my boats, it is a question of the ratio of muscle to mass: 15 women equal the weight of 11 men. I like women, much more than you undoubtedly can imagine. I do not want to add sexual undertones to all the other concerns on board. I would have a lot of problems sailing and having to keep my eye on the women"

"There are some women who are exceptional sailors: Florence Arthaud has true marine genius; there are not many guys able to do what she did. Karine Fauconnier in the upcoming generation has something extraordinary "

He knows how to share his love of the sea: "To watch the sea, it is to stroll through time, it is never monotonous. When I go up on deck, I have the feeling of being a shepherd who watches his herd of waves "

At sea, all is different, the rest of the world disappears, the concept of time is deformed, "At sea, loneliness is the surest partner of the navigator. It drives out the dreams, makes illusions fall and, magnifying all with a pitiless acuity, it draws you into a voyage within yourself - to one’s utmost limits which can be most revealing. When you spend a month at sea, you only realize that you have left when you return".

The sea is his life: “ I have always been ready to die for sailing. Others are content to live for it.”

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:04 am 
Site Admin

[ img ]

Marquee Value!! :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:14 am 

:lol: I spared his views on women, but it is spicy, and quite fitting here too :mrgreen:

Funny how synchronicities work, this photo lead me to a beautiful article published : 1 hour ago :ugeek: (and the magazine is from this week, downloading it right now)

Edit while I can : IT IS (the complete article on Paris Match) a wonderful article on him (his life, beliefs, ...).
I'll check in the future weeks if I can find a translation, or put some quotes.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 5:36 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
The sea is his life: “ I have always been ready to die for sailing. Others are content to live for it.”
Beautiful.

Nice enjoyable read, will have to find some time and read the full article.

In building a statue, a sculptor doesn't keep adding clay to his subject.He keeps chiseling away at the inessentials until the truth of its creation is revealed without obstructions. Perfection is not when there is no more to add,but no more to take away.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:36 pm 
Site Admin

GoldenBoy wrote:
:lol: I spared his views on women, but it is spicy, and quite fitting here too :mrgreen:

Funny how synchronicities work, this photo lead me to a beautiful article published : 1 hour ago :ugeek: (and the magazine is from this week, downloading it right now)

Edit while I can : IT IS (the complete article on Paris Match) a wonderful article on him (his life, beliefs, ...).
I'll check in the future weeks if I can find a translation, or put some quotes.
I knew you could trace back the magazine that's why I put the image (I regurarly visit and dl from avax).
Sadly I do not know much french. But in due time I will learn some of it.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:32 pm 

Grinus you speak some french ?

I think I will translate it, but sadly I won't do a scanlation (meaning not the images).

I'll probably scan it with Character Recognition, then google translate it and correct it to be more meaningful, and also put the french version for the images.

Can't do it until saturday though.

Well, you'll see.

He's 69 btw, but no clue how old she is (though she looks -50, even around 40)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:30 pm 

GoldenBoy wrote:

it draws you into a voyage within yourself - to one’s utmost limits which can be most revealing. When you spend a month at sea, you only realize that you have left when you return".
Limits. Hmm...

The Universal Law of Forced Efficiency;

"You can find out how far you can go ONLY by
going too far."

"You can discover how much you can do ONLY by
trying to do too much."

Now think this in different contexts or areas in your life...