Forum for the natural awakening and self-realization of men
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:42 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: People simply empty out
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 9:13 pm 
Site Admin

http://www.lettersofnote.com/2012/10/pe ... y-out.html
Quote:
In 1969, publisher John Martin offered to pay Charles Bukowski $100 each and every month for the rest of his life, on one condition: that he quit his job at the post office and become a writer. 49-year-old Bukowski did just that, and in 1971 his first novel, Post Office, was published by Martin's Black Sparrow Press.

15 years later, Bukowski wrote the following letter to Martin and spoke of his joy at having escaped full time employment.

(Source: Reach for the Sun Vol. 3; Image: Charles Bukowski, via.)

=========================

8-12-86

Hello John:

Thanks for the good letter. I don't think it hurts, sometimes, to remember where you came from. You know the places where I came from. Even the people who try to write about that or make films about it, they don't get it right. They call it "9 to 5." It's never 9 to 5, there's no free lunch break at those places, in fact, at many of them in order to keep your job you don't take lunch. Then there's OVERTIME and the books never seem to get the overtime right and if you complain about that, there's another sucker to take your place.

You know my old saying, "Slavery was never abolished, it was only extended to include all the colors."

And what hurts is the steadily diminishing humanity of those fighting to hold jobs they don't want but fear the alternative worse. People simply empty out. They are bodies with fearful and obedient minds. The color leaves the eye. The voice becomes ugly. And the body. The hair. The fingernails. The shoes. Everything does.

As a young man I could not believe that people could give their lives over to those conditions. As an old man, I still can't believe it. What do they do it for? Sex? TV? An automobile on monthly payments? Or children? Children who are just going to do the same things that they did?

Early on, when I was quite young and going from job to job I was foolish enough to sometimes speak to my fellow workers: "Hey, the boss can come in here at any moment and lay all of us off, just like that, don't you realize that?"

They would just look at me. I was posing something that they didn't want to enter their minds.

Now in industry, there are vast layoffs (steel mills dead, technical changes in other factors of the work place). They are layed off by the hundreds of thousands and their faces are stunned:

"I put in 35 years..."

"It ain't right..."

"I don't know what to do..."

They never pay the slaves enough so they can get free, just enough so they can stay alive and come back to work. I could see all this. Why couldn't they? I figured the park bench was just as good or being a barfly was just as good. Why not get there first before they put me there? Why wait?

I just wrote in disgust against it all, it was a relief to get the shit out of my system. And now that I'm here, a so-called professional writer, after giving the first 50 years away, I've found out that there are other disgusts beyond the system.

I remember once, working as a packer in this lighting fixture company, one of the packers suddenly said: "I'll never be free!"

One of the bosses was walking by (his name was Morrie) and he let out this delicious cackle of a laugh, enjoying the fact that this fellow was trapped for life.

So, the luck I finally had in getting out of those places, no matter how long it took, has given me a kind of joy, the jolly joy of the miracle. I now write from an old mind and an old body, long beyond the time when most men would ever think of continuing such a thing, but since I started so late I owe it to myself to continue, and when the words begin to falter and I must be helped up stairways and I can no longer tell a bluebird from a paperclip, I still feel that something in me is going to remember (no matter how far I'm gone) how I've come through the murder and the mess and the moil, to at least a generous way to die.

To not to have entirely wasted one's life seems to be a worthy accomplishment, if only for myself.

yr boy,

Hank

In building a statue, a sculptor doesn't keep adding clay to his subject.He keeps chiseling away at the inessentials until the truth of its creation is revealed without obstructions. Perfection is not when there is no more to add,but no more to take away.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 9:26 pm 

I've been thinking about this a lot
This old man pointed the problem very well.. But there's not real solution in his text
What really makes me emotional, are questions:
What I am to do to help myself with this ?
What I am to do to help others with this ?
(Also Does anybody even want help ?)
And the fact that I don't really know
:|

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 9:55 pm 

:ugeek: brilliant.

@fufe, there is the answer in the text, YOU KNOW IT TOO.
Quote:
I could see all this. Why couldn't they?
Quote:
So, the luck I finally had in getting out of those places, no matter how long it took, has given me a kind of joy, the jolly joy of the miracle. I now write from an old mind and an old body, long beyond the time when most men would ever think of continuing such a thing, but since I started so late I owe it to myself to continue, and when the words begin to falter and I must be helped up stairways and I can no longer tell a bluebird from a paperclip, I still feel that something in me is going to remember (no matter how far I'm gone) how I've come through the murder and the mess and the moil, to at least a generous way to die.
Quote:
To not to have entirely wasted one's life seems to be a worthy accomplishment, if only for myself.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:02 pm 

Well, sure, the freedom is better but.. How am I to feed myself ?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:10 pm 

Whaddya doin here? Go build some muscle! :mrgreen:

Pimposophy Revisited is now finally available on Amazon in all territories!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:40 am 

Great Find Peregrinus This really resonates with me right now I haven't been able to focus on myself at all because of this very thing I'm going through right now.
Quote:
You know my old saying, "Slavery was never abolished, it was only extended to include all the colors."
This is very relevant in America in my job I hear people everyday talking about how stressed they are, how little time theay have to anything outside of brushing their teeth and taking a shower. :oops: Unfortunately there are times I can barely get this in myself thats how much I work.

But unlike the rest of these suckers I am finding ways to fade up out of this I want to experience life now while I'm still in my prime.
Quote:

And what hurts is the steadily diminishing humanity of those fighting to hold jobs they don't want but fear the alternative worse. People simply empty out. They are bodies with fearful and obedient minds. The color leaves the eye. The voice becomes ugly. And the body. The hair. The fingernails. The shoes. Everything does.
This is quite painful actually but also very motivating I am saving up capital towards my freedom once I handle this other B.S. that needs my attention.

Quote:
As a young man I could not believe that people could give their lives over to those conditions. As an old man, I still can't believe it. What do they do it for? Sex? TV? An automobile on monthly payments? Or children? Children who are just going to do the same things that they did?
You know what and this is why I'm in the position I am right now because I had no direction and I had no idea what I wanted to do. Like you Peregrinus there were things on a total gut level about all of this that just didn't sit right with me, unlike you I choose to ignore it and suffer. (except I have no kids :mrgreen:)
Quote:

They never pay the slaves enough so they can get free, just enough so they can stay alive and come back to work.

I also agree to this my paychecks are just that enough to stay alive :evil:
Quote:
I would agree to this if not for my recent changes, now I feel like this is all a game and I just need some patience and keep priorities straight and soon things will take off. 8-) I will be reading this every week to keep it fresh in my head this article goes very well with my new signature ;) :arrow: :twisted:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:22 am 

Regardless of all the truth about work slavery, there are far worse jobs out there than the 9-5 in the office. There are some jobs that have no human contact, erratic hours and inadequate work space provision.

Be careful what you get philosophical about.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:32 am 

Scarf wrote:
Regardless of all the truth about work slavery, there are far worse jobs out there than the 9-5 in the office. There are some jobs that have no human contact, erratic hours and inadequate work space provision.

Indeed, most of us must start out working for someone else. The choice to stay or create something yourself is up to you.

My compliance with work rules and regulations isn't reflective of a broken spirit. I want my superiors to think I am docile and easy to control. I'm ever planning and strategizing my future.

You are a courtier and the workplace is your court. 8-)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:16 am 

That reminded me of something... 6 years ago i went abroad to earn some money, I wanted to buy a notebook (I know it may sound funny to people from the west but that's how the things are here;). So, I was working at a huge bakery in Belfast, mostly on the production line. It wasn't a hard job physically, however after like one week of doing exactly same moves thousands time a day I felt completely mentally drained.
I asked older woman who was working with me, how long she's been doing that. She answered: 20 years. I was stunned. Soon I started observing how these people, my co-employees were living (Most of them, like 90%). Working 5 days a week, reading Sun magazine and watching Big Brother daily. Getting stoned and drunk during the weekend. That was all they did. I saw how management treated us, just like cattle. That was my first experience of noticing the Matrix.
I guess it scared me so much that I started to learn more, work more and now I am where I am.

I was born the son of evil when I fuck the devil there!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:44 am 

Scarf wrote:

I get that there are worse jobs than mine heck I heard there is a job fishing where you can really lose your life :o, I'm glad I have the necessary brain power to not take on jobs like that. I believe there are at least 1,000 or more jobs that are horrible for humans period I seen it once on t.v. :geek:

Call it philosophy if you want Scarf I'm speaking the real (of my experience anyway) This shit applies to more than just jobs plenty of examples in life to that makes my signature even more plausible. But its only as real as I make it so I won't go no further into this unless you want to.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:33 am 

Go ahead, mate.

8-)

I was thinking of starting a jobs and economy thread....I just wasn't sure if we were all ready for that...

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:56 pm 

Scarf wrote:
Go ahead, mate.

8-)

I was thinking of starting a jobs and economy thread....I just wasn't sure if we were all ready for that...
Do it :geek:

Pimposophy Revisited is now finally available on Amazon in all territories!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:01 am 
The Kidd!! wrote:
Scarf wrote:
Go ahead, mate.

8-)

YESS!!! definitely do it

fufe wrote:
Well, sure, the freedom is better but.. How am I to feed myself ?
With a fork or spoon. Or even your hands lol.

There's always ways to make money on your own without slaving away at a job so your boss can get rich. Fuck that, i'd rather take risks and fail then be a slave. I will never conform.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:06 am 

Scarf wrote:
Go ahead, mate.

8-)

Do it 8-)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:27 am 

The Kidd!! wrote:
Scarf wrote:
Go ahead, mate.

8-)

Interesting. I knew you were ready, it's just....

Mikey Swag wrote:
YESS!!! definitely do it
Morpheus wrote:
Do it 8-)
...fair enough.

We could really do with a state of the US and Canada perspective.

I'll have a good think and I'll see you all in a short while.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:32 am 

Sounds good ;)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:13 am 
Site Admin

What about Mexico?

[ img ]

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:27 pm 

Mexico is welcome of course. It would be great if you could give us some political background of that country as well and how it plays into today's Mexico.

I wish we also had a France.

I have a few things to do at the moment. Let's give it a few days; we should perhaps even wait until after the American elections.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:36 pm 

I'm french ...
What I am to do to help on your project, Sir ?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:47 pm 
Site Admin

Scarf wrote:
Mexico is welcome of course. It would be great if you could give us some political background of that country as well and how it plays into today's Mexico.

I wish we also had a France.

I have a few things to do at the moment. Let's give it a few days; we should perhaps even wait until after the American elections.
Shurely I will, and I'm shure I have a shitload of work to do sir.

:)