Natural Freedom

Forum for the natural awakening and self-realization of men
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:37 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 5:03 pm 

We were talking about meditation as something that could be useful for Moose over here: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3213&start=40#p31632

And I figured it might be useful for other people too to know about the different types of yogic meditation. (Disclaimer: This is just one way to look at meditation, no more true or perfect than any other model.)

I'd bet a lot of the people on this board will resonate with the Jnana path, which is the path of inquiry and wisdom, but if you've tried Jnana style meditation and it doesn't seem to resonate with you, maybe one of the other paths would.

Here's the most approachable summary of the 8 types of yoga meditation that Flow mentioned. Website is janky, but info is good. http://www.yogaworld.org/yogas.htm

Basically the kind of meditation that has been talked about most on this forum (simple body awareness) would most likely fall into the Jnana path, which is the path of inquiry and wisdom. However, there are other types of meditation too.

People who are deeply religious, for example, would probably feel more resonance with the Bhakti path, which is the path of devotion, and giving yourself and your egoic desires over to some type of "god".

I know a guy who was framed for the murder of his girlfriend and spent 7 years in prison before his appeal was heard and he was exonerated, and the detective who framed him has since been convicted of obstruction of justic, and all he did for the 7 years he was in prison was practice the Hatha path (which is was people typically think of when they think of "yoga"). Dude is amazingly peaceful and content for a guy who lost 7 years of his life to a prison cell, but if you ask him to talk about it, he can't really put words to his experience of doing yoga. He's clearly a different dude when he's doing his Hatha yoga, and that is obviously his path.

Some people resonate with Karma yoga, which is the path of selfless action in everyday life.

And, of course, you can practice multiple types of meditation at once. So maybe you sit down every morning for 20 minutes and practice zen style meditation or simple body awareness (Jnana), but then you go to work and at work you practice Karma yoga, and then after you get off work, you go to a Hatha yoga class and do that for an hour.

Anyway, maybe people have insight to add about the different yogic meditation paths?

"The society gives you a map; I give you only freedom. The society gives you character, I give you only consciousness. The society teaches you to live a conformist life ... I give you an invitation to go on an adventure." - Osho

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 5:26 pm 

Good topic.

It helps cut through bs 'arguments' about whether what we call inner work is the one answer, or outer work, etc. One guy says meditate or sort through issues, another says "dude, just get out there and talk to chicks/climb the mountain/go for the job interview and face your fears directly" -- they are not conflicting ideologies but all different aspects of the same path.

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 6:58 pm 

NetiNeti meditation seems promising for me.. Jnana altogether seems so
Will give it a few goes and see what happens, thanks for sharing